Unlimited data question

cdmjlt369

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I know this has been talked about, im hoping ro hear from someone who has done this. I have a dumbphone line and two smartphone lines. The smartphone lines are unlimited data. Can i upgrade the dumbphone to a smartphone without affecting my unlimited data? Also can i transfer the new phone to my line without affecting unlimited?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I would call VZW and ask for sure, but I think that line will be forced into a tiered plan. The other 2 lines should not be affected unless the dumb phone is the main line on your account.

THARD11

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking about doing the same thing. I was told by an in-store V rep that you can do this. I have not tried yet as I am waiting to see what the M7 looks like.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
If you upgrade the dumb phone to a smart phone you will need to select a current data package. It will not impact you other phones unless you are on a family plan.

You can swap phones but would still need to keep the data package for any smart phone on your account of course.

jrv331

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I am currently going through the same thing. I was told, and confirmed by 2 verizon reps that once you upgrade the " dumb" phone line you will have to choose a data package. And once you upgrade your smartphone lines(through verizon) you will lose unlimited data on that line. The only way to keep unlimited data from this point on is to either buy a refurb phone from verizon or buy on the secondary market.

InfinityDevil

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I believe you can keep unlimited data by purchasing a new phone from Verizon at full off-contract price as well, as unpleasant as that sounds.

--
InfinityDevil

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you upgrade the dumb phone to a smart phone you will need to select a current data package. It will not impact you other phones unless you are on a family plan.

You can swap phones but would still need to keep the data package for any smart phone on your account of course.

No, you do not need to keep a data package if you put a dumb phone on the line.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I know this has been talked about, im hoping ro hear from someone who has done this. I have a dumbphone line and two smartphone lines. The smartphone lines are unlimited data. Can i upgrade the dumbphone to a smartphone without affecting my unlimited data? Also can i transfer the new phone to my line without affecting unlimited?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Yes, that is correct. You can upgrade the dumb phone line, then, AFTER activating the new phone on the dumb phone line, simply move the new phone to one of your smartphone lines. Then reactivate the dumb phone back onto the dumb phone line. This would not affect unlimited data.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I believe you can keep unlimited data by purchasing a new phone from Verizon at full off-contract price as well, as unpleasant as that sounds.

--
InfinityDevil

You can buy a used phone from cl, ebay or whatever. You can also buy a CPO phone at a price discounted over full retail and carries a full 1 year warranty.

If you have a legacy family plan, you should consider adding a line, seeing how the cost is. For example, I got the Note II recently for $150 at BB pm to Amazon. 20 months of service is $10, but after tax, closer to $15 for a dumb phone, so $300 for montthly service. $300+$150 = $450. Note that the contract is for 24 months, but you can upgrade after 20 months. $450, while a lot, is still cheaper than $700 for a full retail Note II.

You would need to be sure to either put a dumb phone on the line, or ask Verizon to put a phantom line on the line that you don't plan to use.

Tax depends on your area, so yours may be higher or lower than mine.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I just added a line to my family plan and bought an iPhone 5 at the subsidized price. Then I activated the iPhone 5 on the new line then switched a dumbphone to the new line and then switched the iPhone 5 to an unlimited line and kept unlimited on that line.

So as long as the dumbphone line is eligible for an upgrade, you should be fine.

MDsmartphone

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Also don't u have to activate a data plan on the iPhone then cancel this when you put the dumb phone back on the line? Is there a cancellation for this?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...

MDsmartphone

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that is correct. You can upgrade the dumb phone line, then, AFTER activating the new phone on the dumb phone line, simply move the new phone to one of your smartphone lines. Then reactivate the dumb phone back onto the dumb phone line. This would not affect unlimited data.

So what happens to the data plan that you activate on the dumb phone line when you transfer the new smartphone back to your unlimited plan?

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Did you do this in person, online, or on the phone?
Added a new line and purchased the iPhone 5 online then activated it online on the new line. Then activated a dumbphone on the new line online. To switch the iPhone 5 to the unlimited line I had to get a new SIM card since the phone that was originally on the unlimited line was a 3G iPhone 4s, which doesn't have a SIM card. You can order the SIM cards online but I have a VZW store close by so I just stopped in and got them to give me a new SIM card for the iPhone 5.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Also don't u have to activate a data plan on the iPhone then cancel this when you put the dumb phone back on the line? Is there a cancellation for this?
When you add a new line and choose an iPhone or any other smartphone, you have to pick a data plan. Then when I activated the dumbphone, it asked me to pick a data plan so I picked pay per use. Pay per use incurs no charges unless you use the browser on the dumbphone. The dumbphone I used I bought on Amazon used for $15 and it has a browser.

Now, for the first month, my bill included the $30 for the 2GB plan and was not prorated. But the next month, I received a credit for the $30 data plan minus the prorated amount for the time the iPhone 5 was on the new line.

No cancellation fee for dropping the data plan when you switch to a dumbphone on a line if you buy through Verizon or Best Buy. If you buy through Amazon wireless there is a cancellation fee.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
So what happens to the data plan that you activate on the dumb phone line when you transfer the new smartphone back to your unlimited plan?
When you activate the dumbphone, you pick pay per use and that becomes the data plan on the new line. You receive a prorated credit the next month for the data plan that you had to pick when you activated the new smartphone on the new line.

MDsmartphone

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
When you add a new line and choose an iPhone or any other smartphone, you have to pick a data plan. Then when I activated the dumbphone, it asked me to pick a data plan so I picked pay per use. Pay per use incurs no charges unless you use the browser on the dumbphone. The dumbphone I used I bought on Amazon used for $15 and it has a browser.

Now, for the first month, my bill included the $30 for the 2GB plan and was not prorated. But the next month, I received a credit for the $30 data plan minus the prorated amount for the time the iPhone 5 was on the new line.

No cancellation fee for dropping the data plan when you switch to a dumbphone on a line if you buy through Verizon or Best Buy. If you buy through Amazon wireless there is a cancellation fee.

Did you do this online or at the store or via the phone?

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Did you do this online or at the store or via the phone?
See my previous post. I had to get a new SIM card for the iPhone 5 to switch it to the unlimited line. You can order one online or go into a store to get it. I went into a store to get it.

Everything else I did online. I could have ordered the SIM card online and just waited for it to come, but then I would have had to have had the iPhone 5 on the new line for longer and that would have meant a higher prorated data plan charge.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Did you do this in person, online, or on the phone?

Any method would work, but you do need a sim for all 4glte devices, and of the correct size for your device, either mini, micro, or nano. Key is to activate the phone on the line used for the upgrade first, then move to whatever line you want.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackMarkers