Verizon HTC One (M8) - No SMS Notifications?

Ken_FSU

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

New (obviously) HTC One user here. It's my tenth smart phone across all four platforms and I can easily say it's my favorite phone that I've used. Camera is perfectly serviceable too, and more than capable to taking solid, print-worthy pictures. Would love to see some software tweaks too, as it seems like the final picture saved to the camera roll is of slightly lesser quality than the picture in the viewfinder, if that makes sense.

Anyway, weirdest thing. I have tried everything, and I just can't seem to turn on notifications for the stock messaging program. Have toggled notifications on and off, rebooted, etc. No luck. All other apps deliver notifications seamlessly. Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited by a moderator:

GolferChris68

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon HTC One - No SMS Notifications?

Hi guys,

New (obviously) HTC One user here. It's my tenth smart phone across all four platforms and I can easily say it's my favorite phone that I've used. Camera is perfectly serviceable too, and more than capable to taking solid, print-worthy pictures. Would love to see some software tweaks too, as it seems like the final picture saved to the camera roll is of slightly lesser quality than the picture in the viewfinder, if that makes sense.

Anyway, weirdest thing. I have tried everything, and I just can't seem to turn on notifications for the stock messaging program. Have toggled notifications on and off, rebooted, etc. No luck. All other apps deliver notifications seamlessly. Anyone else experiencing this?

Notifications are working ok for me. Make sure you're using the HTC messaging app, not the Verizon one that is initially the default messaging app. The HTC app provides notifications as expected.

sc650

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

have you tried the ... more settings ? there should be a default sms app. switch it to messages.

slb21

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

have you tried the ... more settings ? there should be a default sms app. switch it to messages.

This was very helpful! Thanks so much! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Why would you use the HTC app instead of hangouts?

Posted via Android Central App

thegrants82, I took your question seriously and tried to read up on the hangouts app, but really didn't find any true review of it. Please let me know what it actually is!

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

Why would you use the HTC app instead of hangouts?

To each their own probably. I actually like the Verizon messaging app. I do want to try Hangouts, but I've heard messages are sometimes delayed or not delivered. Have you experienced that?

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I've been using Handcent for years and I love it. Got it set up just the way I like it. It is setup as my default sms and I do get notifications on my lock screen in the form of a pop-up and the notification light works too

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Patd4u

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi everybody,
I just got my M8 a couple of days ago, Awesome phone, I didnt like the Verizon messaging either so I just changed it to the SMS messaging app. But now I cant find the icon to send a message. The red Verizon icon with my message history wont let me send a text message. Where do I find the icon to send a message?

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

To each their own probably. I actually like the Verizon messaging app. I do want to try Hangouts, but I've heard messages are sometimes delayed or not delivered. Have you experienced that?

I like the Verizon messaging app too. I use it to sync with my tablet.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody,
I just got my M8 a couple of days ago, Awesome phone, I didnt like the Verizon messaging either so I just changed it to the SMS messaging app. But now I cant find the icon to send a message. The red Verizon icon with my message history wont let me send a text message. Where do I find the icon to send a message?

Assuming you went into Settings and changed your default messaging app to the stock Htc messaging app. On your home screen, tap the center icon on the dock (grid of dots) to open the app drawer, scroll down until you find an app labeled Messages, that's the one. You can press and hold it until you feel a haptic feedback and drag it to your home screen if you like.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci