Touchwiz vs Nova?

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I've been using Nova Launcher on my V20 for the past year and I just upgraded to a Note 8 yesterday. Yeah, I know this isn't the Note group but this is a bit of a generic topic.

I've been really impressed by the stock setup (apps and launcher) on this phone. I almost feel like it has been customized with a independent launcher of some sorts. :) I think Samsung is getting a bit Apple like in their UI polish.

What I miss is a dark/black theme. I did try out some themes but they don't seem to have the polish level that the stock theme does. I also discovered my eyes see double a bit more with black on white for some reason. It may be a matter of toning down from pure white fonts.

What are your thoughts on Nova on these devices vs stock setup?

Anyone find a good dark theme?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
This is a black theme I got from the Samsung themes app on my Note 8. I still use Microsoft Launcher or Nova too but the black theme is system wide regardless of the launcher

Attachments

• 3663.jpg
    3663.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20180218-150415.jpg
    Screenshot_20180218-150415.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_20180218-150357.jpg
    Screenshot_20180218-150357.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 112

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I've been a nova prime user for as long as I remember, nova is great at what it does and for most Android phones is the better option than the stock launcher

.....but

I can't seem to leave Samsung's stock launcher on my S8, it's just amazing and so beautiful and I love how small the widgets info is (example is my bible widget, on stock it shows all the info in a smaller amount of space but on nova the widget needs to be bigger or it'll get cut off)

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have the pixel launcher on my phone and it's all blacked out via substratum. However the one thing that keeps on frustrating me is that my phone UI keep's on crashing for some reason. Drives me nuts.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I've been a nova prime user for as long as I remember, nova is great at what it does and for most Android phones is the better option than the stock launcher

.....but

I can't seem to leave Samsung's stock launcher on my S8, it's just amazing and so beautiful and I love how small the widgets info is (example is my bible widget, on stock it shows all the info in a smaller amount of space but on nova the widget needs to be bigger or it'll get cut off)

That is exactly how I feel so far. It's highly unusual for a hardware manufacture to do good a good UX like this.

I think I may have to stray away from the dark side anyway. I think the white background tightens up my pupils and makes it easier to focus. I'm on medication that causes me to have a hard time focusing in low light conditions.

stuckingoo

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I have a problem with TouchWiz not playing well with certain widgets. The font size on Weather Timeline is awfully small for example.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a problem with TouchWiz not playing well with certain widgets. The font size on Weather Timeline is awfully small for example.

I see that with the Weather Underground widget. I'd say it's partly the apps fault and perhaps scaling.

I try to keep my home screen simple with the google widget, calendar widget and flashlight toggle. I haven't figured out how to get the weather widget looking nice yet. I used to be anti-widget too. :)

sleepnclass

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I don’t mind Samsung’s ui but I’m sure I’m in the minority. I used to use nova all the time but now when i use it on my s8+ or note 8 it slows it down really bad so I gave up on theming.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Nova

Solely due to the amount of customization. In fact, I’ve actually made my grid spacing incredibly tight, making better use of that display

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
As you say, this isn't the Nova thread, but I've been running Samsungs for years (until last month) and I've been using Nova since it came out. That was always the first thing I did to a new phone - install Nova. Even on my new Pixel 2, pure Android, I'm running Nova. The Pixel launcher is - to my mind - way better than TouchWiz, but I still prefer Nova. No theme - the stock Pixel 2 wallpaper, the stock Icons, they're all okay, but I prefer some of the things I can do with Nova. (Resetting the screens up was as simple as backing up on the old phone, moving the backup file to the Pixel and restoring. Zap, my old screen [after installing the apps, of course - that's the one thing I don't like, Nova won't pick up apps you installed after restoring it, they have to be installed first, or you have to delete the Android heads, But I still prefer Nova.)

k_kjong

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I used to use Microsoft Launcher on my S8+. Pretty haopy with it, fast, can search app anywhere, and pretty clean. But after I tried using the stock launcher, turns out it's pretty good, and the unread badge is quite reliable. It's kinda similar with iOS' unread badge, which I'm used to.

MauDebbie

Feb 22, 2018
Visit site
Hello

I'm new to this forum.. Nice to meet you all.
I use the Nova Launcher...I came across it when that One Launcher stopped launching. I come to find out that One Launcher did that quite often on all types of phones. So Nova it is for me!

filanto

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the notification of the system wide and not dependent on launcher. I love the menus now. I have to get a life