Vivo X Fold3 Pro Global... WOW!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I waited patiently for the Samsung Fold6 to replace my Fold5 and felt that for the minor changes that it offered I could not justify shelling out £1,800+ for it and decided to wait for the launch of the Google Pixel9 Fold.

After the lacklustre launch of the Pixel9 Fold and its smaller battery and Tensor chip I resigned myself to not upgrading until I came across the Vivo X Fold3 Pro Global with its large, bright screen, huge battery and superfast charging, I decided to take a chance and received it a week ago. Since the lack of eSIM and stylus were not deal breakers to me, it was not a big jump.

All I can say is... WOW!

It has a bigger, (5700 mAh), battery, faster charging, (0>100% in 33 mins), biggest, (8.03"), folding screen, lighter than the Fold 6 and Pixel9 Fold, 16GB RAM+16GB of Swap RAM, smooth carbon fiber hinge, bright, (4500 nits), screen in direct sunlight that makes other phones look dim... and the list goes on.

This is the fold phone that both Samsung and Google need to beat.

Whilst I am by no means a professional photographer the Zeiss cameras on this device blows me away.

Luckily, I found a distributor here in the U.K. who also covers the U.S.A. and offers a years warranty.

There does not appear to be a Vivo X Fold3 Pro section so I will leave any further comparisons but if like me, you are underwhelmed at the latest Fold offerings from Samsung and Google I can recommend taking a look at the new Vivo X Fold3 Pro Global.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Carbon fiber hinge? Nice
My Fold 6 has the back like carbon fiber but not the hinge

How's the device so far? The os and multi tasking?

Reactions: Bkdodger1

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Carbon fiber hinge? Nice
My Fold 6 has the back like carbon fiber but not the hinge

How's the device so far? The os and multi tasking?
WOW!

If you need a built-in esim* or stylus support... stop reading now.

Have now been on the Vivo X Fold3 Pro (Global) for about 3 weeks and I am blown away.

The OS is similar to OnePlus and more like Google than Samsung and has some nice, useful, features. Multi tasking is no problem for it with 16GB of RAM + 16GB of ZRAM and the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 chip, (as you would expect), and 120Hz scrolling on both inner and outer screens.

The carbon fibre, (fiber), hinge is so much better and smoother than the Samsung Fold 4&5. Easier to open and stays at all angles. I use my phone unfolded about 30% of the time... more so than the Fold4&5. The 6.53" front screen is also easier to use when the phone is closed, (roughly the same dimension as the Samsung Galaxy A54), and both screens are super bright in sunlight, (4,500 nits max).

The 5,700 mAh silicon carbide battery charges from 0-100% in 31 minutes (wired at 100W) and about an hour on wireless at 50W, (requires the Vivo wireless charger 2). A big bonus for me as I always need a fully charged phone. A full battery lasts me almost 2 days of my use.

I am by no means a professional photographer but just using the Zeiss automatic settings produces the best photos and videos I have ever had on any camera phone.

The phone feels so much slimmer and lighter than the Samsung Folds and the stereo speakers are comparable with the Fold's. I like the sound On/Off switch at the top right of the closed device... a la OnePlus. Also useful is the IR blaster for controlling my TV's and a range of other devices. Not too much manufacturer's bloatware and that it can be easily got rid of or disabled is a bonus. The fact that the Vivo X Fold3 Pro was first released in China back in March with such top spec hardware followed by a limited global release to India and, I believe, Malaysia and still manages to offer as much, if not more, than the latest fold phone releases, (including the new Honor Magic V3 and forthcoming Samsung Fold6 Ultra Slim), says a lot.

As it is a global model, it connects to 5G here in the U.K. but U.S. users will need to the bands with their various carriers. Wi-Fi calling works fine.

The phone came with a 120W charging brick and cable, (although it charges at 100W) and a rear case.

For me, in the U.K, the choice was the 512GB Samsung Fold6, (£1,899), the Google Pixel9 Pro Fold, (£1,869) or the Vivo X Fold3 Pro Global, (£1,799). See comparison...

Downside is that I have bought the Chipola ONE Point smart tag as the Samsung tag and Smart Things does not work on non Samsung devices. Also there is no stylus support but since I have hardly used my Samsung stylus in 2 years, this is not a deal breaker for me.

* An esim would have been useful but I am exploring the Airalo: eSim app from the Google Play Store.

IMHO, this is the fold phone that both Samsung and Google need to look to.

Settings
Screenshot_2024_0914_131043Vivo Fold3 Pro SETTINGS.jpg

RAM

Vivo Fold3 Pro RAM 1 Screenshot_20240914_131508.jpg

AccuBattery

Screenshot_20240914_132226Vivo Fold3 ACCU BATTERY.jpg

Attachments

• Vivo Fold3 Pro RAM Screenshot_20240914_131508.jpg
    Vivo Fold3 Pro RAM Screenshot_20240914_131508.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Ha it would be nice if I paid attention

I'm jealous we can't get a fully working US version
No worries @Bkdodger1. The global model is a very limited roll-out and it will be interesting to see if they can keep up the innovation and go for a full release globally and to the U.S.A. If so, watch out Samsung and Google. By then I may have moved on to the Huawei Ultimate tri-fold. :D

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
No worries @Bkdodger1. The global model is a very limited roll-out and it will be interesting to see if they can keep up the innovation and go for a full release globally and to the U.S.A. If so, watch out Samsung and Google. By then I may have moved on to the Huawei Ultimate tri-fold. :D
I've been watching that trifold videos Hands-On very nice impressive stuff going on right there and looking forward to seeing it improve upon

Reactions: ironass

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
WOW!

If you need a built-in esim* or stylus support... stop reading now.

Have now been on the Vivo X Fold3 Pro (Global) for about 3 weeks and I am blown away.

The OS is similar to OnePlus and more like Google than Samsung and has some nice, useful, features. Multi tasking is no problem for it with 16GB of RAM + 16GB of ZRAM and the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 chip, (as you would expect), and 120Hz scrolling on both inner and outer screens.

The carbon fibre, (fiber), hinge is so much better and smoother than the Samsung Fold 4&5. Easier to open and stays at all angles. I use my phone unfolded about 30% of the time... more so than the Fold4&5. The 6.53" front screen is also easier to use when the phone is closed, (roughly the same dimension as the Samsung Galaxy A54), and both screens are super bright in sunlight, (4,500 nits max).

The 5,700 mAh silicon carbide battery charges from 0-100% in 31 minutes (wired at 100W) and about an hour on wireless at 50W, (requires the Vivo wireless charger 2). A big bonus for me as I always need a fully charged phone. A full battery lasts me almost 2 days of my use.

I am by no means a professional photographer but just using the Zeiss automatic settings produces the best photos and videos I have ever had on any camera phone.

The phone feels so much slimmer and lighter than the Samsung Folds and the stereo speakers are comparable with the Fold's. I like the sound On/Off switch at the top right of the closed device... a la OnePlus. Also useful is the IR blaster for controlling my TV's and a range of other devices. Not too much manufacturer's bloatware and that it can be easily got rid of or disabled is a bonus. The fact that the Vivo X Fold3 Pro was first released in China back in March with such top spec hardware followed by a limited global release to India and, I believe, Malaysia and still manages to offer as much, if not more, than the latest fold phone releases, (including the new Honor Magic V3 and forthcoming Samsung Fold6 Ultra Slim), says a lot.

As it is a global model, it connects to 5G here in the U.K. but U.S. users will need to the bands with their various carriers. Wi-Fi calling works fine.

The phone came with a 120W charging brick and cable, (although it charges at 100W) and a rear case.

For me, in the U.K, the choice was the 512GB Samsung Fold6, (£1,899), the Google Pixel9 Pro Fold, (£1,869) or the Vivo X Fold3 Pro Global, (£1,799). See comparison...

Downside is that I have bought the Chipola ONE Point smart tag as the Samsung tag and Smart Things does not work on non Samsung devices. Also there is no stylus support but since I have hardly used my Samsung stylus in 2 years, this is not a deal breaker for me.

* An esim would have been useful but I am exploring the Airalo: eSim app from the Google Play Store.

IMHO, this is the fold phone that both Samsung and Google need to look to.

Settings
View attachment 365514

RAM

View attachment 365517

AccuBattery

View attachment 365516
Sweet
What about 3rd party accessories no problem?

Reactions: ironass

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Sweet
What about 3rd party accessories no problem?
Good question.

As I mentioned, the Samsung Smart Tag app does not work on the Vivo and I have had to order the Chipola ONE Point smart tag. Android Auto works just fine. However, I do not have a Smart Watch but I am guessing that a Google or Samsung smart watch, "may", not play nicely as they could require the relevant manufacturers eco systems for full functionality. If I needed a smart watch, I would probably go for the Vivo Watch 3.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Two things I forgot to mention are...

The under screen fingerprint scanners on both the cover screen and the main screen, (6.26 in this video). I was dubious at first as I had only ever used the side, (Power), button scanner before. They are both fast and accurate and I much prefer them to the Power button.

The crease on this phone is barely there. Certainly, the least noticeable of any fold phone that I have seen and used. Even rubbing my finger over the inner screen the crease is hardly discernible. I was tempted by the new Xiaomi Mix Fold 4 at 9.55mm thick but the crease on it was on a par with the Samsung Folds... not to mention the smaller battery and slower charging.

Reactions: YankInDaSouth

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Vivo X Fold3 Pro Global (non Chinese) model network bands as per Wondamobile...

Screenshot 2024-09-17 104555.png

T-Mobile USA network bands...

Screenshot 2024-09-17 102536.png

5G preferred in Settings >Network & internet > SIM card & mobile network > (Carrier name) > Preferred network type...

Vivo Fold3 5G Pref Screenshot_20240917_102914.jpg

Speedtest for Vodafone U.K....

Vivo Fold3 Pro Speed test 5G Screenshot_20240917_122520.jpg