Urine Damaged S3, Help?

dskwirut23

New member
Mar 25, 2014
1
0
0
Visit site
So one night a couple months ago, I got a pretty drunk and ended up peeing my bed. The worse part about it though was I still had my jeans on with my S3 in my pocket. When I woke up the next morning I started to panic and instead of putting the phone in rice, I dried the battery and the empty back with a paper towel and plugged it into the charger to see if the phone still worked. To my surprise the phone did turn on, and after a couple hours charging it seemed to be working normally. I thought maybe I got lucky and avoided damage because the phone was dead before it got wet.

However, a few days later I started to notice a few things that I believe could be a result of the "water" damage.
1. 4G is unreliable. In areas where it shows 4G service, I sometimes cant connect to the internet. Other times it doesn't even show that I have 4G service, even though I used to get it in those areas.
2. Calling on my phone is unreliable. This is a similar to the 4G problem, it shows I have service but when I try to place a call it never rings. It makes no sound until after a while it makes the disconnect sound. It also doesn't always tell me that I have an incoming call. There have been several instances where my friends told me they have been trying to call me but I don't pick up. So apparently they can hear my phone ringing, but my phone doesn't.
3. Texting is unreliable. Again, similar to the 4G and calling problem. In places where I have signal, I cant send or receive text messages. I could send one text fine with no problem, and then try to send another text a few minutes later, and it says sending with the little spiral until it gives up and says couldn't send message.
4. Battery drains a lot faster. The battery used to last me a full day, but now it lasts maybe 3/4 or 2/3 of the day.

Both water damage indicators, on the battery and on the inside where the battery goes, are red. So obviously the battery has been affected by the "water". My question to you all is, could I just replace the battery or SIM card? Do I have to replace a part inside? Or is my phone screwed, and I need to get a new one? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR: Pissed my pants with my phone in pocket; calling, 4g, and texting haven't been working reliably ever since
 

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Moderator
Mar 9, 2012
165,991
5,304
113
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and yikes! From what I've read about phones getting wet, it's probably more complicated than just replacing the battery or a simple part. The damage is probably done.
 

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
2,013
75
0
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and yikes! From what I've read about phones getting wet, it's probably more complicated than just replacing the battery or a simple part. The damage is probably done.

This. Any damage resulting from water exposure is probably outside of your control. The one caveat is if you can identify the affected part and feel comfortable installing a replacement part yourself. Even then, it's no guarantee. Water exposure can do funny things, and connectivity and audio (microphone, speaker) issues are plausible.

If you can't find any visible signs of damage in the battery compartment or SIM tray, there may be no easy way to tell.
 

mrsmumbles

Well-known member
Oct 5, 2013
4,283
6
38
Visit site
An alternate possibility is that your network started to get bad the same night you got drunk. All those problems, except for the water damage indicators, could easily also be the result of network problems. Probably not the case, but just thought I'd throw it out there. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
 

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
2,013
75
0
Visit site
An alternate possibility is that your network started to get bad the same night you got drunk. All those problems, except for the water damage indicators, could easily also be the result of network problems. Probably not the case, but just thought I'd throw it out there. :)

Also this. It can be easy to attribute unrelated phone behavior to recent damage/water/whatever if you're already looking for anything not "normal" with your phone. I'd say that the data and call symptoms and increased power usage are plausible effects in this case, though. My first step would definitely be to replace the SIM card and make sure the SIM tray and slot are clean and free of damage.
 

GSDer

Well-known member
Jan 30, 2011
8,471
15
0
Visit site
Urine is pretty acidic which can be quite bad on electronics. Oddly enough, the best thing for it would probably be a bath - isopropyl alcohol would be the thing to use. Obviously the phone would need to be completely dismantled, and you'd probably want to use something like a toothbrush to scrub any residue off the parts, then put all the parts in rice for 24 hours. (One of the nice things about isopropyl alcohol is that it evaporates quickly.)

Or you could look for any electronics cleaner.

Of course, you'll have to be careful around the screen - you don't want to soak that. And I'd rinse the battery in water rather than using alcohol on it.

YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
 

AxlMyk

Well-known member
Sep 12, 2012
1,217
0
0
Visit site
Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.
Pissing is mild when compared to the outcome of that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
 

Forum statistics

Threads
945,083
Messages
6,924,118
Members
3,159,655
Latest member
bonnieeugene