Question Usb c dac dongle question

mare777

Jan 25, 2024
Visit site
I recently bought my first dac dongle to replace one who came with my phone, its cheap cx31993 from aliexpress. My question or problem is i can use the dongle only in hiby music app with usb exclusive mode enable, in any other app spotify, deezer, poweramp etc i get no sound. So my question is this is how its suppose to be? Is this some limitation of android etc... I always in the past used headphone jack, but my new phone has none, so i must use dongles. The dongle that came with my phone plays perfectly fine with all apps but the sound quality is not that great

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
What device do you have?

Are we to assume that USB exclusive mode is part of or setting in the HiBy app? Should we also assume that you've looked through the settings of these other apps for settings related to external device connections?

Does the device popup a notification when you plug in? Does it do anything that seems to recognize the dongle being plugged in? Even if it doesn't popup have you looked through your notifications for USB connection settings? Often when there is a USB connection an item will appear in the notification shade asking to how to handle the connection. You will often see this when connected to a laptop or memory device but may also see this when connected to an audio device. On my device it often appears near the bottom of the list. Not sure why but it does.

When you plug in and press the volume rocker do you find a category for headphones or other connected devices? On some devices when peripheral equipment is plugged in or connected extra volume control categories appear. On my device when connected to BT it has it's own volume control that isn't there when not connected.

My family has used similar dongles without any issues. It seems difficult to believe that there is that much of a difference between yours and ours that would cause it to work or not work depending on app. Although having said that there can be differences in USB cables where some charge faster, only charge, charge & transfer data and things like that but to work with different apps seems odd.

Let us know what you find and we'll offer more advice.

mare777

Jan 25, 2024
Visit site
I've just tested dongle on my friends phone and it works just fine, youtube, music app etc plays sound normal... when plugged in phone shows headphone icon, but in apps without usb exclusive mode i cant play anything there is no sound what so ever. The only apps that play with this dongle are hiby music player, neutron and usb audio player

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Your friend's device sounds typical. I looked again but I'm not seeing what device you have. Your device make and model may be the answer to this so please tell us what it is.

When you say "when plugged in phone shows headphone icon" are you saying it shows this on your device or your friend's device or both?

When plugged into your device and you attempt to use one of the apps that don't play sound through it, what happens when you play anything? Do you get sound through the speakers as if nothing is connected? Does it appear to play but you get no sound at all? Does it even attempt to play?

That question takes me back to the volume controls. Have you opened the full volume control panel with these headphones plugged in? Press the volume rocker, then the 3 dots to expand the panel, and look to see if there is a headphone control. Most devices will display the presumed active volume control when the rocker is pressed, so when nothing is open it displays ringer vol, when YouTube or some player is open it displays Media vol, and when Headphones or speakers are connected it shows external device volume. This can vary from device to device so open the full panel just to be certain that all options that could affect your headphones has a good vol level set. Also some options may disappear when items are not connected so be sure to do this with the headphones connected.

Do you get notification or any other sounds through this connection? Just curious. This might tell us something if other sounds come through.

Let us know what you find and we'll offer more advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter