Unlocked Android 10 Update Canada

TOK75

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
Has anyone with an unlocked S10 in Canada received the Android 10 update yet? I see several CDN carriers pushed it out mid-late December. I have the US model of the phone, though I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

TOK75

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
Yes, I have checked via system settings and using Smart Switch - usually every week I check. I realize unlocked devices have to wait longer than those locked to a carrier, but just trying to suss out if any unlocked devices up here have received it yet.

TOK75

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
Yeah, I know and that's why I figured Canada wouldn't be far behind. I have an S10+ and the model number is SM-G975U. I purchased it unlocked from an electronics seller on eBay. Pretty clear it was previously locked to AT&T.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I know and that's why I figured Canada wouldn't be far behind. I have an S10+ and the model number is SM-G975U. I purchased it unlocked from an electronics seller on eBay. Pretty clear it was previously locked to AT&T.
You had to unlock it ? Att models have issue when it comes to updates . If you know how to use Odin can flash it .

TOK75

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
No, it was already unlocked when I purchased it. I have no experience with Odin/flashing software and it intimidates me a bit, lol.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, it was already unlocked when I purchased it. I have no experience with Odin/flashing software and it intimidates me a bit, lol.
I can help guide you through it , it's just manually updating instead of Over The Air updates.
Other option if you have a best buy with Samsung experience inside can ask them if they update your phone to the latest.

TOK75

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for your quick replies and help, much appreciated! Samsung Experience doesn't appear to be a service offered at Best Buys here in Canada.

And, this may be a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway - since Samsung staggers the OTA OS updates based on country/region, how does it know which devices to push to - based on model number? I have the US model of the phone and unlocked US S10s have already received the update, but I'm not physically in the US.

Checking the software info on my device, the last security update it received was last July. I did receive the small update a few months ago to fix the fingerprint scanner issue, but not one security update since I purchased the phone in October. I've read that S10s are supposed to receive monthly security updates and now wondering if this is something I should be concerned about and update manually?

Would you mind sending me a PM with more info on Odin & flashing? Thanks again!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
They get distributed on wifi or mobile data , it will know by your IMEI number and other factors in the software , so doesn't matter where you are .
I'll send you PM little later on the details on how to do this which shouldn't take more then 25 minute to do the install of the update.