Trouble getting Droid new Service

Lschinaia

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure you guys are flooded with this same question, but you're my only hope at this point. I got a Droid Bionic from a friend because he upgraded and I didn't have a smartphone. At any rate, I've been using it off wifi these past few months. I decided to test the sim, and got a H2o sim for it, and activated the service.
I've tested the sim in another phone I use at work, and it works fine.

Here's where the issue plagues. The service bar has a little blue triangle over it, which I came to find means the service is roaming. It's stuck in this mode. When it boots, the screen says "Unknown sim card installed" no prompt to enter a code or what have you. So I asked Verizon and they said all 4g devices are unlocked. I asked my friend and he said he paid off the contract, and that's how he upgraded. They just took his sim card for verizon out, and handed him back the phone.

When I try to make a call it says "Outgoing calls are restricted by FDN" and the "Roaming Indicator is activated" I've tried googling every combo to shut these issues off, with no help.

Ok, so I tried writing and paid for a code on freeunlocks.com. They took forever to get back to me with a "sorry we cannot help you email" stating if I don't have a prompt for a code my device can never be unlocked. I find this hard to believe, that's why I'm here imploring your help. Oh please. I don't have the money to get a contract with a company and get a new phone, and would like to keep this darn phone. How can I unlock it?!! or is it even locked?

Is it locked by Verizon, or Motorola? Thousands of people unlock their phones yet mine is hopelessly out of luck? Some state it's a CDMA phone, but it takes a GSM sim too. I don't even know.
At the very least, tell me whether I should just give up and toss it down the stairs.

Thanks
Leigh

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I found this on the H2O website:

The H2O wireless Unlimited plan is one of the premier unlimited GSM plans in the USA,*utilizing the extensive AT&T network.

I don't know much about switching carriers and such, but my guess is a compatibility issue trying to access the ATT towers. There are how-to's for getting the Bionic to work on ATT if you Google it. I don't know if that alone would take care of your issue or if it'd require additional steps to then accept the prepaid SIM. I know this isn't a ton of help, but hopefully it gets you pointed in the right direction.

Lschinaia

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I've researched until I'm so confused. My issue is also, it says the Droid Bionic is unlocked as a 4g device on Verizon's website. Motorola support says a hard reset would set up the new sim, but not sure on that.

I've watched the Bionic to At&T videos but they don't really seem feasible.

My biggest question is they state the Bionic is a CDMA phone, then why is there a sim card? Why does the setting say "LTE/CDMA, GSM etc" and it's set as a global device. The sim is being detected, jut stuck in roaming mode.

I thought of rooting the phone, but not even sure if it would help connect it to the GSM network. Why does it take a GSM sim if it's not part or the cell service radio?

I'm befuddled.

**edit***
Just finished a confusing chat with Verizon, though they claim all their 4g LTE devices are unlocked! Here's where the double talk comes in, the GSM sim can only be used on their network. They are the ones that run GSM. Hmm could have sworn other companies used it too. And you can buy a prepaid sim from them, for 45 dollars a month, but you won't get monthly bills.

I don't know what crazy juice they are drinking over at Verizon, but that's called contradiction or irony. You can have prepaid as long as it's a monthly stipend of 45 dollars a month. And the phone is unlocked, but the sim card can only be used on THEIR GSM network.

I'm going to buy Verizon a dictionary.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, the LTE network is GSM based, so even Verizon and Sprint 4G LTE capable phones require a SIM card for data. Since the Bionic sill uses CDMA for voice, it would make sense that it wouldn't work (for calls at least) on a GSM carrier unless you took steps to enable it. I.E. the AT&T conversion. I think that's likely your biggest sticking point right now. If you can't figure out how to enable the GSM radio for voice, then I doubt you'll get it to work with H2O.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caroltheresa61