Question Thuraya SatPhone Android Problems

petegill

Dec 4, 2023
Visit site
Hi folks, have recently purchased a Thuraya X5 Touch Sat Phone, and DON'T use it as a piece of 'Street Bling' I only use the Satellite phone mode when i'm out walking in the hills, far away from Cellular GSM. It's got TWO SIMS in it, one for terrestrial GSM, the other for Satellite Voice calls & messaging usingThuraya - just checked its data screen, it's got Android 7.1.2 loaded on it. Have been using it for a few months, and suddenly it's decided to start 'pinging' when it's sat on my bedside table at random periods througouht the night. I got p**ed off with it and turned the whole phone OFF!, and left it that way...even with the phone unplugged from it's charger AND being turned off, IT CONTINUES TO 'PING' (at random, hourly-ish periods overnight, even when turnrd off and unplugged) - the pinging noise sounds like a generic 'beep beep beep' noise and isn't a ringtone at all!!! - it's been like this for 5 days or so and is driving me bonkers!! - I've been through many of the usual 'turn it of and on again' procedures as i worked in software (& often for Nokia) for a long time, so have been around the block a few times, so thought i'd tap into your wisdom 8-()

petegill

Dec 4, 2023
Visit site
I wasn't even thinking about that. Considering it's running Android 7.1.2, that's a very good observation!
Possibly so, but it's a flat touch screen, so in technology terms it's current (& is the ONLY touch-screen SatPhone on the market). think it was released to the public (i.e. me) in spring last year. Not sure about the android it was released with, but checked online with Thuraya yesterday re firmware upgrade & it's showing as 'current', so i'll wait & see how it goes..

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
A 'few years' is very unlikely. It's technology is state-of-the-art but software might not be :-|
Well, a little Googleing suggests it was released in 2018, so a few years in a warehouse doesn't seem Farfetch'd. You should download Accubattery and let it run a few charge and discharge cycles to see what the battery health is like.

As for state of the art... it may be as far as SatPhones go but from an Android smartphone perspective it's state of 2012.

petegill

Dec 4, 2023
Visit site
Well, a little Googleing suggests it was released in 2018, so a few years in a warehouse doesn't seem Farfetch'd. You should download Accubattery and let it run a few charge and discharge cycles to see what the battery health is like.

As for state of the art... it may be as far as SatPhones go but from an Android smartphone perspective it's state of 2012.
Hope you have success with yours, give it a go and keep us updated :)