Verizon or unlocked

ThrowinRocks

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=947456

Look towards beginning that's the visual voicemail now on unlocked models

That's odd since mine is a VZW model. My dialer doesn't look like that. I need a tutorial for setting up VVM using Google Voice because all the ones I've read an watched on youtube never works.
That's actually the only 2 things I like about iPhones. iMessage and the fact that VVM is baked into iOS.
Verizon actually charges $2.99 for VVM for Android phones.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Oh okay. I got called an ID10T on the Google help forums when I asked how to set up my Google Voice to use the VVM it offers. I'm betting you can guess what my response was. LOL
That's not right someone called you that ...it's always better to ask questions no matter how silly it may seem...

dbow27

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I have had unlocked Samsung's for the last several years on Verizon. voicemail is a separate app baked in and gives you basic voicemail. it lists out the numbers you recieved messages from. you click the number and it will play the audio of the message. for 2.99 a month you can get the premium which includes the text of the voicemail. not sure why in 2019 vvm is not offered for free

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have had unlocked Samsung's for the last several years on Verizon. voicemail is a separate app baked in and gives you basic voicemail. it lists out the numbers you recieved messages from. you click the number and it will play the audio of the message. for 2.99 a month you can get the premium which includes the text of the voicemail. not sure why in 2019 vvm is not offered for free
Are you referring to a Samsung app or Verizon?

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I have Verizon as my carrier. I've pre-ordered note 10+ unlocked at best buy. I've never bought an unlocked phone. Will I be missing features. I've read that unlocked phones take longer to get updates. Is this true?
If you buy into the purist's stand, you will lose some VZW bloatware. Does that stuff hurt performance? Not unless your idea of a great day is bettering yesterday's benchmark with your phone.

If you have a normal life, it won't matter.

You will lose some small goodies like VZW's vm app (which is actually pretty good), their specific cloud storage, etc but all in all no big deal.

Your updates will absolutely be less frequent bc they're driven largely by the carrier and not Alphabet. Security updates, etc are important to me personally so I go with the carrier based option.

Oh, and for what it's worth, an unlocked phone has wider resale value because it can be used with just about anyone. But, most of the time you can match or better that value with carrier based incentives at upgrade time.

I guarantee you that my Note 8 wouldn't get $450 on the open market if it was unlocked but its what I got from VZW in trade on a 10+.

Plus the $150 in goodies from Sam.

Food for thought

VannM

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Unlocked note8 has Samsung visual voicemail. It's exactly the same as the Verizon version.

The only thing I have noticed that's missing is the video calling feature. On the plus side there is a spam reporting button on the dialer. I don't know if it will help yet but I hope it does.
f1f046e152e9f1e5c46a9e5612d5f752.jpg

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok... unlocked Note 10 After leaving a test voice mail I got a prompt to download a visual voicemail app from the Galaxy store... Looks like it worked fine.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Unlocked note8 has Samsung visual voicemail. It's exactly the same as the Verizon version.

The only thing I have noticed that's missing is the video calling feature. On the plus side there is a spam reporting button on the dialer. I don't know if it will help yet but I hope it does.
f1f046e152e9f1e5c46a9e5612d5f752.jpg
I think to get the text on Verizon it's extra.

dbow27

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
the text on the vvm is 2.99 a month. the basic app gives you a lineup of voicemails and will play them with audio only.

yes unlocked has WIFI calling

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk