frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so i was reading a review on the N1 and they said their was no support for UMA... can anyone confirm or deny this for a fact??

I just find it to be REALLY dumb that they would stick this amazing device on tmobile (read: the spottiest network) and cripple the ability to make calls in places that you normally wouldnt be able too by not giving it UMA???

Also, this would be about the deal killer for me as tmobile at my house SUCKS and i was going to rely on the UMA to get over that (and dont feel like paying $10 a month for a service i should have for free (tmo@home)).

Blkbear

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Also, this would be about the deal killer for me as tmobile at my house SUCKS and i was going to rely on the UMA to get over that (and dont feel like paying $10 a month for a service i should have for free (tmo@home)).

I use the service, and the $10 I pay is for the land line number. I also use my cell phone on UMA (voice) and WiFi (internet) all the time when at home and work at no charge, other than my plans mins, the same as if I were making the call via the cell towers.

T-Mobile@Home service is TMO's version of VONAGE, which is for a LAND LINE for $10, has nothing at all to do with the cell phone. The UMA just allows those phones that have it, to use Wifi instead of cell towers, so in essence it is free. This service and the names it has been called (by TMO), has confused so many people. I think so much so is that with the new plan changes, they don't even talk about the UMA feature, just to let people get used to the "Cheap" land line for $10-$15 bucks. Both of which as for the land line service.

If the N1 does not support UMA, no biggie, as it's rumored to support VOIP.
So for many people, UMA or VOIP, would be a good thing for those with "SUCKY" tower service where they work or live. Leaving cell tower service for when they don't have access to a WIFI connection. But again in the case of the N1, it's going to be a wait and see which option is offered in this version of the phone.

How that will work and play out, is something we will have to wait and see when it's officially released.

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
UMA is "basically" VOIP (i know technically they are different but perform the same functions... calling over an IP conection) so if it supports that.. i am cool.

can Anyone confirm that is does in fact support VOIP?? :)