To Fold, or not to Fold.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The Mate X has been designed the wrong way round. Surely you'd want to hold the side where your hand (including any rings you may wear) isn't in contact with the folded side of the screen all the time. Also in tablet mode, surely you'd want to hold the "lump" so that it's easier to grip in your left hand (for most people anyway) so that you can easily navigate with your right? And then there's no video calling ability in tablet mode unless all the other person wants to see is what's behind the device.

And obviously there's the issue of scratching the display as the whole thing is exposed all of the time.

I think the Fold is the superior design, the only real negative is the small external display, but there are still a lot of phones out there which people use on a daily basis with a similar size so I'm not sure that's even an issue.

I wonder, if like the Kindle Oasis, you could rotate the screen to have the bump on the left side.
I think you'd do the video conferencing on the selfie side, but you couldn't see them, or use the tablet mode like you said. That selfie side looks like a small screen though.

But your other points still stand. I would also add, how often are you going to be going over the camera lens with your hand, finger, etc., as you use this. Plus as you fold it and unfold it, fingerprints all over the screen. I really only notice fingerprints when the phone is off.

Does the Fold allow you to do video conferencing as well as multi task? So you'd have several windows open?

alanjc

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
Does the Fold allow you to do video conferencing as well as multi task? So you'd have several windows open?

I'm not sure, depends if you can switch them out of immersive/full screen mode and run them windowed. I guess I can try that on my Note 9 to see but I'm not sure if split screen will be the same as the way it would work with 3 apps. I don't see why it wouldn't be though.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Interesting that now the Fold and the Mate X will now collide at the same time. This should be interesting watching these two titans go after each other.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
i would buy it eventhough people are breaking their screens...but its just wierd in folded mode...and it isnt sleek...its like 2 s10 stacked if im not wrong...