USB Connection and Fast Charge Issue

mddolloff

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
So my s8 has been acting funny for the last couple months and I am trying to figure out what is going on. At times it will fast charge and other times it won't. Sometimes I plug it in and it says "fast chagrining" and then promptly switches to "cable charging." Sometimes it still sees like it's fast charging even though the phone doesn't say it is.

In addition to that, the phone won't connect to any computer via USB anymore either. Sometimes it will say "connected" and then it will promptly disconnect. Sometimes it flashes back and forth between connected and disconnected.

I've tried multiple different cables and chargers and it doesn't seem to matter. I've also tried a factor reset as well as configuring the USB in developer mode. Nothing seems to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like a charging port issue. Since you have tried different cables and doing a reset, it most likely isn't a software issue.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking that was probably the case since I did the factory reset. Any ideas what the hardware problem might be?
Off hand, no. I get a kick out of watching component level repairs of boards from people like Louis Rossman, but I'm not that much into it.

It's probably as simple as some connection has come loose, like a solder joint breaking, but that is a complete guess.

mddolloff

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Off hand, no. I get a kick out of watching component level repairs of boards from people like Louis Rossman, but I'm not that much into it.

It's probably as simple as some connection has come loose, like a solder joint breaking, but that is a complete guess.

Yeah I'm probably going to try replacing the i/o board and see if that fixes it.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm probably going to try replacing the i/o board and see if that fixes it.
Careful with disassembling. Some of the connections can be fragile and break. Some of these connectors are thin enough plastic as it is, and the heat they have been subjected to doesn't help much.

mddolloff

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
So I have the parts in hand now, and I can't, cor the life of me get the back cover off the dang phone. I've been using a hair dryer to heat it up and it seems to get pretty hot but I can't get the adhesive to budge at all. I heat it so much I'm actually afraid I'll damage the phone. Any suggestions on a better tool to separate the back? It seems like, maybe the suction cup I am using isn't great?

mddolloff

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
For anyone who may stumble on this thread.......

I finally bought one of those dual suction cup tools and with heat got the phone open. Replaced the io Daughterboard (which has the USB port on it), reassembled and everything is working again. Fsdy charging and connection to a computer are working like champs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caroltheresa61