Usb c to c not charging

bartjunited

Jul 12, 2018
Visit site
So my pixel 2 will not charge at the moment using the original Google USB c to USB c charger it will charge by other means such as USB a to USB c or a battery pack but just not with the original charger I have tried to delete some apps I've tried it in safe mode I have tried a brand new charger that Google sent me as well and none of them really work

When I first tried in safe mode the new charger that Google sent me did not work but my old USB c to c charger started to work and this worked when the phone was off and when I turn the phone back on but then today it has stopped working again

I contacted Google and they're only advice was tried in safe mode or factory reset the phone which didn't seem very helpful as it definitely seems like it's a software issue seeing as it works with other means other than just USB c to USB c really would appreciate anyone else's thoughts I'll help on this thanks in advance

Bart

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I contacted Google and they're only advice was tried in safe mode or factory reset the phone which didn't seem very helpful as it definitely seems like it's a software issue
Both Safe Mode and Factory Reset are software things, so it does make sense.

Since Safe Mode doesn't cause any problems, but it evidently doesn't fix the problem (it does make sense - Safe Mode is a software thing), you'll have to back up everything (see Backing up an Android Device ), remove your Google account (to avoid hitting the FRP problem) and do a factory reset. If that fixes it, restore everything. If it doesn't, call them and ask them if they could please replace the phone for you. And, if you talk nicely, you can even ask if they can send the new one first, and you'll send the bad one back in the next day's mail. (I've had this twice, and they did the "new one first" thing twice - but I always approach it as asking them for a favor, not as something that's my right.)

I've had this Pixel 2 for maybe 6 or 7 months now, and it still charges from both the Google charger and a $2 charger I found on eBay (an 18 Watt QC 3.0 charger for $2? I bought 2 of them), and I haven't heard of this problem before, so it's probably not common. (I can't imagine exactly what it is, though.)

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
This happened to me today. Tried to charge my Pixel 2 XL with a mophie battery pack and it wouldn't charge for some reason.

bartjunited

Jul 12, 2018
Visit site
Just now I turned off the phone and then put the charger in and it was charging while the phone is off and then when I turn the phone on it charged fully do you still think I should reset the phone

If so do I need to remove the account first and then do the factory reset as you mentioned

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Factory Reset Protection - if you don't remove your account before performing a Factory Reset you have to use the same login credentials when performing the next setup or you'll be locked out of the phone.
That's a great idea. Means the phone is useless if someone nicks it.

bartjunited

Jul 12, 2018
Visit site
Factory Reset Protection - if you don't remove your account before performing a Factory Reset you have to use the same login credentials when performing the next setup or you'll be locked out of the phone.
Just checking but as long as I use the same Google account but I did in the first place when I set the phone up do I still need to do the protection and remove the account first

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Before doing a factory reset, you might first consider cleaning your phone's charging port. It's amazing how a bit of unnoticeable dust/debris can interfere with getting a proper charge. Just make sure you power the phone off before cleaning, and don't use anything metallic to do the cleaning... plastic is good.

burrs87

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I've also had this problem the last few days. except it was all my chargers (7 different ones) would all shut the phone down when I plugged them in to charge. I called Google and are sending a replacement. now a day before the replacement gets here all the chargers but 3 of them are working as intended. this phone is starting to upset me.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Arghhhhhhhhh just reset the damn phone and the phone is still not charging with a USB c to USB c charger
Did you ever try the suggestion of the previous poster who mentioned cleaning the USB port on the phone? (Something like an old toothbrush would be ok, as long as you got any gunk off of it.) USB A <> USB C uses different signaling than USB C <> USB C, so if there's something in the port on the phone that's interfering with the negotiation then it may not charge correctly or at all.
Of course, it may just be that there's something wrong with your phone.

bartjunited

Jul 12, 2018
Visit site
Did you ever try the suggestion of the previous poster who mentioned cleaning the USB port on the phone? (Something like an old toothbrush would be ok, as long as you got any gunk off of it.) USB A <> USB C uses different signaling than USB C <> USB C, so if there's something in the port on the phone that's interfering with the negotiation then it may not charge correctly or at all.
Of course, it may just be that there's something wrong with your phone.
Could I use a contact cleaner spray like Servisol 10 thats used to clean switches?

bartjunited

Jul 12, 2018
Visit site
Ok so we have some joy

I used a Toothbrush to clean it and also I had some spray air that we use in pcs.

When I plug both the USB c to c chargers that I have it charges..... But at 1st I need to push the plug in slightly towards the right if that makes sense. It then says its charging rapidly??.

Spoke to Google Direct prior to doing this and they said they would sort the device out however as I bought this from a carrier and not Google Direct they are saying I would have to send this to them first and then receive the new one which is a right pain when I spoke to my carrier who is EE in the UK they have said that they would send the phone off for repair and only then made it replace it either way I could be without a phone for a while which I do not want to do

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well that is an improvement, but the 'wiggling' requirement to get it to charge correctly means that there's a future problem waiting for you. As long as you can tolerate the wiggling and the device is still in warranty then it's ok but at some point you're going to have to bite the bullet and get it repaired/replaced.

Although contact cleaner SHOULD be fine I wouldn't use it - it is a liquid and if any of it gets inside and triggers the moisture detectors then you're in trouble. Compressed air and a toothbrush were a good choice on your part.

bartjunited

Jul 12, 2018
Visit site
Well that is an improvement, but the 'wiggling' requirement to get it to charge correctly means that there's a future problem waiting for you. As long as you can tolerate the wiggling and the device is still in warranty then it's ok but at some point you're going to have to bite the bullet and get it repaired/replaced.

Although contact cleaner SHOULD be fine I wouldn't use it - it is a liquid and if any of it gets inside and triggers the moisture detectors then you're in trouble. Compressed air and a toothbrush were a good choice on your part.
Thanks for your help on this
The wiggling was a lot less.
Let's see how I fair if it does get any worse then Ill get it replaced.

Glad I found the compressed air

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae