Using z with no mods

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Did anyone purchase the z with the intention of using it sans mods? I don't really have a need for any of the add ons but I keep feeling like that's the point of the phone and I'm missing out by not using them. I really got the phone for the near stock experience with some key enhancements. And the slimness.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
My whole intention of buying a Z Force and Z Play for the wife, was to use Moto Mods. We own a JBL Soundboost each, we each have a Battery Mod, extra style shells, and she has the Hassleblad Mod. Not saying that you have to have the Mods to enjoy the phone, it's a great phone without the Mods. But for us, we wanted the added functionality that the Moto Mods bring to the phone.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I've tried the battery mod. I just can't justify $80 for something that I can find cheaper and with more capacity that he whole family (all apple users) can consume. It's cool but I have chargers at home, work, in the car, and a tiny external battery for the emergency gotta get by moments. Plus a 20k mAh pack for long trips.

The soundboost sounds cool...cricket...but again o have a BT speaker already. And no need to leave my phone sitting out for it to work. I can walk around using my phone while playing tunes.

I'm not bagging on the mods. They are the best implementation of a modular design this far. But I just don't have the use for them. And I feel like my phone is incomplete without something on the back.

dmgerbino

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I added the Moto Black leather style shell to my Moto Z Force and it's awesome. When I'm using a style shell, I protect the phone with the Verizon bumper. I bet a thin Z would look and feel awesome with the leather style shell.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I looked into getting the new style shell that adds wireless charging but it's out of stock. Might have to just get one from last year

Last edited:

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
The reason I'd get a style shell is only to make the phone look complete....and to even out the camera hump. But now that I really look at the back of my phone with the gold pins and metal finish (cards on the table I have a Z2 play but the forum for this phone has no participation) it kind of looks like something out of star trek.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Attila