Verizon SIII JB Upgrade to 4.1.2

xchikax

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I've been scanning pages of threads for hours, and I *hate* posting questions that have been asked before, but I can't seem to find an answer to my entire question so here it goes....

I have a SGS3 with 4.1.2 installed. I need to downgrade to 4.1.1 - long story. I don't want any custom ROMs, etc. Do I need to unlock? Do I need to root to prevent Verizon from pushing 4.1.2 OTA as soon as I get this back up? I'm a total n00b with this stuff and I could use help from someone who can explain it in a very non-technical way. Thanks for your help!

bgbagz

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Does the Verizon 4.1.2 update have the same ui in the gallery as the the T mobile Version 4.1.2

Posted via Android Central App

DW4LYF

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok I only skimmed this forum, and I didn't see an answer to my question, maybe someone can reply and help me out. I currently have the Verizon S3 with 4.1.1 rooted. It keeps bugging me to update to 4.1.2. I have read in other forums that doing the update while rooted will cause me major issues. I'm looking for a method to update from 4.1.1 rooted to 4.1.2 rooted without unrooting or wiping the device. Anyone have any idea if this is possible?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Ok I only skimmed this forum, and I didn't see an answer to my question, maybe someone can reply and help me out. I currently have the Verizon S3 with 4.1.1 rooted. It keeps bugging me to update to 4.1.2. I have read in other forums that doing the update while rooted will cause me major issues. I'm looking for a method to update from 4.1.1 rooted to 4.1.2 rooted without unrooting or wiping the device. Anyone have any idea if this is possible?

OK -- I'm going to assume that you have ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed since that is generally part of the root process.

2nd...when you do an update without a wipe, just know that there's always a chance things will get corrupted and/or jacked up, *even* with official OTA updates on non-rooted devices, this is a common problem. I highly advise that anyone learn how to properly backup and restore their data, because honestly, doing a device wipe prior to an update really is the best way to do it.

Having said that, if you really want to update to 4.1.2 without unrooting or wiping, I'd use this: [ROM][3/6/13] - Stock Root JB 4.1.2 - I535VRBMB1 Official Update - xda-developers
The "odex" version is probably best if you're currently running stock (not a custom ROM).
You'll want to flash the ROM zip as well as the modem and rpm (linked to on the 3rd post in that thread) in CWM.
You can do this update without a wipe, but I'd still make a backup, because if it goes wrong, you may have no choice but to bite the bullet and re-install with the data wipe.

Ok so I've been scanning pages of threads for hours, and I *hate* posting questions that have been asked before, but I can't seem to find an answer to my entire question so here it goes....

I have a SGS3 with 4.1.2 installed. I need to downgrade to 4.1.1 - long story. I don't want any custom ROMs, etc. Do I need to unlock? Do I need to root to prevent Verizon from pushing 4.1.2 OTA as soon as I get this back up? I'm a total n00b with this stuff and I could use help from someone who can explain it in a very non-technical way. Thanks for your help!

Perhaps you could share a bit of this long story? I say this because there's no *easy* way to downgrade the OS, and yes, I'm pretty sure you'd have to be rooted and bootloader unlocked to be able to do so...however folks here may be able to suggest an alternative downgrading depending on what your reason(s) are for needing to do so.

xchikax

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Looks like I was able to do it by USB Debugging mode, downloading the official Verizon firmware 4.1.1, restarting in developer mode, installing the PDA through Odin, restarting. It seems to have worked.

RickG.

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Question.... Anyone else's battery getting extremely hot since the update. I have gotten warnings that it was too hot ever since the update. Never got one before.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail