Transformer vs. Thrive? And is the Xoom dead to the world?

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I am looking into buying a tablet very soon.

I have been searching on google for the " 'n' best tablets of 2011." Most of them contain all the same tablets. The Asus transformer, the Samsung galaxy tab 10.1, toshiba thrive, and the HTC Flyer. However, out of the maybe 10 or so I have looked at, the motorola xoom was only on maybe 3 of them. Is the Xoom dying out now with all the new tablets coming in?

I have been looking at reviews of a bunch of tablets, as well as comparisons, but I am still puzzled to what kind of tablet I want.

Right now, I hear that the Thrive and Flyer are on sale for $299 at Best Buy. I like HTC Sense a lot, but the 10" of the Thrive appeals to me a bit more.

I like the Galaxy tab a lot, but it's a little too expensive for myself right now.

The ASUS transformer is at a good price of $250 at Best Buy now I think. What are your opinions of the Transformer versus the Thrive?

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at that special as well. However I don't NEED LTE on my tablet. I mean, it would be nice on road trips and such, but I could use my Thunderbolt to tether

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Dont overlook the Sony. I have been very pleased...

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Oh! I completely forgot about the Sony! I did see it in some lists of the top tablets of 2011 as well.
I only have a few, slight issues with the Sony S.

My main one is that, at least on amazon, it is about $50 more expensive than the Transformer. That's my biggest concern. However, I am still shopping around, and can hopefully will find one that's better priced.

Next, is the keyboard. I really need a tablet with an attachable keyboard for school. I'm already taking in my Macbook Pro, but that gets a little too heavy in my backpack. I need something lighter that will work for notes just well. I know that you can get a bluetooth keyboard with the Sony. However, I like the keyboard with the Transformer simply because it's a dock, and you also have the ability to save room in your backpack by folding the tablet onto the dock, like a netbook. However, this is a minor concern. If I did indeed get the Sony, I have lots of room in my backpack, or I could even get a separate case that will hold the Tablet and the keyboard.

Lastly is the design. I think that it's just about the same weight as the iPad 2, correct? But how is the wedge like design? Is it uncomfortable to hold?

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Also, another few questions,

How is battery life on the Sony?
Does the fact that the front facing camera is less than one megapixel impact you?
Will the Sony S be getting Ice Cream Sandwhich?

END

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, I would personally get the Asus Transformer, and here is why-

Display. Has a beautiful IPS display.
Asus. The company has really supported this device with very speedy updates.
Price. The price you are looking at would be hard to beat.
Future. The Transformer according to Asus will be getting ICS.

We own three different tablets (all diff OS's) basically when anyone asks, it is either Transformer or iPad that we recommend.
'Course, the Prime is coming in a couple of weeks.

Hope this helped you.

:)

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Well, I would personally get the Asus Transformer, and here is why-

Display. Has a beautiful IPS display.
Asus. The company has really supported this device with very speedy updates.
Price. The price you are looking at would be hard to beat.
Future. The Transformer according to Asus will be getting ICS.

We own three different tablets (all diff OS's) basically when anyone asks, it is either Transformer or iPad that we recommend.
'Course, the Prime is coming in a couple of weeks.

Hope this helped you.

:)

Thank you for your help! This really did help me a lot. Although I would really like to get the Prime, the Asus Transformer (OG) is really appealing to me right now. It's at a good price, and has everything I need. I think I will be getting it!

That said, if I can stretch my budget and patience out, maybe I will get myself the Prime!

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Lastly is the design. I think that it's just about the same weight as the iPad 2, correct? But how is the wedge like design? Is it uncomfortable to hold?

The shape is sweet. Even though the actual center of gravity is still in the center, it just fits your hand so well. Plus if you set it down, it is enough incline to fight glare and auto rotate the screen. I didnt like the wedge at first, but it grew on me quickly.

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Also, another few questions,

How is battery life on the Sony?
Does the fact that the front facing camera is less than one megapixel impact you?
Will the Sony S be getting Ice Cream Sandwhich?

I get about 8 hours of solid messing around time. That is watching movies, browsing, and playing games non stop. It can go about 36 hours with light to moderate use.
The front facing camera is about the same as the Bionic, but it takes decent enough pictures. I just walked out and snapped these, the one of me is with the front, the other is the rear camera.
The sony's are supposed to be getting ICS. Remember, there is the other Sony tablet still to be released, so support should continue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001