Use Moto G with external mike as hands-free voice-to-text notemaker

LittleValley

Nov 25, 2018
Visit site
I have a Moto G (first generation) mobile phone, which on the whole suits my needs very well. However I now need to do something which I haven’t succeeded in working out how to do.

I want to use the recording capability of the phone to make a series of notes in text form, but to do this in a hands-free manner, as my hands will be fully occupied in examining the items about which I’m making the notes. So I want to have the phone in my pocket and to use a ‘remote’ microphone rather than using the phone’s in-built microphone.

I have loaded onto the phone a voice-to-text app that gives good results when I’m holding the phone in my hand, and I have a headset Sennheiser microphone that I use for voice dictation at my computer that I intended to use with the phone via an OTG link. However, I've met two problems:

- the voice recognition facility on the phone turns off a few seconds’ pause in speaking. Clearly this is not going to be satisfactory if the phone is in my pocket! I assumed that there is some way of keeping the voice recognition turned on until actively turned off, but I couldn’t see how to do this, and when I approached Motorola for help they said: ' ... there is no option to change the timeout for issuing voice commands on the Google application, and you can only use commands when the screen is on, not standby. Though, there might be a third party application which could help you out' but they don't have details of such an app.

- I’m not able to decide whether the headset microphone is working satisfactorily because I can’t see how to turn off the phone’s internal microphone. Motorola's comment on this is: 'Unfortunately, since our devices were not designed for this purpose, we cannot guarantee, that connecting an external microphone via USB OTG link will work. If it would work, you will most-likely need to use an application (third party one, of course, which we are not supporting) that bypasses the Android Audio Framework in order to receive the audio input. However, we are not aware of any successfully reported method for doing this.'

Has anyone else found a way of doing what I'm trying to do?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Though I can't help you with the Google timeout issue, download 'Keep Screen On' from the playstore. It works with apps I have that need the screen on to be active. Good luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty