Two OEM Samsung Docks arrived today . . .

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Some comments for anyone contemplating a Dock: They are of a nice solid build. I know they drop down to like $12 within a year, but $35 is worth it to me since the Charge is so new.

Many pics on the web show the dock as being grey in color. I almost didn't order it because I wanted black. "It's black".

Each came with a travel charger (mini usb connection). I paid an extra $8 for the docks that come with an extra OEM battery that stores (and charges) under a lid in the dock.

The dock can be plugged into a laptop by usb too instead of using the ac travel charger.

It works great as when you place the Charge in the cradle it automatically opens the "desk cradle" app that's already in your applications. After a few minutes the face switches to black with a large green digital style time moving around on the face along with a small month date and year. Looks Classy.
Has volume buttons and it's great for hands free conversations or watching videos like youtube etc or picture slide shows. Can also be used by voice commands.

Charge is still fully functional while in the cradle and can switch back and forth to display the desk app.
Click on that desk cradle app under applications and that's the same face that opens up as soon as you dock the Charge!

The only negative I was surprised to see is that when connected by usb to my office desk monitor's usb port I would have thought I could sync my contacts and calendar while its dock. For some strange reason the manual says it won't sync by usb using while it's docked (and it doesn't). Weird. Maybe a future software update will address that. But this is not a deal breaker cause you just use the usb to the Charge without it in the dock to sync contacts etc. between laptop or desktop..

I picked them up off Ebay, new in sealed boxes. Just ordered 2 more today for a co-worker who just got her Charge and she too liked these docks too.

I see them going for $35 there with no tax and free shipping or $43 with an extra battery from various resellers.

Last edited:

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the review, can you tell what brand of dock you bought?

Yes, it's made by "Samsung" for the Charge i510. OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

Same for the battery. It's the exact one that comes with the Charge (not a knock off).

Dock = part #' ECR-D994BE

Tueyjr

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I, too, just bought the desk dock. As the OP said, I was disappointed there is not sync functionality available, but I really needed the extra battery. I bought the cradle at a VZW store so I'm sure I paid a little more, but I needed a case for the phone as well, and if you buy multiple items you get a 20% break on price.

The one thing that annoys the piss out of me is that you can't customize the desk dock screen. At least I can't figure out how. I don't need an alarm button or a voice search button and would like to swith them, but for the life of me I can't figure out how. Anybody have a way?

I like the overall look of the dock and love that the other battery is hidden while charging. It charges the phone first, then charges the spare if the phone is docked and gives you a green light when the spare is fully charged.

Overall, I am very happy with it.

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I, too, just bought the desk dock. As the OP said, I was disappointed there is not sync functionality available, but I really needed the extra battery. I bought the cradle at a VZW store so I'm sure I paid a little more, but I needed a case for the phone as well, and if you buy multiple items you get a 20% break on price.

The one thing that annoys the piss out of me is that you can't customize the desk dock screen. At least I can't figure out how. I don't need an alarm button or a voice search button and would like to swith them, but for the life of me I can't figure out how. Anybody have a way?

I like the overall look of the dock and love that the other battery is hidden while charging. It charges the phone first, then charges the spare if the phone is docked and gives you a green light when the spare is fully charged.

Overall, I am very happy with it.

I asked this same question and several posters responded with possible solutions like down loading programs that allow you to customize the Charge for using while in the dock:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-charge/96731-docking-droid-off-position-all-night.html

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Now I'm wondering if it's all right to leave the extra battery in the dock "after" the green fully charged light comes on on the dock?

The instructions that came with the Dock say to "unplug" the travel charger when the green light comes on. I would have thought the charger is a smart one that monitors the battery and slows the charge down to a trickle.

I guess I'll find out Monday because I left a battery in my other Dock at work charging . . . Rut Row

I expect to see instead of an office building there will just be a 12 story Chimney standing there :'(

Update: Pheeeew!
http://androidforums.com/captivate-...ust-leave-battery-charging-past-full-bad.html

Last edited:

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I got the GPS dock at the Verizon store. I use it for GPS, but like it better for my desk! I also bring it when on the plane and attach it to the tray table to watch movies.

ccsvbva

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Desktop Dock ECR-D994BE for the Samsung Charge yesterday from Verizon. Once again, I am VERY disappointed. The dock looks good, but it advertises that the while the phone is in the dock it is "fully functional". This is absolutely FALSE. If the USB cord is plugged into your computer, instead of a charging wall outlet, the phone will NOT communicate with the computer when docked! If you want to access files on the phone or tether to the computer or laptop, you must take the phone out of the dock and plug the USB cord directly into the phone. Kind of makes you wonder what Samsung was thinking! I would imagine that good ole' Verizon has something to do with this stupid lack of functionality. :(:(:(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk