Upgrade now to Note 10+ or wait for Note 11? ADVICE PLEASE!

garberj

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
If the Note 5 is still holding on you can wait. You could also get something used to tide you over for until next year and if you pick the right device you might be able to recoup your expense on a trade in. You really have a lot of options. Even if you bought a Note 10 now you could certainly trade it in next year if something extraordinary is released.
I'm sure the higher refresh rates are nice but they aren't noticable for everything you're running. Even in cases where the refresh rate is noticable unless you do a side by side it may not matter to you buts that's subjective. Keep in mind a higher refresh rate is tougher on battery life and in turn longevity but you seem to be ok with charging when needed.

Gotcha! Thanks for the advice!

garberj

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
If you wait for anything, wait to see what the S 11 brings to the table, that will give you a good idea what to expect. As some has said, the camera will probably be the main improvement, and if that's the case I would do it now. A lot of the new stuff now days are just what I call gimmicks, like 3D scanning, neat, but how often the majority users going to actual use it, you play with it once and the WOW effect is over, and Samsung pushed that feature hard in the release presentation.

Guess what I'm saying, you will always be wondering if you should wait for the next version. The updates are getting to be more and more just minor tweaks.

I say pull the trigger and get the note 10 version you want. If you get to the note 11 and it's all that and a huge improvement, which I'll be surprised, then get the note 11. Samsung usually does a pretty good trade in, last year you could get up to $600 to trade in, so it could be a $300 difference to get both. My suggestion, keep your note 5, that may be on the list that you can trade in. On the note 10, we were able to trade in the note 4 for that. I traded the S5 for $450 thru Verizon. They usually have good trade in programs on new releases.

I for one am kind of jealous of you. You're going to be coming from the note 5 to the note 10. That's going to be a huge improvement, it's going to blow your mind the differences, it's not going to be a baby step improvement, and you got to skip the note 9, which wasn't a bad phone, but to me it wasn't great, specially the display. I was disappointed in it myself, glad I got rid of it. I can't say that about the note 10 or S10, the display is amazing.

Reward yourself for sticking with the note 5 all this time, you've earned it.

Thanks a lot! I was just trying to make a decision this week since the 10+ is $300 off, otherwise I would've definitely waited for the S11, and yeah I agree with you about the gimmicky stuff, I was only excited about the higher refresh rate and seemingly very improved camera.
Anyway still a couple of days left until the sale ends but yeah I think I'm gonna go for it! Definitely feels like a reward. Worst case scenario I'd trade in if this year's release really blew me away..

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
If the next new Note is coming out in a matter of weeks, I'd say wait. But the next new one won't be out til this fall, which is a long way off. My wife got the itch to upgrade from her old iPhone 8, but didn't want to spend over $1200 to get the pro version of the iPhone to get the 3 camera lenses. We went to a local Microsoft store yesterday and noticed they are now selling the unlocked Note 10+ phone (with 256GB storage) for $799 (a $300 discount). The Microsoft store was only willing to give her a measly $120 trade in value for her pathetic iPhone 8 with 64GB of storage. The Apple store was willing to give her $300 trade in value for the same phone, but could only be applied towards another Apple product. My wife had been eyeing my Note 10+ with its gorgeous large screen for quite some time. I convinced her to go ahead and buy the Note 10+. She's now a happy camper.

garberj

Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
If the next new Note is coming out in a matter of weeks, I'd say wait. But the next new one won't be out til this fall, which is a long way off. My wife got the itch to upgrade from her old iPhone 8, but didn't want to spend over $1200 to get the pro version of the iPhone to get the 3 camera lenses. We went to a local Microsoft store yesterday and noticed they are now selling the unlocked Note 10+ phone (with 256GB storage) for $799 (a $300 discount). The Microsoft store was only willing to give her a measly $120 trade in value for her pathetic iPhone 8 with 64GB of storage. The Apple store was willing to give her $300 trade in value for the same phone, but could only be applied towards another Apple product. My wife had been eyeing my Note 10+ with its gorgeous large screen for quite some time. I convinced her to go ahead and buy the Note 10+. She's now a happy camper.

Thanks man! Yeah the next Note is months away, almost a year if I want a deal like the one I'm getting for the Note 10+. It was also $300 off unlocked here in Canada. I'm glad your wife is liking it!

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks man! Yeah the next Note is months away, almost a year if I want a deal like the one I'm getting for the Note 10+. It was also $300 off unlocked here in Canada. I'm glad your wife is liking it!

Yeah, once you go extra large, you can't go back! After a few days with the Note 10+, she said her old iPhone 8 was un-usable now for its small size! If she had bought the top of the line iPhone 11, it would have cost around $1100 with only a measly 64GB of storage...pathetic! Apple wants you to pay hundreds more for upgraded storage versions. She got the 256GB Note 10+ model with an added 256GB micro-SD card for a total of 512GB of storage which will last her years! I really don't think I need to upgrade any time soon myself. The size of the Note 10+ is already bulging out of my front trouser pocket which is where I keep it during the day, so I can't see buying anything larger in the future...ever! If anything, I'd be more interested in buying a new Note with a flat screen instead of curved (similar to the Samsung S10E phone). The included 12GB of RAM is plenty, I can keep many, many, many apps running in the background without ever closing them. I now process video clips using various video editing apps, and the Note 10+ is able to process multiple video clips with ease. Plus the Note 10/10+ can pair with the DEX app using a Windows laptop which is very cool. By the way, the Microsoft store gave my wife a free $79 Samsung fast wireless charger for free. It's the one that can stand your phone diagonally upright and has a built-in fan.

Here's the free Samsung wireless charger the Microsoft store is giving away with a new Note phone purchase:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ABEgID5PD_BwE%26gclsrc%3Daw.ds&token=7GQxAnfQ

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
If you plan on keeping this new phone for 5 years, then you will want to get 5G phone, keep in mind that you will have to replace the battery in that time frame.

True, it he might want to wait until there are phones out that actually support all 5G frequencies. Close to all 5G phones you buy now will be obsolete in no time. My Note 10+ 5G already doesn’t support the 2100mhz band that most European providers are now pushing their networks on. It only does 3500mhz, which is available at very few locations

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I went ahead and ordered the Note 10+ !!

You probably made the right decision. the high refresh rate may be nice, but rumors are pointing to it only working in FHD. I'd personally rather use the higher resolution display than the higher frame rate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae