Torn between waiting for iphone 7plus or getting the Note 7: Need Feedback

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I had a few Android phones after the last year doing "field testing" in trying to switch from iOS. I have always gone back due to one quirk or another but I thought I would stay with the S7 (SM 930-GF) until I kept dropping texts (in areas with good coverage). Long story short, I am back to an iPhone 6s and am debating getting a 7 plus but I am tempted by the Note 7. The concerns I have are:

1) Will having iMessage on my IPad Pro foul up and cause problems with texting on the Note 7? Should I turn off iMessage on the iPad to avoid this?

2) Battery life is very good with iPhone and will likely be better with the new generation. Can I expect to get through a full day and into the night with the N7?

3) I don't know that I am a stylus guy, but I am a director of behavioral health services for medium sized nonprofit and I wonder if a Note 7 will help with work note taking, tasks, calendar, and basic integration compared to an iPhone 6s plus( since the 7 plus isn't out yet)

4) does Touchwiz look any better with this version and how about the email and text apps? They were visually ugly as hell before.

5) I could give a **** less about customization. I just want it to work out of the box and unfortunately that is the one things that has frustrated me with Android to date.

Any good selling points would be helpful. My wife thinks I am nuts as do my coworkers because 8/10 have iphones (thus iMessage works with group texts etc).

Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

cmhsam

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Stick with apple. I have the note 7 and it's going back. Great device but it's more fluid w iOS. Customization aside the advantages of android vs iOS don't drive me to switching

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to be straight with you. Based on the questions you are asking, I think you are better off sticking with the iPhone. Many of those questions are subjective. What I think looks great, may be a disaster to you. If you think you will not use the S-Pen then don't get the Note. That's what this phone is all about in 2016. There are other big phones that are great if you just want a big phone.

Bottom line is it seems that iOS works for you. My advise is to stick with what works for you.

pmr5019

May 1, 2011
Visit site
If you want it work out of the box then stick with Apple. The only Android phone I would recommend for new-to-android users that just want it to work is a Nexus. My biggest gripe with Android (despite my love for it) is how much trial and error (with apps) and how much work you have to put in find the ones that fit your needs. Almost all stock messaging apps and launchers are garbage. To find a similar experience to apple you would have to be invested in the android ecosystem already with knowledge of the right apps, otherwise you will be disappointed. But if you are willing to put in the work I don't feel many would look back, I know I wouldn't.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
i sent my note 7 back after attempting to switch. I missed and craved android after a year hiatus with the 6s+. The fluidity and old saying "it just works" is true. I'm sad about it, but staying apple for now.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I've never had any problems with phones working out of the box, iPhone, WP or Android. All unlocked.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, go for what you know. I could never see myself using an iPhone. I'm too much into the Android ecosystem. I wouldn't know nor would I ever care to know how Apple operates.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
1) Yes... there's some guides out there (and on AC) that might give you some pointers
2) Depends on your usage. If you churn and burn on the Note 7, you probably won't get a full day. Or you could go two days between charges... iOS locks down background data, so they idle better than Android stuff, but Android stuff is a lot more functional in that regard. It's a tradeoff.. functionality vs standby time
3) If you want/need to use your phone for business related junk or 'office on the go'.. there's honestly nothing that can match the Note's feature set. Certainly not an iPhone.
4) Latest TW is better... it's getting closer to stock Android and there are some themes you can load that strip away even more TW junk. But the Samsung apps can still look pretty junk... but there's a wealth of replacements for them all... Android doesn't lock you into any particular apps for system functions... SMS or keyboards or browsers or whatever...
5) I dunno... every halfway decent new Android works out of the box. Sure, there might be a ton of customization options, but its not like setting up a Minecraft server where you have to sift through a config file that's a few hundred lines long. Power it up, put in your Google account info and you're good to go. That Android phones don't 'just work' is a myth.

I'll say take a poke at the Note... :) You'll never know unless you tried to be honest. Everyone's use case is different and just because someone tried switching and didn't like it doesn't mean you will feel the same. I mean, personally, anytime I need to use an iPhone (I have to test software on them frequently) the urge to throw it against the wall builds shortly after I unlock the thing. Takes a lot of willpower to not terminate the thing's existence.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I just picked up a note 7 this morning coming from a 6s running iOS 10 and so far the note blows the 6s away. It has a better camera to start and Google now is much faster and accurate than siri.
The screen is georgous which also works well in direct sunlight.
I would go play with one at a store like I did and you will see the difference between the two devices. I don't know what the new Apple devices will bring but this note 7 so fat rocks.

Doug B

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like you are in the same boat I was just in with the exception for me not being in meetings all the time. I just switched back to the N7 after three 2 years with the 6 Plus as of yesterday. I still have my MacBook Pro and iPad Mini. I was able to find solutions to sync everything but still wont be able to use iMessage to the very nature of it being proprietary. iMessage can still be used on your other iOS devices but others will have to use you email address to chat. If you still have your phone number linked it will cause all sorts of havoc. I can still make appointments in my calendar and have them sync with my wife's iCloud account. It all depends on how much work you want to put into it to make it work for you.

I have no loyalty to any company and have switched from Android to iOS and back for years. I tend to get board after a couple years with each. But as of late, since the death of Steve Jobs, Apple has lost its steam when it comes to innovation. The N7 has evolved quite well. I still have my N1 in a box somewhere.

Ultimately it is up to you as others have said. PM me if you still have questions. I have done this switch many times and hopefully can give you some insight.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Looks like you're better off with an iPhone but:

Why do you even consider switching? Is there something you wanted?
And the stylus, which is basically the only reason you'd want it over the s7 edge. If you don't think you'd use it then there's not really a point in buying it. But to be fair, people tend to use it more than they think. Don't know about actually using it for real productivity, but that's how Samsung advertise it.

But the main advantages over the iphone are the display and camera, and all the features you apparently don't care for. The interface is 'cleaner' than the s7 so you'd probably be okay with that part, but other than that if you didn't like the s7 you probably wouldn't like the note. Depending on how much you want the stylus.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I'll say stick with the iPhone. If you just use your phone for basic purposes (email, messaging, browsing the Web etc) then I think the iPhone does it slightly better. Push notifications on iPhones work more reliably than Samsung. In my experience they have.

But what in trying to say is that, the use you have won't 'enhance' your experience by switching. The Spen is nice. I'd recommend you get it only for that. But if you just want to use your phone for basic tasks I'd suggest you stick with the iPhone. And that too till next year because I don't think iphone 7 will bring anything new to the table.

I always recommend people switching from ios to android to go for a non Samsung device first. IPhone to nexus/HTC/Motorola/Sony switch goes much much MUCH better than iphone to Samsung. Samsung is full of compromises but full of features. The rest of android phones work with almost no compromises but have lesser features than Samsung. Ios works with absolutely no compromises but has no features.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
If you prefer Apple stay with Apple. I like the customization of Android and I am a huge fan of Samsung. I have to use an ipad at my job and I don't like it. Period. I have never liked apple products and not is not to say they aren't good. Just not for my liking. No one can decide for you. The Note 7 is an awesome device . It has gotten great reviews. I knew this would be my upgrade because I have used all the Notes and I just like them. Am very pleased with it.

Posted via the Android Central App

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
With recent reviews with general opinion saying it's not the fastest Android out there and posts here with reports of lag and possible fragility on the glass, I still think as of right now the Note 7 is probably the best phone of the year.

iPhone 7/7 Plus will probably be in stores in about 30 days... wait and find out what will really be on the new phone.

Even though not much expected out of iPhone 7... there will probably be a new A10 Processor. And if the Note 7 and all others are currently comparing performance with iPhone 6 with A9, I think it's a safe bet A10 phones will be faster... maybe fastest until the 830 comes out. And I expect battery to be as good if not better than this year. No Amoled and no all glass design until iPhone 8. But the iPhone 6 screen and design is so solid... I'd probably get a iPhone 7 and rock with that for a couple of years to give a year to sort out the iPhone 8.

The iPhone will be a solid phone. iPhones have a rep like Lexus' imo. Just that it also has a rep like Lexus of not necessarily being a driver's car.

That said I am leaning on toward Note 7. I like it that its got a bigger screen than my iPhone 6 but still smaller than the 6 Plus. Love the Amoled screen and want to try out the S-pen for note taking because many times I found myself somewhere needing to jot something down and the note taking while AOD sounds like the solution. Also other features like secure folder and currently best camera and water resistance.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
When my G3 died and forced me into an iPhone 6, the only think I knew I would hate to lose was Google Now and Google Maps because I used voice queries with OK Google ALL the time. But I did a work around by installing the Google app and putting the icon on my main home screen at thumb reach and even though it took one more step to press/load app, I could say "OK Google" and it worked just as well and if I asked for Directions, it used Google Maps and didn't use the better navigation of Maps.

Funny... Google apps work as well if not better on iOS than on their own OS lol.

I just picked up a note 7 this morning coming from a 6s running iOS 10 and so far the note blows the 6s away. It has a better camera to start and Google now is much faster and accurate than siri.

Jean Sagarese

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I switched from a iPhone and am in no hurry to go back - I will have to work with the S-Pen to get that to work better but if I can use it to write my emails and have them end up looking like I typed them without all the misspelled words eventually I won't be typing anything

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe