Verizon Terminates My Unlimited Plan

shawnreum

Banned
Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
Just a heads up on the new tactic Verizon is taking to terminate users grandfathered in on the unlimited data plan.

A guy named Scott Johnson called me from Verizon Executive Customer Relations - or something to that effect. He joyfully told me that Verizon was terminating my account because 'a majority' of the use was on an extended network. I know for a fact this is a bogus claim. I'm a PhD student at the University of Oklahoma in Norman, and I've never seen my phone switch to an extended network since I've been here. I use only 100-200 minutes a month, including weekends, and only 10-20GB of data.

Scott was very unfriendly, as if I'd committed some sort of crime for giving them my business for the last 8 years. I asked him if he knew that I've been a loyal customer for the last 7-8 years, and he said, "Yeah, I can see that." He didn't even give me a thank you. He just told me they are more than happy to port my number to another carrier. They didn't offer me another plan or offer me a way to stay with Verizon. It is a total sham. I don't want anything to do with such an unethical company. They will never, ever see a red cent from me as long as I live. I'll be sure to tell everyone I know to stay away from Verizon. How horrible they are to lie and make up an excuse.

I'm glad they are terminating my account, because I was going to switch carriers when the Samsung 8 came out, anyway. Verizon has been price gouging to the max. Anyone have suggestions on which carrier I should use? Thanks.
Go T-Mobile.
They have the best rates and best customer service.
They actually care to keep their customers.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
And how many of those "average users" were on limited plans and afraid of overages so probably didn't startup a YouTube video or Netflix because of said fear?

If you took a study from this year with all the services and gave everyone unlimited data I bet it would be different. My Gf is a prime example. She used to use < 2 GB each month on her unlimited line... She now averages 10+ GB each month easily. She isn't doing movies or anything super crazy.. Just her normal music streaming but FB now has tons of embedded videos so it counts up quick. Especially since she is one of those people who loves FB.

I would agree.. My wife's usage has gone up 100x since 2011. Videos will eat data quickly.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
People don't understand though... They say they are light users... Only one or two hours a day... But with YouTube Facebook Netflix, and the like... That can easily go 10-20gb if not more.

definitely "more" :)

I haven't counted my mobile usage... but on my home internet(cable), I average about 800gb per month. (but have gone as high as 1500gb last July). I am a hardcore cordcutter and 100% of my video watching come from YouTube, Apple TV, Netflix, paid IPTV, and others...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just a heads up on the new tactic Verizon is taking to terminate users grandfathered in on the unlimited data plan.

A guy named Scott Johnson called me from Verizon Executive Customer Relations - or something to that effect. He joyfully told me that Verizon was terminating my account because 'a majority' of the use was on an extended network. I know for a fact this is a bogus claim. I'm a PhD student at the University of Oklahoma in Norman, and I've never seen my phone switch to an extended network since I've been here. I use only 100-200 minutes a month, including weekends, and only 10-20GB of data.

Scott was very unfriendly, as if I'd committed some sort of crime for giving them my business for the last 8 years. I asked him if he knew that I've been a loyal customer for the last 7-8 years, and he said, "Yeah, I can see that." He didn't even give me a thank you. He just told me they are more than happy to port my number to another carrier. They didn't offer me another plan or offer me a way to stay with Verizon. It is a total sham. I don't want anything to do with such an unethical company. They will never, ever see a red cent from me as long as I live. I'll be sure to tell everyone I know to stay away from Verizon. How horrible they are to lie and make up an excuse.

I'm glad they are terminating my account, because I was going to switch carriers when the Samsung 8 came out, anyway. Verizon has been price gouging to the max. Anyone have suggestions on which carrier I should use? Thanks.

Are you out of contract?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
After reading through this thread the most obvious thing I can see here is ANY of the US carriers today would love to get as many folks off the old " unlimited " plans that many are still holding onto. True UNLIMITED usage and no throttling, optimizing, etc. The new unlimited plans today are great deals but they do make it clear your unlimited up to a certain point then you could be subjected to prioritizing and optimization depending on network load. Plus they have all gone to this new 480p optimized YT and other heavy usage/common sites to keep network load down and still be able to offer you what they consider an acceptable experience.

I'm personally a long time Sprint subscriber, and yeah I keep wanting to switch now that I'm off contract on all my lines but same time giving up that old TRUE unlimited family plan I have is hard to swallow because I know where ever I end up it maybe better in some regards as in network speeds compared to Sprint but at the same time I'll be signing up for these newer fine tuned, unlimited plans which may not be appealing to most in the long haul especially if your a average to above average user.

Bottom line is roll the dice where you go and pick your poison :)

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Plus they have all gone to this new 480p optimized YT and other heavy usage/common sites to keep network load down and still be able to offer you what they consider an acceptable experience.
Verizon's "unlimited" is not limited to 480p, and T-Mo has announced they're changing their plan so it won't be 480p either. You'll be able to stream higher res video with either if you so choose.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
If I understand right the higher the resolution the more data you will use. If that's correct, you will just reach your 22 gigs faster.

Is there a noticable difference of 480p on a phone screen?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Is there a noticable difference of 480p on a phone screen?

I routinely watch at 480p on my phone and the difference is negligible. I'm sure I'd notice if I paused and compared still frames, but it's fine during playback. Heck, sometimes I even drop it to 360p on YouTube if I'm not concerned with quality.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like VZ's Executive Customer Relations team needs some coaching on how to deal with customers...

It may not always be apparent if you're on an 'extended' network as Verizon may have configured your phone to still display Verizon for select partners - not sure if this applicable in you case, but it's a possibility that could validate their claim. If majority of use is not directly on Verizon-operated network, they're likely paying out in incollect fees to their roaming partners more than they're profiting from you, to a net loss, so offering to switch you to another program wouldn't make fiscal sense.

As to other carriers... you'll do a lot better asking friends and fellow students in your area who have other services, as well as checking coverages in other areas to which you travel. With all carriers offering unlimited programs that will suit the data use you describe, you definitely have options. T-Mobile is pretty reasonable, now allows full HD streaming, 10GB LTE hotspot, 1 hour free wifi on a lot of airline flights, international roaming/LD/data, and would be my recommendation IF the network is viable in your area. Sprint is the only cheaper option, but most likely will not have lesser coverage, doesn't allow HD streaming iirc and has lower hotspot allowance and nationally about the worst network. Unless AT&T offers notably better reception, I wouldn't recommend them as they're more expensive and don't include hotspot.

davisjan

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
I am thinking of terminating Verizon. Just bought "certified" used Galaxy S5 that came with serious speaker issues. People on other end either can't hear or can't understand me due to echo or distortion. So far they act like this is my problem not theirs. I was so pissed I looked up provider coverages and T-mobile now has almost as good coverage as Verizon. Looks like they have a just as cheap unlimited use plan. However, I never trust what phone or cable co.'s state on websites. Maybe someone out there can comment on T-Mobile?

comk4ver

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking of terminating Verizon. Just bought "certified" used Galaxy S5 that came with serious speaker issues. People on other end either can't hear or can't understand me due to echo or distortion. So far they act like this is my problem not theirs. I was so pissed I looked up provider coverages and T-mobile now has almost as good coverage as Verizon. Looks like they have a just as cheap unlimited use plan. However, I never trust what phone or cable co.'s state on websites. Maybe someone out there can comment on T-Mobile?
Isn't there a window to return the defective item?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Isn't there a window to return the defective item?

This. Verizon definitely allows returns or warranty exchanges on defective devices within the time indicated when you purchased your phone. And just about any other place would allow a return too.

Also Verizon does offer extended warranty if you know anyone with it, you can pop their sim into your phone, and at least in California, Verizon extended warranty covers pre existing conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174