Turning off camera sound

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I keep asking stupid questions but I can't for the life of me I can't figure out how to turn off the camera shutter sound when taking pictures. I searched through every menu I could find.

What am I missing?

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you can. something about a peeping tom/under the stairs deterrent. Some posted that in another thread about this. I have looked but only for like 5 mins since its not a bother for me...

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
There was a patch available for the Photon that would allow you to disable this sound without having root access. I don't want to post a link here since I'm not sure it would work for the E4GT but I can say that it did work perfectly on my old Photon.

paulgallaher

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
From another site:
How To: Disable Camera Shutter Sounds on Samsung Galaxy S II | TechnoBolt

1. Create a file called ?local.prop? in /data/ if it doesn?t exist. Example: ?/data/local.prop?
2. Open the file ?/data/local.prop?
3. add the line to the file:
Code:
ro.camera.sound.forced=0
4. Reboot and all sound in the camera app is completely silent.
5. To recover the sound, you can either delete the local.prop file or change the code to:
Code
ro.camera.sound.forced=1

I did this and it did turn off the startup sound when the phone turns on, but it did NOT silence the shutter or auto focus sounds.

Perhaps someone with Linux expertise can run with this tweak and actually silence the shutter too.

paulgallaher

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
There was a patch available for the Photon that would allow you to disable this sound without having root access. I don't want to post a link here since I'm not sure it would work for the E4GT but I can say that it did work perfectly on my old Photon.
Post away....we'll risk it!

tazletoes

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Just download silent camera on the market. The pictures are just sent to the gallery. Plus, this a lot easier than using the compliated root explorer

Firefoxdc

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
May be late in the day but here's how to turn off your SAMSUNG S2 camera shutter sound in 3 or 4 taps.

1 Tap apps
2 Tap settings then scroll to the bottom
3 tap Accessibility scroll to the bottom
4 Tap Turn off all sounds

Turn back on when done with camera.

this may work on others too.