Two issues: ring/vibrate and flashing LED

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Same here - I'm going after battery savings, and I almost never need to respond to emails on my phone right away.

:p Yeah, same here!

I'm just amazed that a company like HTC could release a phone in which settings like this have no impact.

I've also noticed something similar in setting sound preferences in the personalization panel (the little artist's palette in the lower right corner of the homescreen). The preferences I set there seem to have no impact. I still have to go into each app (phone, messages, calendar) and set them manually. What's the point of having a personalization panel with options that don't DO anything? :confused:

I've noticed with my phone the LED doesn't stay flashing constantly. I've heard the phone go off from another room and by time I walk in 5 minutes later I'm not seeing the LED light flash. So maybe it's set to turn off after a certain time? Can someone else check to confirm this.

In regards to the personalization panel, that is where you set the default settings. So unless the app you grab is set to auto-use default, it wont use those settings. Sometimes apps come pre-configured to use certain notification patterns.

pearlmikejam

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed with my phone the LED doesn't stay flashing constantly. I've heard the phone go off from another room and by time I walk in 5 minutes later I'm not seeing the LED light flash. So maybe it's set to turn off after a certain time? Can someone else check to confirm this.

In regards to the personalization panel, that is where you set the default settings. So unless the app you grab is set to auto-use default, it wont use those settings. Sometimes apps come pre-configured to use certain notification patterns.

I have just noticed my LED does not stay flashing. I am not sure what the timeout is, but it does not seem to be consistent.

Eighty_3#AC

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
That is where you turn the flash on or off. So for those looking to turn it off to the above mentioned section of settings.

Apparently, you did not take the time to read the entire thread. The problem isn't unselecting or selecting it. The problem is unselecting it but it continues to flash. :-$

pearlmikejam

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Apparently, you did not take the time to read the entire thread. The problem isn't unselecting or selecting it. The problem is unselecting it but it continues to flash. :-$

I am the opposite of the others. I want the notifications to remain flashing until I clear the notification. I do not like the timeout. If I am away from my phone for a while, I want to see the LED flash if I have a notification, not if I have a new notification in the last 10 minutes or so.

Eighty_3#AC

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Inasmuch as it is a matter of personal preference, if it is unselected, it should not blink. If it is selected, it should blink until the user checks their mail, messages, and/or missed calls.

pearlmikejam

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Inasmuch as it is a matter of personal preference, if it is unselected, it should not blink. If it is selected, it should blink until the user checks their mail, messages, and/or missed calls.

I completely agree. Just to clarify...I have all my notifications set to flash the LED, but for some reason they stop after a set amount of time, which I do not want.

Maybe this is a way to conserve battery life, but I would like to have control over it.

pearlmikejam

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully when they update us to Gingerbread, all our problems will be resolved. :p

Amen to that. I saw a custom ROM for the Inc S that was Gingerbread with Sense 3 elements (lockscreen, notification toggles). I sure hope we get a little more than the GB build from the Thunderbolt, but that may be wishful thinking.

steve13

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree. Just to clarify...I have all my notifications set to flash the LED, but for some reason they stop after a set amount of time, which I do not want.

Maybe this is a way to conserve battery life, but I would like to have control over it.

I actually emailed HTC about this, because I too want the led to flash until I tell it to stop so I can make sure I don't miss a notification. Their reply was they limit it to five minutes to conserve battery life. I've switched to Handcent to handle my texting and in their settings I set the reminder notifications to five minutes. I've tested it and have had the led blinking for 30 min which is good enough for me. I just don't know what to do about missed calls yet.

rana.b4523

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Even I have the same issue with the LEDs flashing even after the phone is turned off.

I and my mate took the galaxy s 3 on the same day.

in his phone when all LED notifications is OFF his LEDs never flash on new emails, missed calls or even sms and when turned on it flashes for the notifications.

But in my phone even when I turn off the LED for Notifications it still flashes on missed call sms emails n all.

so this makes me think that my device is faulty.... shall I claim it for warranty ?

nsanders

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone found a resolution for this issue? I just got my DInc2 replaced via warranty (faulty USB port), and I have this problem with my replacement. I do not remember my original unit having this problem.

I sit at a computer all day, so I do not need to waste my battery with email notifications. I only want SMS and missed call notifications.

Update ...

I may have figured it out (for me anyway). It turns out that I missed on more setting. I use Yahoo and Gmail, but there is also the internal "Mail" app. When I changed the notification setting in that app, I think I fixed it. So far so good.

Update #2 ...

I lied. Problem is still there.

Last edited:

nsanders

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've narrowed down the culprit ... Yahoo mail. Now if I could just get it to quit flashing my notification light.

nsanders

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's fixed. Not sure what I did (if anything). Now I only get the light notifications that I want (SMS & Missed calls). I did get an update from Yahoo yesterday. I'm not sure if that fixed it or not. Regardless, I'm happy! :D