To Get or Not to get

absolutbmc

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I was hoping to get thoughts on the Razr. I was thinking about getting this phone as I am up for upgrade from my Fascinate. I am sure a lot of people will tell me to get the Maxx, but I cant justify the extra 100 for extra battery life. I have read a lot of review across the board, got a lot of info on the phone, but I wanted to hear some personal thoughts.

Also, What are the thoughts of the S3 over the Razr? I have a Fascinate and have a love hate relationship with Samsung. I think the S3 looks sick, but past experiences deter me from the phone. But something keeps pulling me to the S3.

DC Damien

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up a Razr a week ago from Craigs List and love it. A lot of nice features. Good screen, thin and beautiful. If I had an upgrade I would be seriously interested in the GS3. But the Razr does everything I want and ICS should be coming soon. Others have waited patiently for it but I think now is really around the corner. And the Razr is discounted more in June from Verizon.

lordwalker

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
When it is charged, the Razr is an excellent phone. But like you guessed I would say getting the Maxx is a no brainer. The battery on the Razr is seriously flawed, even with normal non-data crunching use. I can hardly wait until I am eligible for another upgrade.

silly_rabbit

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I got my RAZR a week ago. Its been a great phone. I'm not a heavy user and I have been averaging 10-12 hrs with a max of 15 on a full charge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ahowe125

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I would not use up an upgrade on this phone. I personally like it, but I think unless your getting a Razr Maxx, its not worth getting locked in for 2 years.

I bought mine from a friend who just upgraded to a Maxx, and the battery on the normal razr is really bad. I'm a medium to heavy user at times, and I have seen a battery only last 8-12 hours. After a light to medium day at work with a few voice calls, I'm at 30% left with 10 hours off the charger.

If your going to use up an upgrade, and can justifiy the extra money, get the S3, Razr Maxx, or GNEX over the normal Razr. Or if you leave your phone in your pocket all day, then this phone could be alright.

AND its worth noting, that other then the battery life, I have yet to find anything I don't like about the phone. Its really fast, 4g is Amazing, and I love the screen. This coming from a Droid X.

On second thought, I just remembered one other bad quality.. and it could just be mine, but it seems like the vibration device is loose or something. It just sounds like its rattling around inside the case. But that could just be a defect with my phone. Its just much louder then my Droid X.

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I think it depends on how much you plan to use it. Um a heavy talker and use mine for email primarily so not that heavy of a data user during the day. I purchased juice defender plus and rarely have to charge until I go to bed at night, so I have no problem with battery life but I do keep the charger handy just in case...

As far as the phone goes I absolutely love it. Runs so smooth and have had no problems at all. Came from the iPhone 4 and get Tue same performance and battery life but with a faster 4G and better screen in my opinion

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Hotweelz

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I would say it is definately worth the $99 they are asking for it right now. I was skeptical at first but was able to swing a deal for one at $39 so I figured what the heck. Previously my wife had owned a X2. I didn't really care for it. didn't like how it ran or how the screen looked. The Razr has changed my mind about Motorola. It is a nice phone and will be even better once the ICS OTA rolls out. Not sure why people say bad things about the screen because it looks pretty damn good to me. I also like the way they reworked thier skin/overlay or whatever the heck you want to call it. It's a keeper.:D

kombatkarl

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
The RAZR's been a great phone for me. Unless price matters, at this stage I'd get the S3 though. But as has been said you can't beat it for $99.

Cbollo

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Had my Razr for a few months now, and I absolutely love it in every way, aside from the battery. It drains like nothing else. I'm never far from a charger though, so its not a big deal for me. The s3 will no doubt be a nice phone, but the build quality won't be anything near as good as the Razr, as I have read that it has that cheap plasticy feel that all samsungs seem to have. I also personally think a 4.8" screen is too big, and I would imagine the phone will be too big to comfortably use with one hand. I also don't like samsung's UI, but thats just me

kombatkarl

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Had my Razr for a few months now, and I absolutely love it in every way, aside from the battery. It drains like nothing else. I'm never far from a charger though, so its not a big deal for me. The s3 will no doubt be a nice phone, but the build quality won't be anything near as good as the Razr, as I have read that it has that cheap plasticy feel that all samsungs seem to have. I also personally think a 4.8" screen is too big, and I would imagine the phone will be too big to comfortably use with one hand. I also don't like samsung's UI, but thats just me

You need to look at the dimensions of the phone itself, not just the screen. I thought the same thing comparing the Nexus and Razr, but the phones themselves are nearly identical, at least in length and width. When you get rid of the physical buttons and bezeling, you can get more screen into the same size form factor.

That said, I don't know the physical dimensions of the S3. But from the pics it looks like with the screen taking up most of the phone, it may have a bigger screen without a bigger phone.

Cbollo

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
You need to look at the dimensions of the phone itself, not just the screen. I thought the same thing comparing the Nexus and Razr, but the phones themselves are nearly identical, at least in length and width. When you get rid of the physical buttons and bezeling, you can get more screen into the same size form factor.

That said, I don't know the physical dimensions of the S3. But from the pics it looks like with the screen taking up most of the phone, it may have a bigger screen without a bigger phone.

Hmm thats a good point. If they can squeeze the 4.8" screen onto a phone thats the same size as my razr, that would be pretty hot. Now if only Samsung could do away with the plastic. I hear the S3 will have gorilla glass, so thats definitely a step in the right direction on build quality

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramki