VM TOS against Rooting - question

donsjokes

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Since VM clearly states in it's Terms of Service that is does not allow rooting of their phones, do they do anything in particular to check to see if any of their customer's phones have been rooted or modified? Obviously, if you brick a phone and take to one of their authorized service centers, sure, but what about in everyday use?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

DrDoppio

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
It is easy to do, they just need to write a tiny program that checks for root just as any software that requires root does, and then phones home. So I will be very surprised if they don't have this pre-installed in the phone. I'm curious if anyone knows if it can be hacked to report that your phone's not rooted after you root it...

rebel69ization

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I believe if you buy that phone it us yours to do whatever in the hell you want with it. They can't tell you what to do, as long as your not copying their software and putting it on another phone.

sent from my device using XPB ICS Tapatalk 2

Reactions: droidmyme

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I believe if you buy that phone it us yours to do whatever in the hell you want with it. They can't tell you what to do, as long as your not copying their software and putting it on another phone.

But they can use such information to void your warranty and deny tech support if they know you are rooted.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

donsjokes

May 18, 2012
Visit site

I agree. I spent $200 on this phone from Best Buy a year ago. I consider it to be mine 100%. While I know I can do anything with it that I want, their TOS states that if it's rooted, and they use that word specifically, that they can deny service. I'm just wondering if they have ever caught someone using a rooted phone (outside the scenario where they take their phone in for repairs), and if so, terminated their service.

Not that I'm scared, mind you. I'm currently running LeslieAnn's latest Harmonia 2, but I've tried a couple other ROMs and I strongly suspect I'll be trying others soon! ;)

Ryuk6666

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, seems it's not gonna be a problem at all. I ran over my OV with a forklift Saturday. Gonna miss that old phone. :'(

The poor thing.... :( *plays trumpet funeral music* how did that happen? D:

Sent from my Cybertronian QuattrOV using Tapatalk 2000 (Now With Teleka-Typing!!!!)

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Virgin Mobile isn't an Orwellian state. They are not going to be monitoring people. If lots of people start doing stupid things like bricking their phones and then returning them, and it hurts their business, then I would think if they catch you doing it they will kick you off. But if you're decently smart and discreet, I honestly don't believe you have any reason to be paranoid. My honest opinion

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MusicChris63