Verizon Galaxy Note 8 - Is it usable with a SIM card in other countries out of the box?

SemisolidSnake

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
I'm from the U.S. I'm going to buy a Galaxy Note 8 shortly, and I'll be sticking with Verizon as my carrier.

I recently went to Prague for a week with my Verizon Galaxy Note 3 with the intention of picking up a local prepaid SIM card to use in my phone for the week. I know the Note 3 has the guts to allow this, but I was annoyed when I got to Prague to find that Verizon specifically had locked down the ability to use SIM cards on my Note 3. At that point, I didn't want to take the risk of trying to root my phone and potentially bricking it while in a foreign country, so I just toughed it out without cellular access for the week.

Before I buy my Note 8 from and/or for Verizon, I would like to know from the experts, you guys with your vast knowledge, if the Verizon Note 8 will similarly have its ability to use SIM cards locked like my Note 3 did. Does it change things if I buy the phone upfront, say from Amazon, as opposed to buying and financing it from Verizon? If the SIM card is locked, will Verizon unlock it under certain conditions? I'd like to travel more, but I need to know I'll have a cooperative phone with me. Thank you.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm from the U.S. I'm going to buy a Galaxy Note 8 shortly, and I'll be sticking with Verizon as my carrier.

I recently went to Prague for a week with my Verizon Galaxy Note 3 with the intention of picking up a local prepaid SIM card to use in my phone for the week. I know the Note 3 has the guts to allow this, but I was annoyed when I got to Prague to find that Verizon specifically had locked down the ability to use SIM cards on my Note 3. At that point, I didn't want to take the risk of trying to root my phone and potentially bricking it while in a foreign country, so I just toughed it out without cellular access for the week.

Before I buy my Note 8 from and/or for Verizon, I would like to know from the experts, you guys with your vast knowledge, if the Verizon Note 8 will similarly have its ability to use SIM cards locked like my Note 3 did. Does it change things if I buy the phone upfront, say from Amazon, as opposed to buying and financing it from Verizon? If the SIM card is locked, will Verizon unlock it under certain conditions? I'd like to travel more, but I need to know I'll have a cooperative phone with me. Thank you.

Yes. You can put in a SIM it will connect up over there. The phone is unlocked right out of the box.

s.daniel32428

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site

Yes. You can put in a SIM it will connect up over there. The phone is unlocked right out of the box.

I went to Prague in October and had just bought my Note 8 and I got a Vodaphone sim for the 2 weeks there and it worked perfectly. I just had to create a sim password for if I turned my phone off. No problems

Last edited by a moderator:

QWKSNKE

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I just use the vzw international plan when I travel out of the country. I used to use local sims but my experience in europe is that it really isn't all that beneficial anymore.
Seems like last time I was in the UK I was able to use my current US plan for a fee of like 5 bucks a day which turned out cheaper than buying a local sim and spending the required minimum of 25 quid or whatever it was

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, you currently can if you buy now.

But Verizon will start locking their phones "sometime this Spring."

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I was just wondering, since I have my phone on a device installment plan, could I use it with another sim card on a different carrier for a month in Europe later this year? Just don't want to spend $5-10 a day if I can help it ....

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
if you are on a contract plan you should be entitled to the unlock code after a while, here in Europe you are anyway