Transfer Upgrade to 2GB Line to Preserve Unlimited

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I think it's safe to say that Verizon's INTENT was to force a line off of unlimited data every time a subsidy was given and a contract extended.
I don't think anyone will dispute the INTENT. However, intent and real life experience can sometimes be different. I've also been told repeatedly by VZW customer service that using any upgrade directly or indirectly, as in an alternate upgrade will remove unlimited data. However, I've also seen enough instances where people have used the VZW website to transfer an upgrade to another line and keep unlimited data on the original line.

It still doesn't seem logical from Verizon's perspective that if I use my upgrade directly, I lose Unlimited data, but if I transfer my upgrade to another line, perhaps even one that never had unlimited data, that not only can I get the device at a subsidy but also extend the contract, and by default, the Unlimited data, on the line that, had i used the upgrade directly, would be forced to choose a new data plan.

So basically, you could have a Nationwide family share plan with 5 lines, since that is the maximum, with 4 that have unlimited data and 1 that is either a basic phone or a smartphone with tiered data. If each line that has unlimited data transfers their upgrade to the 5th line first, they can get the subsidized device, extend their contract and keep unlimited data....and of course, when the 5th line is eligible for it's own upgrade, they won't need to transfer it, but can use it directly, activate it temporarily on Line 5, and then transfer the device to any of the 4 remaining unlimited data lines.

Verizon probably never intended such a scenario, but it's still happening and will probably continue until they alter the website and close the loophole.

Regardless, I don't really have a stake in this either way, since I only have 2 lines on my account and need to keep unlimited data on both of them.
I don't even have the option of adding a 3rd line, since my 2 existing lines are on single plans. However, I am saving more money with my current account configuration than I ever wood if I had a family share plan anyway....that may also be counter intuitive but it's my real life situation.

However, it may be in my interest too that the loophole stay open, simply because if there are still people under contract that have unlimited data, there may be less reason for VZW to screw with someone who is out of contract.. If people are still doing this "loophole" in the next 5-10 years, go for it. My hope is that the pool of unlimited data users will eventually be small enough that Verizon will simply let it be. As of now, they seem to have the network capacity and bandwith to support their current user base.

Their argument for doing away with unlimited data plans was to better maintain the integrity of their data network as more and more users migrate to smartphones....Of course, it probably doesn't hurt that tiered plans also generate more potential revenue. If the pool of unlimited data users is 50% of what it is now in 3-5 years....and I would tend to believe it will be lower, they may just let it be.

Last edited:

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Regardless, I don't really have a stake in this either way, since I only have 2 lines on my account and need to keep unlimited data on both of them.
I don't even have the option of adding a 3rd line, since my 2 existing lines are on single plans.
Isn't there the option of adding a line to an individual account and when you do it automatically converts it to a family share plan? Or would that drop unlimited?

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Verizon probably never intended such a scenario, but it's still happening and will probably continue until they alter the website and close the loophole.

My hope is that the pool of unlimited data users will eventually be small enough that Verizon will simply let it be. As of now, they seem to have the network capacity and bandwith to support their current user base.

If the pool of unlimited data users is 50% of what it is now in 3-5 years....and I would tend to believe it will be lower, they may just let it be.

This is the way I see it, too.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I was playing around with the website and going through the motions of adding a 3rd line to account and selecting the Droid DNA, and it did, surprisingly give me the option to choose one of the new share everything share plans or one of the old Nationwide plans, so I could create a new family share plan and keep Unlimited data on either of the 2 unlimited lines.

However, my situation is unique in that I am actually better off for my usage patterns and needs, to keep my 2 single lines as single lines. If I took either one and used it to create a family share plan with my new 3rd line, it would raise my bill substantially.

You don't really see any dramatic savings until you have a Nationwide share plan with at least 3 lines, and it is those people (that have 3,4, or 5 line Nationwide family share plans) that can really exploit this loophole to its fullest.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
People are doing it and keeping their unlimited. Perhaps it is a glitch in the website.
You already have a Nationwide share plan with 2 lines and 700 minutes, so if you add a 3rd line for $9.99 + taxes and fees, you can use that upgrade directly, activate the device on the 3rd line first, and then transfer it to one of your 2 existing lines and keep unlimited data.

Then, in the future, provided the website is unchanged and the loophole still open, you can transfer the upgrade from lines 1 or 2 to line 3 first, then activate the device on line 3, and then transfer it back to lines 1 or 2 and keep unlimited data on the first two lines.

You seem to be a prime candidate for this loophole.

Both this loophole and the (now closed) unlimited data loophole are similar in that they are both software based. The first example lets the customer use the website directly to do something that I don't think Verizon ever intended. The second (and now closed) example required that a customer call in and have a representative add a feature to their line that would trigger the software to also add the Unlimited data option to their line, and again do something that I don't think Verizon ever intended.

Just by the fact that they closed the first loophole leads me to assume that they want to make sure new lines of service can't get it, and that existing lines that had it and lost it, can't get it back.

They also haven't been shy in openly stating that their intent is to get people off of unlimited data, either directly by emphasizing the future integrity of their data network, or indirectly by saying that customers want share everything plans and that they are just helping customers get what they want.....

Their official way for allowing those that have unlimited data and keep it involves buying a phone at full retail and not extending the contract. They have to know that buying a phone at full retail is something that most people financially can't or won't do. They also probably know that once someone is off contract, Verizon is really free to alter the terms to however they want.

The fact that a regular customer with a grandfathered family share plan and access to the internet can use the website in such a way as to get a discounted device, keep unlimited data, and extend their Unlimited Data contract, doesn't change Verizon's intent and the reason I am calling it a loophole.

However, I'm not going to put it in the same category as "stealing money from a blind man" or "taking candy from a baby" and openly encourage people to take advantage of it. Verizon is certainly not infantile, visually impaired or the poor victim of circumstances beyond their control. Whether or not they take action to prevent this from happening in the future remains to be seen.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
You already have a Nationwide share plan with 2 lines and 700 minutes, so if you add a 3rd line for $9.99 + taxes and fees, you can use that upgrade directly, activate the device on the 3rd line first, and then transfer it to one of your 2 existing lines and keep unlimited data.

Then, in the future, provided the website is unchanged and the loophole still open, you can transfer the upgrade from lines 1 or 2 to line 3 first, then activate the device on line 3, and then transfer it back to lines 1 or 2 and keep unlimited data on the first two lines.

You seem to be a prime candidate for this loophole.
yes, this is my plan. My upgrades aren't due until the end of August and I was trying to get another family member to join our plan but she is undecided at the moment. It would be nice to have her on the plan and then the extra line wouldn't be a "waste." However, even if she doesn't join our plan, you can still recoup the cost of the additional line (which comes to about $15 a month where I live after all the taxes and surcharges are added in) by using that line's upgrade to get an iPhone and selling it NIB.

Both this loophole and the (now closed) unlimited data loophole are similar in that they are both software based. The first example lets the customer use the website directly to do something that I don't think Verizon ever intended. The second (and now closed) example required that a customer call in and have a representative add a feature to their line that would trigger the software to also add the Unlimited data option to their line, and again do something that I don't think Verizon ever intended.

Just by the fact that they closed the first loophole leads me to assume that they want to make sure new lines of service can't get it, and that existing lines that had it and lost it, can't get it back.

I definitely think they didn't want any new unlimited data lines so it was imperative that they close that loophole, but this new one seems pretty harmless in that not many people will take advantage of it and so it won't result in too many people not dropping unlimited data when they would have otherwise. The one thing that I think that VZW will care about is that it extends the contract on the unlimited data line another 2 years, which I am sure they don't want. If they see too much of that, I am sure they will close the loophole.

ballsy1o3

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
hey guys, so i'm in the same boat as a lot of people and am trying to upgrade my phone as well as keep my coveted unlimited data plan. This may be a stupid question, but I just wanted to make sure: If I have a smart phone line with unlimited data plan and a second smart phone line that isn't unlimited, can i simply upgrade the limited smart phone line and then later on switch the phone over to my unlimited plan? Everyone's been saying to use a dumb line so I'm not sure if upgrading a smart phone line that isn't unlimited would work.

Also, I'm upgrading from an Iphone 4s to a DNA. The iphone unfortunately wasn't 4g, will I lose my unlimited if im upgrading from 3g to 4g?

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
hey guys, so i'm in the same boat as a lot of people and am trying to upgrade my phone as well as keep my coveted unlimited data plan. This may be a stupid question, but I just wanted to make sure: If I have a smart phone line with unlimited data plan and a second smart phone line that isn't unlimited, can i simply upgrade the limited smart phone line and then later on switch the phone over to my unlimited plan? Everyone's been saying to use a dumb line so I'm not sure if upgrading a smart phone line that isn't unlimited would work.
Yes, that will work. The reason people are mentioning dumb phone lines is because if you have to add a line to do this because all of your lines are unlimited and you don't want to lose unlimited on any of the lines, it is cheapest to go with a dumb phone line.

Also, I'm upgrading from an Iphone 4s to a DNA. The iphone unfortunately wasn't 4g, will I lose my unlimited if im upgrading from 3g to 4g?
I don't think so.

nerdyessence

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

You can upgrade the limited data line and put the DNA on the line that had the 4s. But if you upgrade the 4s (by itself) that has the unlimited data you'll lose the unlimited data.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

nerdyessence

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Isn't there the option of adding a line to an individual account and when you do it automatically converts it to a family share plan? Or would that drop unlimited?

Never had a customer lose the unlimited data due to rate plan change or converting from a single to a family.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
You CANNOT keep unlimited data doing an alternate upgrade with an unlimited data plan. I work for VZW and tried to do this with a line on a customers account today.

Customer had an add a line that was eligible for an upgrade but wanted to put the smartphone on the unlimited data line. It'll remove the unlimited data on the unlimited line.

The only way around this is to upgrade the add a line and put the new equipment on the unlimited line. The point I was making with the link, is keeping the unlimited data can only be done if you buy the device out right and NOT upgrading the add a line on the account.

I cannot even begin to tell you how wrong this info is. You must have been told wrong. In fact when my GF got the droid DNA the verizon employee argued with me too saying she would loose unlimited data. I persisted, and she disappeared for about 15 min then came back and said "ok lets try it". Then bam she kept unlimited data.

Edit: my apologies, I think what you said is what we did. What you said is correct.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
So many conflicting view points... it seems a lot of posts don't list all info to reach a general consensus. Anywho, I'll post my data point (wall of text to follow):

I had:
3 lines, Nationwide Talk & Text Share with 1400 Minutes (unlimited txt and unlimited data on all 3 lines)
This was a really sweet deal where base charge was $100 plus $10 for each line plus $29.99 for unlimited data on each line. However, each line gets a $20 discount on the data. Was originally told touching *anything* on my plans would lose the $20 data discounts.

Line 3 was using an LG flip phone. Used its upgrade online to order a Note2. Activated the Note2 on line 3. Line 3 loses $29.99 unlimited data and $20 discount. Switches to $30 2GB plan. Rest of lines data/discounts unaffected (!!). Reactivated LG flip phone on line 3. Data drops off line 3 completely (didn't want it anyways).

Activated Note2 on my line (Line 1). Line 1 still has unlimited data and data discount (I think... the promo doesn't show up online, just on the bill itself so I can't confirm until my next billing cycle closes). I definitely still have unlimited data on Line 1 and Line 2.

Here pretty soon I will be choosing a phone to upgrade Line 2 with. At that time, I will try to transfer the Line 2 upgrade to Line 3. I'll know for sure then if transferring and upgrade OFF an unlimited line will cause any issues.

bsbuggs

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
ok guys pulled the trigger...current plan
4 lines of unl data
1 dumb line..

1 of the unlim lines has an upgrade...went online to my veizon....transferred upgrade from the unlit line to the dumb line...order went through no problem
Ordered the iphone5 at 199.99.
Next day air so tomorrow I will activate he phone on the dumb phone line..wait 1 day then I will switch phones with an unlim line and return dumb phone to dumb status and place flip phone back on..

nerdyessence

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It will. You'll end up losing the unlimited data if in fact, you want to get a subsidized device on the line that has the unlimited plan.

Had a friend that had unlimited data with his IPhone 4S upgrade to the 5 and lost it. I posted a link from the VZW website that takes about unlimited line upgrades in a previous post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys86