Unlocked???

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
To my knowledge that is still an AT&T exclusive, makes me wonder if they are buying them from AT&T and selling them to make a profit. Phone is $849.99 at AT&T.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone who used this promo see it still?
I can't find it, feeling like I probably missed the boat here (I was OOF when the release happened).
If I'm paying full-price, I might as well just wait for the unlocked revision.

Thanks, for any pointers.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone who used this promo see it still?
I can't find it, feeling like I probably missed the boat here (I was OOF when the release happened).
If I'm paying full-price, I might as well just wait for the unlocked revision.

Thanks, for any pointers.

What promo... Amazon for $1100?

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Up to 1300 now, and I still would bet this doesn't work on a non-ATT network, certainly not Verizon, and it doesn't have band 17 for T-Mobile...
I mostly call BS, and posted a really directed question on the product page (on Amazon), we'll see...

Anarkie13

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Well, this is good news, especially for the TMo crowd. Now the question is whether we will see a CDMA compatible model. Thoughts?

https://venturebeat.com/2017/09/28/samsung-galaxy-s8-active-escapes-atts-orbit-headed-to-t-mobile/

Honestly, I doubt it. Verizon is scrapping their CDMA soon. At that point, only Sprint and MNVOs will use it. That's quite an investment for a market that is typically looking for the lower cost options.

They'll likely stick with LTE and if Verizon or Sprint want to use it, they'll have to make use of LTE only.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I doubt it. Verizon is scrapping their CDMA soon. At that point, only Sprint and MNVOs will use it. That's quite an investment for a market that is typically looking for the lower cost options.

They'll likely stick with LTE and if Verizon or Sprint want to use it, they'll have to make use of LTE only.

Verizon definitely plans to scrap it but not till 2020 or later.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I sort of tend to agree, I don't see Samsung doing a one-off implementation, unless the CDMA carriers are clamoring for it, and I suspect 99% of them don't even know the difference between an S8 and S8-Active.
You never know though, obviously a broader-based phone would be desirable (or even necessary for those on Verizon or Spring), for the unlocked model.

I don't see any real update to the "Unlocked" RTM status here though, just that another carrier-locked version is coming out? I think the opposing versions (AT&T and T-Mobile) are excluding a small set of bands (mostly 12/17/30), depending on the model. If so, this makes it pretty much impossible to buy a "fully functional" S8 Active that even portable across GSM carriers, much less having decent international support?
It also seems like (similar to the LGV30 that I'm also considering to replace my dying 6P) they'd want to have 600 support, in the same model, making it FAR more desirable?

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I was also thinking that the hardware in an unlocked S8 Active would probably be similar to the hardware in the unlocked S8. I looked at a thread on XDA and there seemed to be some confusion as to whether the unlocked S8 had the CDMA bands (some said it did), but it definitely worked.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, the unlocked S8/S8+ is a different phone, obviously similar chipset and (mostly)other are the same, but some parts are definitely different.
I'm not 100% on how they add the secondary CDMA chipset, but it would also have to be in sync with the antenna set, the firmware, the whole works.
Sometimes people post the FCC filing for the phones, since they're public, I may go try to dig around a bit and see if I can find what's in the "pipeline" too. I think some of it requires a good bit of interpretation, since the OEM doesn't file it as an "S8 Active", it's more like an "xyz-123", and you have to extrapolate from previous models, my understanding anyway.

nathasnajperowa

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
However the gsm at&t version is working properly worldwide. I use phone in European T-mobile and everything works fine besides of course some at&t crap on board and slowly pushing upgrades

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
This is partially true both IMHO/IME.

For example, you take a ATT phone (obviously with non-emergent situations), use Verizon, *IF* you happen to be near what Verizon sems moving toards. A "bigger LTE netowor (and hopefully on cell standard,mostly and definitely finally!)
If you're near a CDMA (conly) tower you won't get any voice/text/data with a small set of
exceptions.
That pretty much sums it up for using the AT&T(mostly) phone on a Verizon line, you'll almost always get spotty connection, at best.

The overall point to make regarding using a phone cross-carrier, is not as simple as on would think.

You have to use something like FrequncyCheck, or look up the phone band(s)
If it only matches a couple of implemented frequency/bands (LTE AND CDMA)in your case) for that phone, then you'll either get "occasional" connection, but mostly none, in particular outside of metro areas.

The other thing that're likely to comes is the "updates issue", most carriers will ONLY provide them on a device with their active phone. If you do this, keep in mind that "patching things yourself) is pretty involved

There's also typically some domestic roaming that occurs, and no-one talks about, partly because (the majority) bigger cell companies have some sort of reciprocity (at least partial, perhaps full)
Roaming is sometimes locked to your cell companies, and will only work if you are using their service. This aspect does seem to be changing though, for the good.

The one other thing that're likely to comes isup are updates, most carriers will ONLY provide them on a device with their active phone. If you do this, keep in mind that "patching things yourself) is pretty involved

nathasnajperowa

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I clearly get what you mean but pls understand i'm polish woman living in Poland. I wanted to have s8 active (military grade of protection, big battery, flat screen, shatterprof screen, non glass body, industrial look of the device etc).
So i bought my unit on ebay, had to pay my country taxes to import and finally put my hands on my dream smartphone. I paid overall more than 1000 bucks and in spite I'm still satisfied. If i could i'd use it as at&t device but this gsm provider is US one.
So do you think Donald Trump offer me American citizenship to use carrier locked phone?
My seller provided me unlock code and i use my precious here in Poland.
My biggest complain is active wasn't released from box after Samsung general update concerning behavior of gestures. I mean, pulling up or down is always app dock but newest feature is pulling up the is app drawer but pulling down is quick settings/ notification panel. That's the only software killer feature missing for me considering how tall the screen is.
The point is these gestures works on display no matter where (p.g. on the bottom)
BTW Lte is quite impressive
8f4869203a1c3d3e2ede0df7c2ed73af.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowbear