Verizon lack of 5G?

Dws51

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have any insight as to when Verizon will actually provide 5G? They are going to lose me when the new iphone comes out offering 5G if they haven’t stepped up their coverage.

They should be ashamed how “Little T-Mobile” has become the front runner in the wireless industry.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm in between the New York City and Philly-metro area and I don't expect to see it available for any practical use for years. Perhaps Verizon will push to put mini-substations into homes before it's widely available. They'd have to spin-up something more attractive than Fios to win me over. Presently I have Xfinity/Comcast and since their mobile network utilizes Verizon's network perhaps that is how they get it into homes. Xfinity/Comcast's WiFi is available in many places I visit throughout the day. I've seen my Galaxy Watch automatically sign in to the network when I'm at two particular convenience stores in my travels. There are probably more hotspots of which I'm not aware.

Dws51

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
How appropriate, just today.....
Hans Vestberg, Vice Chairman said: the architect of the telecom giant’s 5G strategy — isn’t letting the COVID-19 pandemic slow down the company’s important broadband rollout.

In fact, the current situation in the country — which has made access to high-speed internet essential if not life-saving for households and businesses — has Verizon poised to accelerate its 5G deployment into 2021.

“First of all, I’m really excited about the back half of this year. Our team has done terrific work. They are actually on plan or ahead of plan of the biggest commitment we’ve ever done on deploying technology,” Vestberg told Yahoo Finance’s The First Trade after second quarter earnings were released on Friday. “So this year, we’re going to do 60 cities on 5G mobility. That’s five times more[/B] than we did in 2019. We’re going to do nationwide 5G. All that is on plan for us. And the second half is going to be exciting.”

Vestberg added, “We are building a 5G that is so transformative. We’re not building an incremental 4G to 5G. Not only that, of course, we are building the 5G home solution and mobile edge computing on the same network which is a totally different way of how you rethink the usage.”

Logan Inkd

Jul 11, 2020
Visit site
I'm in between the New York City and Philly-metro area and I don't expect to see it available for any practical use for years. Perhaps Verizon will push to put mini-substations into homes before it's widely available. They'd have to spin-up something more attractive than Fios to win me over. Presently I have Xfinity/Comcast and since their mobile network utilizes Verizon's network perhaps that is how they get it into homes. Xfinity/Comcast's WiFi is available in many places I visit throughout the day. I've seen my Galaxy Watch automatically sign in to the network when I'm at two particular convenience stores in my travels. There are probably more hotspots of which I'm not aware.
I wouldn't even stress it. Verizon will do what they want to do, disregarding customers

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
5G is 4 counties away from me..
80 miles.
Its where the rich folks live..
But I would like for my phone to work on 5G if I'm in the area.
But Verizon would want me to pay for it.

Not willing to pay for something that should be free.
If this is what 5G is all about..
Why not just stop 5G right now.
And quit wasting people's time

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
5G is 4 counties away from me..
80 miles.
Its where the rich folks live..
But I would like for my phone to work on 5G if I'm in the area.
But Verizon would want me to pay for it.

Not willing to pay for something that should be free.
If this is what 5G is all about..
Why not just stop 5G right now.
And quit wasting people's time
5G is not extra on every plan

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
“First of all, I’m really excited about the back half of this year. Our team has done terrific work.

Every corporate mouthpiece says that their team's done terrific work. The consumer might feel otherwise. The owners of the broken damn that caused the Great Johnstown Flood in 1889 no doubt said that their team had done terrific work.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If you currently aren't on a plan that includes 5G, then upgrading to any plan for it would be an extra cost. It's not included on my plan either, and no since paying extra to get it.
Not necessarily. Depends on your current plan, what discounts you have and what you jump to.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I use roughly 1.5GB per month, 5G is pointless for me. I'll keep my $10 a month.
Right now it makes no sense at all for me even if it was available because I'm working from home mostly on WiFi which is pretty fast. I might not ever have to go back to the office on a regular basis. I do leave the house but I'm going to have to look at my usage. Unlimited might not be worth it on all three lines in my household. Wife is working from home and daughter is still home from college.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Right now it makes no sense at all for me even if it was available because I'm working from home mostly on WiFi which is pretty fast. I might not ever have to go back to the office on a regular basis. I do leave the house but I'm going to have to look at my usage. Unlimited might not be worth it on all three lines in my household. Wife is working from home and daughter is still home from college.

How much speed/data do I really need? I'm occasionally involved in Zoom meetings (six since April) and the Xfinity WiFi handled it as did Verizon's current 4G network when i was away from home. I'd read recently that those Zoom meetings can eat-up 3 gigs of data per hour. Even with the pandemic and the seeming convenience of Zoom I've participated in more wingtips-on-the-ground meetings and on-site troubleshooting this year, to-date, than by this time last year or in '18. Everything, everywhere suddenly seems so heavily data-driven. Yesterday a bunch of us on a regular conference call were discussing, a la Garmin, what protocols would be followed if the data 'umbrella' we live under suddenly went bye-bye.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
How much speed/data do I really need? I'm occasionally involved in Zoom meetings (six since April) and the Xfinity WiFi handled it as did Verizon's current 4G network when i was away from home. I'd read recently that those Zoom meetings can eat-up 3 gigs of data per hour. Even with the pandemic and the seeming convenience of Zoom I've participated in more wingtips-on-the-ground meetings and on-site troubleshooting this year, to-date, than by this time last year or in '18. Everything, everywhere suddenly seems so heavily data-driven. Yesterday a bunch of us on a regular conference call were discussing, a la Garmin, what protocols would be followed if the data 'umbrella' we live under suddenly went bye-bye.
You're correct, however I'm mostly using WIFI because of the pandemic as I imagine most are and I have blazing speeds.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
You're correct, however I'm mostly using WIFI because of the pandemic as I imagine most are and I have blazing speeds.

Yes indeed. The speeds at home are gratifyingly fast alright. I looked at my account/usage statistics a couple of days ago and I was stunned at how many GB I and my stepson are using. Then I looked around and assessed how many connected devices were currently online. I was appalled. Even a pair of robot vacuum cleaners are communicating with something, the dishwasher and refrigerator too. I believe that the Ring camera system draws down its share of data as well.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes indeed. The speeds at home are gratifyingly fast alright. I looked at my account/usage statistics a couple of days ago and I was stunned at how many GB I and my stepson are using. Then I looked around and assessed how many connected devices were currently online. I was appalled. Even a pair of robot vacuum cleaners are communicating with something, the dishwasher and refrigerator too. I believe that the Ring camera system draws down its share of data as well.
I'm waiting for the internet providers to start penalizing us for using so much data.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm waiting for the internet providers to start penalizing us for using so much data.

I expect it at any moment. I'm going to try to limit the vampiric drain caused by unused devices. It will be like that scene in Apollo 13 where they try to power up the command module using as many amps as it takes to start-up a coffee pot.

masshuu

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Well I regularly get 200mbps on 4g, the same as the WiFi. Why on earth do I need faster than this?
Especially if it'll drain the battery faster.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz