"Update Security Settings to Use Email"

hypobid

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
My company uses MS Exchange for it's email. I have added my account to my phone, however, every now and again, the following message appears:

I have no idea what security settings I need to update! I have even asked our MS Exchange guys, however, they don't know either... I have Googled this error message and have found conflicting resolutions, and have implemented all the recommendations, yet, I still periodically receive the message...

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

eriksahn

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
My company uses MS Exchange for it's email. I have added my account to my phone, however, every now and again, the following message appears:

I have no idea what security settings I need to update! I have even asked our MS Exchange guys, however, they don't know either... I have Googled this error message and have found conflicting resolutions, and have implemented all the recommendations, yet, I still periodically receive the message...

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Maybe you have too many accounts associated with Exchange? I had to go in and manually delete my old Atrix and BlackBerry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Moxer

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
What that message means is that the server has some policy enabled for mobile devices that you aren't meeting. Usually it is something like a pin lock for the lock screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

That error generally has to do with EAS and remote administration. Your phone should have prompted you to create a pin. Did you try actually tapping the message in your notification shade? You may need to remove the account and add it again.

tpearsall

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. It was working fine for a week or so, then I did a test drive of CM10. When I restored my stock/rooted ROM I started getting the update message. I'm guessing it's related to registering the device stock, then CM and then restoring stock. Have I confused the Exchange server about what device is registered?

Tried removing and adding the account again, but still get the security notifications every few minutes.

hypobid

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I have tried all kinds of things (added pass code for lock screen, turned on auto-lock, deleted all accounts associated with Exchange, etc.), but the error continues to show up. The only way I can avoid the error is by completely removing the account, followed by re-adding the account, however, this is only a temporary (and painful) solution. It works for about 24 hours, and then all of a sudden, it stops working again, with the dreaded "Update security setting..." message. I have also followed-up with our Exchange guys at work. They don't have any idea. Only thing they said is that iPhone users are not experiencing any issues... Such a bummer b/c I really love this phone, however, if the issue cannot be resolved, I will more than likely have to switch back to the iPhone...

casperinmd

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
What OS are you running? My SPrint Epic 4G Touch started doing this exact thing after upgrading to ICS recently, and another coworker using his Razr Max just updated to ICS and gets it now.

Maybe ICS is part of the issue?

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Did you get prompted and do the encryption? Phone has to be 80% charge and plugged in.

Also could be an issue on the exchange servers active sync association with your phone.

I have my company exchange setup, my only issue is when I try to manual refresh outside of my synch sched, I have to refresh a couple Times, b/c it gives me an account security message.. now that I think about it. Maybe the Samsung mail client does need an update. I had similar (to my current bug) issue on my captivate when trying to synch outside of the auto synch schedule.

Do you have your exchange set to auto push?

casperinmd

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I did not do encryption, we do not enforce that. Our Exchange policy did not change, just updated my phone to ICS.

I do have push set for all schedules, always have as well.

I did just remove my account on my phone and add it back, I will see how long it lasts without the pop up and report back my findings.

hypobid

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I did not do encryption, we do not enforce that. Our Exchange policy did not change, just updated my phone to ICS.

I do have push set for all schedules, always have as well.

I did just remove my account on my phone and add it back, I will see how long it lasts without the pop up and report back my findings.

Same for me... My company does not enforce encryption, and our Exchange policy did not change. Deleting and adding the account is getting old...

dahncke#CB

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Got the same message, pressed the OK (or maybe it was Continue) button... did the cycle 3 times. It seemed to change something each time and shut down the mail application each time too. On the 3rd time, it worked just fine.

I have no idea what it did, but seemed to be doing something automaticly to resolve the issue.

peruboy63

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
It's giving your employer permission to wipe if needed. The at least that's what my security update was for.

casperinmd

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Damn, just happened again sometime last night.

Anyone know if this happens with the Touchdown client? I don't want to pay but if it stops the pop up and allows me to receive mail, then I gotta do what I gotta do.

casperinmd

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
It's giving your employer permission to wipe if needed. The at least that's what my security update was for.

Right, but it should happen once, when you setup the account. After that, it should never come back unless the corporate policy is changed.

THat is how it worked on Gingerbread, right up until I updated the OTA ICS update...then this vicious cycle. I guess I am sorta glad it is not just me.

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Well if your exchange server guys are anything like the guys at my company. **Dont get me wrong they are great guys and know there stuff this more of a company wide complaint but have seen them do it on occasion too.**
They wont really bothter with investigating the problem to see if it is something on the exchange server is causing the Samsung mail app to bug out or if an update is required to make sure they both communicate properly until; the "Right Person" has a problem then it will get fixed. Just saying if this is an issue the requires an update on the exchange server side.

casperinmd

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Well if your exchange server guys are anything like the guys at my company. **Dont get me wrong they are great guys and know there stuff this more of a company wide complaint but have seen them do it on occasion too.**
They wont really bothter with investigating the problem to see if it is something on the exchange server is causing the Samsung mail app to bug out or if an update is required to make sure they both communicate properly until; the "Right Person" has a problem then it will get fixed. Just saying if this is an issue the requires an update on the exchange server side.

I have to disagree here. I can 100% assure you my company's Exchange ActiveSync policy has not changed in over a year, yet as soon as I upgrade from GB to ICS, it pops up over and over.

Not saying it is NOT an Exchange issue, but seems pretty clear it is a change in ICS with Samsung. I'll have to look around other forums to see if any other OEM is having the same issue.

hypobid

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
OK, I think I've finally figured it out! I noticed that each time I removed my Exchange email account from my S3, automatic updates from Google Play Store immediately started to download. I went ahead and disabled automatic updates, and I added a password for downloading via Play Store. So far (for 2 days now), I have not received the dreaded "Update Security Settings..." message. Seems to be working fine now... Just thought I'd post my findings...

Thanks!

Reactions: SlappyMcgee

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Cool thank you for sharing your findings, and glad you got it resolved.

It might be a security policy on the exchange that has been in place, but wasn't supported until ICS, the sgs3, or a combination of both. My captivate didn't do device encryption, but my sgs3 did when adding my exchange account.

Last edited:

casperinmd

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info! I did not have auto update enabled, so we can rule that out.

However, I did not have PIN on the Play store, so I just added that...I am praying it works!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruchi Chandel