Update an android device by flashing stock rom?

joshkrupinsky

Jul 17, 2020
Visit site
Back in the day, I had a phone (can't really remember what kind it was) that was running Android 6. Every time when i would click on software update in the settings, it would say "your device is up to date." However, when browsing online i found multiple (LEGIT) sources with Android 7 stock rom for that particular model. I am not talking about custom roms, it was the official firmware. Interestingly enough, it was the same situation with my tablet. I never had a chance to flash my phone or tablet with this android 7 stock rom to see if that was legit, but it left me wondering - is it even possible to update your android device by flashing stock rom even though the device says "your device is up to date" when you check for official update in the settings.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
It would depend on the situation.

Typically if you own a carrier branded device when it checks for updates it checks for that carrier, if the phone is no longer on it's original carrier it won't update despite there being official updates.

There can also be situations related to region, if the device isn't in the correct region it may not update.

joshkrupinsky

Jul 17, 2020
Visit site
1 it wasn't a carrier branded device, that's I am sure.
2 So what you are saying is there can be situations when you can upgrade your android device by flashing a higher android version firmware despite the fact that it won't get any updates through the settings, right?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Most of the time, those update ROMs were for a different variant. Trying to flash them to a variant that they weren't intended for could potentially brick the device.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The different regions also had other drawbacks. If a certain app was banned in a country it couldn't be downloaded from the Play store.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
1 it wasn't a carrier branded device, that's I am sure.
2 So what you are saying is there can be situations when you can upgrade your android device by flashing a higher android version firmware despite the fact that it won't get any updates through the settings, right?

Yeah, in some situations a device won't update via settings even though an official update was pushed by the manufacturer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174