Verizon Galaxy S4: A few last questions before I buy on Friday.

BigMonkey2013

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
My contract is up on Friday, and I hope to have a new S4 by Friday night,

1. If I buy at a regular store ( Walmart, Target...... ) can they still transfer all my contacts and apps? I know Verizon can. At least contacts.

2. Is there a book or magazine that shows you how to use virtually every feature the phone has? I once owned a Blackberry, and I bought a book that showed me tons more that could be done than what the manual told me about. ( I can't ask questions here about features that I don't know exist ) Or maybe you could link an excellent YouTube video?

3. So, if I buy the 16GB model, I get about 9GB of useable storage, plus 64GB if I add a 64GB SD card? .... essentially 73GB of storage?

4. I have heard there are many issues with Android playing Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+...... is that still true?

5. Finally..... looking for a GREAT ringtone maker that is simple to use. I have never used a ringtone maker. But I would love it if I could have several ringtones so that I can assign them to specific people.

I was never a power user before, but circumstances have changed, and I likely will be with this phone... especially in the camera / video area.

Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator:

bgl321

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: A few last questions before I buy on Friday.

No thanks..... I never buy phones when they first come out. They cost more, and I don't want to be a guinea pig.

If you are able to wait and want to save a few $ the price for the S4 will drop when the S5 is released, if not sooner. That being said, there may be deals out already that offer it for virtually nothing.

BigMonkey2013

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

If you are able to wait and want to save a few $ the price for the S4 will drop when the S5 is released, if not sooner. That being said, there may be deals out already that offer it for virtually nothing.

I am actually getting PAID $50 via gift card after my phone trade in..... can't beat getting paid to buy an S4, IMO.

inkdup102586

May 15, 2010
Visit site

1. If I buy at a regular store ( Walmart, Target...... ) can they still transfer all my contacts and apps? I know Verizon can. At least contacts.

2. Is there a book or magazine that shows you how to use virtually every feature the phone has? I once owned a Blackberry, and I bought a book that showed me tons more that could be done than what the manual told me about. ( I can't ask questions here about features that I don't know exist ) Or maybe you could link an excellent YouTube video?

3. So, if I buy the 16GB model, I get about 9GB of useable storage, plus 64GB if I add a 64GB SD card? .... essentially 73GB of storage?

4. I have heard there are many issues with Android playing Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+...... is that still true?

5. Finally..... looking for a GREAT ringtone maker that is simple to use. I have never used a ringtone maker. But I would love it if I could have several ringtones so that I can assign them to specific people.

I was never a power user before, but circumstances have changed, and I likely will be with this phone... especially in the camera / video area.

Thank You.

S4 will still be a great phone when the S5 comes out

1. I don't know about Walmart or target, I know Best Buy can transfer. But if you already have an android, it should all be backed up by your google account. Adding that account to your S4 should fix that issue.

2. I believe on Verizons website you can see all the features. If not, Youtube.

3. I only use a 32gb card on top of my 16gb phone. I'm just not beginning to put a dent into my SD card.

4. I haven't had an issue with Netflix or anything like that since my HTC Hero. S4 is pretty snappy. No issues.

5. I had an app for ringtone maker but I figured out how just to assign songs to individual people.

BigMonkey2013

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Thank you ink....

3. I have to shoot lots of videos for a website.... hence the need for lots of storage.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Thank You.

My 2 cents.... on the ones I know about or have some knowledge of...

1. Not sure about Walmart or Target, but I would trust they can do it at Bestbuy.

2. I'm sure any book store has some kind of basics on Android, but it's not going to know all the capability of the S4. Verizon would be a good choice, but I'd also check Samsung website... they have some good stuff on THEIR features.

3. Be sure to set your camera and video over to save all your output files on your SD card. I believe by default it is set to save to your device out of the box.

4. Don't use any of these so I can't speak to any of them.

5. Normally, I use a PC music editor to make my own ringtones or download some of the internet... then just save them on my internal storage (I think it's safer and more reliable for reboots or if you take the SD card out of your device).

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Thank you ink....

3. I have to shoot lots of videos for a website.... hence the need for lots of storage.

Back up your videos (and pics for that matter) to Google +. You can do it at full resolution and the storage limit is huge, then erase from the device. I use it for that purpose only.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
1. It might depend on the phone you're coming from. I'd just ask each place.

2. Google searches are probably the best way to find phone features. There will be a specific set for the S4, and then a more general set for Android. Really, a vast majority of the features will come from apps, so what features your phone has will be up to you. If you want your phone to do something, search for an app. If you can't find one Google it or ask if it's possible on some forums.

3. Yep. I have a 64GB card in my 16GB S4. I keep all my apps on internal storage and my photos, videos and music on the card. The media on the card is either backed up on a PC (actually I sync with iTunes) or in cloud storage. I back up my app and SMS data to cloud storage.

4. I'm not sure what you've heard, but Netflix has always worked on my phone and Android tablet.

5. You'll probably just have to try some out to find out what you want. I've used Ringdroid in the past and liked it, but that was a couple years ago. All you have to do is find a way to edit out what part of an MP3 you want to use. You can even do it on your PC and then just transfer the file to your phone. I've used that method more than anything else.

BigMonkey2013

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everybody.....I did, in fact, get my S4 on Friday....Valentine's day..... and there was bad weather..... and STILL, Verizon was busy, but they finally had the S4 for free, so I went there. Most of it seems pretty intuitive, or at least not that hard to find. I have had an issue, and maybe it is me, but sometimes when I hit the on-screen camera button, the photo doesn't take..... I know my best buddy has a hard time with touch displays recognizing his finger...... I hope that isn't true for me....

I need to get my 64GB card...... newegg, here I come....

TY all.

BTW, Verizon was able to transfer all my contacts, but 1/2 my apps did not transfer..... That's OK though, as I likely wasn't using most of the ones that didn't transfer.... I did find a few that I needed to re-download. The bad part is that at least one app I loved was free before, and if I want it again, it looks like I will have to buy it.

BigMonkey2013

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Back up your videos (and pics for that matter) to Google +. You can do it at full resolution and the storage limit is huge, then erase from the device. I use it for that purpose only.

I can't figure out how..... my wife did it, but can't figure out how to do it again. I will keep working on it.

pstellato73

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

I can't figure out how..... my wife did it, but can't figure out how to do it again. I will keep working on it.

Go to settings, accounts, Google, then choose Google +, and there is an option to backup pictures and video.

Posted via Android Central App