USB charger, can you use the iphone type?

thecavemankevin

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering if you can use other USB port style chargers with the asus cable? I've got a bunch of iphone and generic ones laying around. It'd be nice if i only had to take the cable with me.

flacoff

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
take a look at the cable, there are five pins. normally you would see 4 pins.

take care of that charging cable

never tried ipad cable tho. this would be very nice if it works, as the stock asus cable is overpriced

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
They will work, just not as ell as your stock charger. My stock charger died and I found this "trick" - turn off wifi, plug into th phone charger base (still need the Asus cord of course) turn the screen off.

Set up like this mine will charge as much as 50% overnight {6-7 hours).
Like I said - not ideal but much better than a trickle that it will charge if you leave wifi on 1-2%an hour

I pad wall plugs work even better but still not as fast as the included wall charger.

The moral of the story is take care of your charger and DO NOT leave it plugged in to the stock charger overnight - many people including me have had their chargers die from that.

I have managed to keep my TF topped off for the past eweek with basically nothing but a phone charger and an occasional boost from my wife's I pad charger

My replacement came in the mail today but I still intnd to use the phone charger as my overnight charger as it won't crap out.

Basically with the phone charge out are charging at 5v, I pad 12v, stock charger 15 volts. The amps vary as well.

Last edited:

Guticb

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
They will work, just not as ell as your stock charger. My stock charger died and I found this "trick" - turn off wifi, plug into th phone charger base (still need the Asus cord of course) turn the screen off.

Set up like this mine will charge as much as 50% overnight {6-7 hours).
Like I said - not ideal but much better than a trickle that it will charge if you leave wifi on 1-2%an hour

I pad wall plugs work even better but still not as fast as the included wall charger.

The moral of the story is take care of your charger and DO NOT leave it plugged in to the stock charger overnight - many people including me have had their chargers di from that.

Wait... so you can't charge the Transformer overnight?!

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Well, I am not going to say you cnat but i would not advise it as there is an entire thread with lots of folks in it over on xda talking about how overnight charging killed their all charger - killed mine too.

They seem to think it is overheating - i do not know - i just know mine stopped charging and I had to have the entire tablet replaced as they will not ship out just the charger

As stated above a cell phone charger works great overnight with wifi off

The stock charger will top this thing off from almost dead in about 2 hours so overnight I guess is not needed, but it is reaaly annoying that Asus shipped such a nice tablet with such a crap charger.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I have had no issues. I charge mine overnight every 3-4 days.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Yep that's pretty much the story on xda too - some people have no problems an some have bricked chargers like mine - with these things so hard to find and replace I m not taking any chaances

SM0k3

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Oh wow, my charger just crapped out on me this morning, I left to charge overnight(10% battery) and woke up and it was only at 96% and the charging symbol wasn't on.....so I did what anyone else would have and plugged it into another socket and no go. It's not even a week old FFS! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Come on Asus, you have to do better than this.

stearic

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
For the people having no problems, does your charger get pretty hot to touch? I haven't had any problems yet, but i'm wondering if i have one of those chargers or not.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
There is a thread going in accessorues about third party chargers, but I have also mentioned above some ways to charge this thing other than stock.

I just received my second transformer and returned my first just to get a functioning wall charger. I guess every rushed deivce has its issues - iPhone 4 has antennagate, we get crappy chargers.

By the way, they will not just ship you a replacement charger i already tried - they want you to ship the whole damn thing in for maintenance - so I just bought anew one and returned it in the old ones box to a best buy store - the new charger works like a charm.

My new overnight solution is a normal 5v cell phone microusb charger with the screen off and the device in airplane mode - charges slower than the stock one but enough to be topped off by morning. If you do not do the airplane mode it will only charge 2% or so an hour.

Pretty annoyed that I had to figure this out - Asus should have made their wall charger smart enough to trickle charge when it heats up and tops the device off, but it is cheap. Still love my TF enough that its worth it.

stearic

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The thing that gets me, is that roughly 3 weeks ago on their site the charger was $30. Now when you look it's $40 and it's still "out of stock" like before. They are seriously taking the piss with this regarding the chargers.

Rickhuizinga

May 18, 2010
Visit site
My charger died in about 1 day after getting it. Have left the charger plugged into the dock full time.

UPDATE: I was able to get my charger to work again by sliding the plug adapter off from the power supply brick, then sliding it back on. It appears there is very poor contact between the pins on the power supply brick and the rotating blades on the plug adapter.

Last edited: