Uber App: Only says "Enable" and not "Install" to download?

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S7. I have never downloaded the Uber app in the past. When I go into the Google Play Store to download it now for the first time, it just says "Enable" rather than "Install". But even when I hit "Enable" nothing happens. I went to other apps, etc. inside the Google Play Store and everything else says "Install" like normal.

I have restarted my phone and I continually update apps so it can't be that issue. Any help would be appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you ever Disable the app in the App Manager? Open the App Manager and look for Uber. Select it, and tap Enable there. Now go back to the Play Store and see if you have an Update button now.

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I have never downloaded Uber before and I don't remember it being already installed on the phone when I got it, so no I have never disabled it in the App Manager?

I just now went to Settings, Applications and Uber is not listed in there at all?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It would not surprise me at all if Uber got thrown in as a preinstalled app. Do you have an AT&T version? It looks like Uber can be bloatware from AT&T: http://www.androidcentral.com/uber-and-att-pair-will-be-preloaded-android-phones-summer. If you don't remember seeing it when you first got the phone, it might have been added on with a recent system update.

When you go to the App Manager, tap More>Show System, and see if Uber shows up there. If there's an option to show Disabled apps, make sure that's turned on as well.

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I have AT&T. When I first got the phone, I never remember seeing Uber on it. I just went to Applications, Show System Apps and there is no "Uber" listed under everything shown. I even went to disabled apps and it's not there either.

Please help someone!

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I went on my phone's internet browser, manually typed in that url in the address bar. It pulled it up and had a button that said "Install". I clicked that but then it took me straight to the Google Play Store and now it's back to the screen that just says the button for "Enable". Again, I click that and nothing happens.

Is that what you mean?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No -- open that page on your desktop browser, not the phone's browser. From the desktop browser, you can go to the Play Store website and remotely install an app.

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I went and logged on to my GMail account on a computer. I did as you said and it let me install Uber on the desktop computer to my phone. I then looked at my phone and it showed that it was installing it. Once it was done installing it on my phone, I looked for the icon but I still can't find anything? I even went under system apps and "Uber" is no where on it?

Now if you go to the Play Store on my phone and search Uber it now has the "Uninstall" button along with the "Enable" button still. I tried again pushing the "Enable" button but nothing happened?

This is so weird?

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I think I figured it out. I had this app installed on my phone called "EZ Disabler" and just now I accidentally uninstalled it. All the apps that I was disabling through it reappeared on my phone including Uber. So I guess I had disabled it through this app?

But now I have another issue. Without this EZ Disabler app, I can't disable the pre-installed apps of "Galaxy Apps" and Samsung Pay". Can you help me get rid of these? There is no uninstall button for them nor is there a "Disable" button like there was for many of the other preinstalled apps I got rid of on my phone.

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad you figured out the EZ Disabler problem! For the other apps, maybe try Greenify, which allows you to "Hibernate" apps (which I believe is very similar to disabling).

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Curious...
Does Uber show up in the Application manager if you select the 3 dots at the top right, and then select "Show System"... this should reveal all the hidden apps, that run in the background. Be careful in here, there are system-critical apps running that could bootloop your phone if you kill the wrong process.

If it does, you need to select the uber app:
STORAGE =>Clear Cache => Clear data
Force stop => Disable (or Uninstall, if ATT allows it)
If you don't do it in that order, it may not fully un-install.

Furthermore, I recently found that may not completely omit everything from the app. I have had to then go into file manager and manually delete sub folders for those apps. I found remnant storage folders from Chomp SMS and Real-player, I deleted these over a year ago. They had zip files and other "system looking file types" in there. I am not sure what they were, but I absolutely did not want them on my phone.

FWIW I am on Verizon, not exactly the same bloat as ATT. Hopefully ATT allows it to be deactivated or uninstalled. Greenify does work for a lot of these kinds of things. I used it for a little while too. But IMHO its kind of like a band-aid. If you can cure the problem using application manager in the OS, that's better.

Good Luck!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azrae9484