Update Has Screwed Up 4G

mrtwohands

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Mine was doing the exact same thing. I switched mine back over to CDMA/LTE and it seems to have helped. It has not messed up since then. Maybe they are slowly working on the issue in some areas or I am just getting lucky at the moment.

aaCharley

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
carlos,
That is exactly what mine was doing. No data service in weaker signal areas and not even 3G. When I took the phone to the VZ corporate store it seemed to be fine and showed 5 bars of 4G. Data worked just fine there also. Something in the OTA screwed the radios, either hardware or software. It just does not work in less than an optimum location. They offered to replace the phone with another SG3, maybe a refurb, but not a new one. It would be a whole lot better customer service if it was a SG4.

carlos31820

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Mine was doing the exact same thing. I switched mine back over to CDMA/LTE and it seems to have helped. It has not messed up since then. Maybe they are slowly working on the issue in some areas or I am just getting lucky at the moment.

Switching mine to CDMA/LTE didn't help. :mad:

bontjes

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I posted this in the other thread about the VZ screw up on the OTA update. I wanted to post here so that we might possibly get something going on an improved replacement phone.

+++++++++++++
The OTA update screwed my GS3 too. 4G service won't work unless in a very high powered signal area. 3G also drops out. So I'm left with terrible data service. I've been to the VZ corporate store a couple of times and am getting another phone shipped to me. However, I really think that VZ should give the affected people an opportunity to buy the GS4 for $150 or so. I had a relatively new phone that worked fine until VZ konked it. I didn't do it. Now it seems that they want to possibly send me a refurb or some type. Meaning that the replacement phone had problems and they hope they fixed them. My phone dind't have any problems until they "fixed" it. Offering a current model phone as an option for a reasonable discount price seems fair to me. Why do I want something that has a history of not performing?

Anyway, I wanted to post that they will replace the phone. I hope that if enough people howl a bit we can get the replacement policy changed to include the upgrade option. Another factor for me is that I'm on the old Unlimited Data plan so another upgrade through VZ is not going to happen. It seemed to be a good opportunity to move up.

Yeah I experienced the same troubles.. Sucks.

Posted via Android Central App

Strommer

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you can flash a factory image in Odin to revert back (I don't have the specific info on how to do that), but that would require a FULL data wipe of your device.

EDIT: OK, here's what I was quickly able to find. The procedure isn't very difficult, but if most of this seems to be above your head, it's probably best to just leave it alone! As usual, I'm providing this info only FYI -- do NOT blame me for anything that happens to your device. You could, in theory use this as an opportunity to root your device if you so desire (since you have to wipe it out and start over anyway), but otherwise...

REMOVE YOUR SD CARD IF YOU DON'T WANT IT WIPED!

See here:
[GUIDE][VZW Edition]How to root your Galaxy SIII & More!(ROMs/CWM/Stock) - xda-developers
Now, you're not interested in rooting, so skip down to "Section 5" of the first post. Follow the instructions there to flash the factory image and restore your device to the older software version.
Notice, there is no image for the last official OS, VRMBM1, which is what you probably want. (VRMBM1 was the last version before this recent OTA). Still though, this will get you back to point where you can start fresh...

thank you!

I've used this method on 2 different phones now and it works perfect. Both phones are now back to working normally.
Btw- There is link to an image that does not wipe your phone. All apps, settings, data, and the SD card are left as is. Also, I believe the official images are out. We're happy with the phones again, and in the future will wait for reports instead of being early adopters. Thanks again

paradox60660

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I had no data for 45 minutes while on the phone with verizon. The rep sent me to a store to get a new sim card. The new sim cards have some nfc properties in them. Today no problems with data. None at all.

Edit... data problems are back. Not as bad as yesterday but drops to 3g or drops data completely for a few minutes at a time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

bontjes

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I had no data for 45 minutes while on the phone with verizon. The rep sent me to a store to get a new sim card. The new sim cards have some nfc properties in them. Today no problems with data. None at all.

Edit... data problems are back. Not as bad as yesterday but drops to 3g or drops data completely for a few minutes at a time.

Almost exactly what I experienced although I had good luck for nearly two full days.
Kind of makes me wonder if there is a problem on the backend of things. It's been intermittent.
One hour my phone will be fine and then the next my phone has no data at all. It's frustrating as hell.
My friend text me today asking why I sent 4 text messages back to back so saying the same thing. Another friend asked me why I asked him how his morning is going.. But in the afternoon. Believe me... I asked first thing this morning but my phone took the hours so and the simple 100 character text message.

bontjes

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

Almost exactly what I experienced although I had good luck for nearly two full days.
Kind of makes me wonder if there is a problem on the backend of things. It's been intermittent.
One hour my phone will be fine and then the next my phone has no data at all. It's frustrating as hell.
My friend text me today asking why I sent 4 text messages back to back so saying the same thing. Another friend asked me why I asked him how his morning is going.. But in the afternoon. Believe me... I asked first thing this morning but my phone took the hours so and the simple 100 character text message.
Even sending this message.. I had data when I opened the application and no data (despite the 4G and 4 Bars) when I tried to send it.

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A new update was just released and is now available. It fixes the mobile data issue. I just updated and it seems to be fine now. I'll have to test it thoroughly tomorrow.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Have the same problem, limited service where service was great before the update. Many times have 3g, where it used to be 4g.
You're a bit behind the curve, aren't you? The 4.3 update was released months ago. Are you sure that's what's causing your problem?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katiebaby3110