Verizon S5 to Straight Talk ADD APN ? Lollipop 5

thertguy

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I just the other day switched from Verizon to Straight Talk, my contract was up, havnt cancelled service with Verizon yet till I made sure Straight talk was going to work out.

I have everything working, my Data Speed test is like 5mbps download and 2 mbps upload.

From what I see if you Add new APN settings you should get higher speeds, is this correct ?

If so my issue is, the "+" ADD button is disabled in the APN screen, so I cant Add or Edit anything.

Ive tried searching, and really cant find a straight answer on this, Im not a big phone "Nerd" but have some understanding of things, just hate to deal with slower speeds if theres a way around it.

Thank you for any input

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have everything working, my Data Speed test is like 5mbps download and 2 mbps upload.

From what I see if you Add new APN settings you should get higher speeds, is this correct ?
No, if you have an internet connection, you have the correct APN settings. You can't choose APN settings, you have to use the one the network you're on uses - which you evidently are. (Did you switch to Straight Talk's Verizon plan, or some other carrier? [Using a different carrier could mess up your data speeds.])

thertguy

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes Im running Straight Talk that uses the Verizon Coverage, I had watched a couple videos that guys where getting somewhat Normal VERIZON Speeds on the Straight Talk plan.

Or does Verizon just have everything throttled back for Straight Talk users and theres no way around getting Faster Speeds using Straight Talk ?

Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Verizon throttles Straight Talk customers. Are you sure you're using the Straight Talk APN, not the Verizon one?

thertguy

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Verizon throttles Straight Talk customers. Are you sure you're using the Straight Talk APN, not the Verizon one?
APN reads vzwinternet
mcc 311
mnc 480
apn type default,dun,supl
APN protocol Ipv4/Ip46

but the only thing in these setting it will allow me to change is the actual APN name nothing else

Does this seem correct or do I have SIM card issues or something?

Thanks for your help

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I think you can text APN to 611611 and it'll send you the APN to auto install it. At least that's how I did it on my GSM S5.

Also, once you upgrade to Marshmallow, the way it sets up the APN settings are different.

Once you do it, though, your CDMA device will be locked to Straight Talk. So, then, if you ever sell it, it will have to be used on Straight Talk by whomever you sell it to. With the GSM variants, it doesn't lock the device to the carrier, though.