VM670 update?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
So it hasn't been confirmed that this is a baseband update? What are the chances that we could lose our ability to re root? I thought we were told never to accept updates from LG.

"I'd almost like to say that when it comes to VM phones I'd almost rather have a bricked phone than a stock phone."

That's a bold statement. Root or die basically.

Sent from my Optimus V using Tapatalk

Don't think of it as losing your root. Think of it as patching a security hole. Yay :(

But honestly, having a rooted or rootable phone is a huge security risk. If a tech savvy thief or even a cop gets a hold of your phone, they have access to a lot more information. Examples of what I have gotten off my phone:

passwords to various accounts
deleted contacts
deleted web browsing history
location based data (oddly enough not two years worth like the Iphone)

Not that I'm being hunted by by anyone or any sovereign country, but it is good to know what is and isn't on your easily lost phone.

And until this becomes a working update, it is not a baseband update. It is just a junk file.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
So it hasn't been confirmed that this is a baseband update? What are the chances that we could lose our ability to re root? I thought we were told never to accept updates from LG.

"I'd almost like to say that when it comes to VM phones I'd almost rather have a bricked phone than a stock phone."

That's a bold statement. Root or die basically.
It's possible they could block rooting, but considering the mess they have made with this update and how little anyone seems to know about it, I'm guessing it's just the update.

As for the statement...
The stock phone lags... BAD, seriously, re-flash an old nandroid. The crap they load on it slows it down by 25% and battery life is cut almost in half. I think the only phone Virgin put out that they didn't load with crap, was the Blackberry. Which interestingly enough, you can also mess with the OS (hybrids are nice!) and they don't worry too much about you doing it. It's actually quite a good system.

Not that I'm being hunted by by anyone or any sovereign country, but it is good to know what is and isn't on your easily lost phone.

And until this becomes a working update, it is not a baseband update. It is just a junk file.
That is why we have tracking software, well, mine does (I have remote wipe as well). Mine has access to too much sensitive info (company servers and such), all of which is password protected anyhow.

As for what a cop or someone else could see, have fun. I hope they like looking at various flower themed wallpaper and reading lovey-dovey messages. :p

Oh, and I hope they have a warrant.

Agreed about the update, until we know what it is, and how to implement it, it's not worth anything.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Don't think of it as losing your root. Think of it as patching a security hole. Yay :(

But honestly, having a rooted or rootable phone is a huge security risk. If a tech savvy thief or even a cop gets a hold of your phone, they have access to a lot more information. Examples of what I have gotten off my phone:

passwords to various accounts
deleted contacts
deleted web browsing history
location based data (oddly enough not two years worth like the Iphone)

Does doing a cache/data wipe actually clear all data, or does it leave remnants behind like what you mentioned?

Reactions: ilovemydaughter

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Deleting using any built in function of your phone or app won't get rid of the data. Deleted contacts for example are kept in your contacts database file until the file itself is overwritten or deleted. Even physically deleting the file does not remove it from the flash memory. Since flash memory only has a certain number of writes for its lifetime, the space that your file occupied won't be overwritten until you have gone through all the remaining space on the disk at least once. Even doing a wipe won't get rid of all your info because of this behavior by the flash memory. The odds of recovery become less and less with more writes to your flash memory. So if you are worried about this, after a wipe, install the largest rom you can find with the most amount of bloatware. It'll overwrite your deleted files. Then wipe again and install your rom of choice. If you have data2ext, good luck overwriting the 1 gig of space you gave yourself. Of course, this is all being overly paranoid. No offense, but most people on this site are not interesting enough to be tapped for info or passwords. Like LeslieAnn said, all they'll end up with are wallpapers, music, and lolcat images.

One thing everyone should watch out for though is apps that store your passwords in plain text. You'd be surprised how many apps do this. I'm working on a utility that will search your data folder for passwords. I think people will be surprised by what turns up.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
One thing everyone should watch out for though is apps that store your passwords in plain text. You'd be surprised how many apps do this. I'm working on a utility that will search your data folder for passwords. I think people will be surprised by what turns up.

Look this app over. Its takes time to get it setup but its pretty much what your thinking about I believe.

Last edited:

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
As for what a cop or someone else could see, have fun. I hope they like looking at various flower themed wallpaper and reading lovey-dovey messages. :p

Oh, and I hope they have a warrant....

Depending upon the circumstances, they don't need a warrant to search your phone. And there is software available to LE that allows them to access just about any phone (iPhone, BB, Android, etc) regardless of the security measures incorporated. This software is probably already leaked, so criminals most likely have a copy by now (or will soon, it's just a matter of time), and then any criminal who finds your phone can get all your info off it.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Depending upon the circumstances, they don't need a warrant to search your phone. And there is software available to LE that allows them to access just about any phone (iPhone, BB, Android, etc) regardless of the security measures incorporated. This software is probably already leaked, so criminals most likely have a copy by now (or will soon, it's just a matter of time), and then any criminal who finds your phone can get all your info off it.

Yes, I know a few law enforcement agencies have it, and I suspect that it won't be long before they are in a lawsuit over it. Stopping me for speeding or expired tags doesn't give them the right to search my phone. While some places can and will search your car without a warrant, those places are usually places you shouldn't be anyhow. One wrong step and the E.F.F. will be all over them for it. I'm pretty sure they are already looking into it. Regardless, you still have rights, stand up for them. There is a good video on youtube regarding how to deal with cops wanting to search your car.

Anyhow, you miss-understand, there is nothing sensitive on my phone. I treat my phone and laptop as if they are a public computer, nothing sensitive is stored there. Yes, I have contacts and a few passcodes, but they are worthless if you don't know what they go to. My sensitive info, is all kept password protected (and is not stored locally at all), on my home server, which can be accessed from any internet connection. I can wipe the phone remotely, or track it, but there is nothing on the phone itself to be too concerned about so they can scan all day long, they won't get anything.

As for criminals,
If they have one of those scanners, they probably would be better off stealing a phone from someone who is paying more than $25 a month for their phone service.

Last edited:

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I know this is off topic, but one last note on privacy. If you use google's sync feature, you are sol. You can wipe your phone all you want. Google makes backups of your contacts, emails, what have you. Even the deleted ones. I have gone through COUNTLESS wipes and flashes of my my phone. My contacts.db still has the names and phone numbers of people I deleted months ago. The only way this could have happened is google. I use it to restore my contacts. Who knew that would also store my deleted contacts? I'm not sure how long the deleted contacts stay in the file, but it is scary to think that maybe google keeps track of everyone you ever add to your phone book. I don't see how it serves any function besides scaring me. The end user cannot restore the deleted contacts without manually extracting the file and examining it. That means that only google knows that it is there and only google can use it (for whatever they would use it for). </rant>

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I know this is off topic, but one last note on privacy. If you use google's sync feature, you are sol. You can wipe your phone all you want. Google makes backups of your contacts, emails, what have you. Even the deleted ones. I have gone through COUNTLESS wipes and flashes of my my phone. My contacts.db still has the names and phone numbers of people I deleted months ago. The only way this could have happened is google. I use it to restore my contacts. Who knew that would also store my deleted contacts? I'm not sure how long the deleted contacts stay in the file, but it is scary to think that maybe google keeps track of everyone you ever add to your phone book. I don't see how it serves any function besides scaring me. The end user cannot restore the deleted contacts without manually extracting the file and examining it. That means that only google knows that it is there and only google can use it (for whatever they would use it for). </rant>

I take it you've never read Gmail's terms of service have you.

It's not as bad as Facebook (they don't give it out to every Tom, Dick and Harry and it's anonymized) but it's certainly not great either.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
They just stay in Other Contacts on Google Contacts in the web interface until you delete them from there.

They are deleted completely for me in the web interface, but I can clearly see them in my contacts database file on the phone including the contact information. Even if nothing nefarious is happening, this is just sloppy on google's part. Any "normal user" would assume all that information has been deleted.

@LeslieAnn
Doesn't everybody read the 300 page highly technical ToS before clicking accept to create their account? I mean, I know you're eager to share your pet cam footage on Youtube, but no one would be silly enough to click accept without first reading the ToS cover to cover and consulting with a lawyer, right? :)

Also, in case you guys missed it in my other thread, I already posted direct links to the firmware updates from LG's servers:

csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGVM670/AVGMBK/VM670ZV5_07/VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.cab
csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGVM670/AVGMBK/VM670ZV4_13/VM670ZV4_13.S4_13.P61007.cab

Parsing the link
Model number: LGVM670
Country/Service/Phone Color Code: AVGMBK = America + Virgin Mobile + Black
Baseband: V5
Version: 07
PRL: 61007

What I find interesting is the S5_07 and S4_13. I haven't see any firmware from other phones with that code. Maybe that S is significant.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
@LeslieAnn
Doesn't everybody read the 300 page highly technical ToS before clicking accept to create their account? I mean, I know you're eager to share your pet cam footage on Youtube, but no one would be silly enough to click accept without first reading the ToS cover to cover and consulting with a lawyer, right? :)

I didn't, but I remember when it was first released and how the stinky stuff hit the fan and was lightly being scattered around. It made news, but everyone thought much to highly of Google to pay any attention to it.

"Google is good!!!!"

ejlmd

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
@LeslieAnn

Also, in case you guys missed it in my other thread, I already posted direct links to the firmware updates from LG's servers:

csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGVM670/AVGMBK/VM670ZV5_07/VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.cab
csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGVM670/AVGMBK/VM670ZV4_13/VM670ZV4_13.S4_13.P61007.cab

Parsing the link
Model number: LGVM670
Country/Service/Phone Color Code: AVGMBK = America + Virgin Mobile + Black
Baseband: V5
Version: 07
PRL: 61007

What I find interesting is the S5_07 and S4_13. I haven't see any firmware from other phones with that code. Maybe that S is significant.

How does one do the firmware update using the cab file?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Normally, you would follow the guide I posted in this forum, but the cab files don't extract correctly at the moment. There is either something wrong with them or our approach. Either way, the files are useless until we sort it out.

rybshik

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
but the cab files don't extract correctly at the moment. .
File 'VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.cab' can be easily unpacked with Total Commander. It contains two files:
VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.wdb MD5: b53da998018b1d1298e54ccda44f94fe
VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.wdh MD5:96b0763d2013cf065e115d86208bc139

By the way, the link to 'VM670ZV4_13/VM670ZV4_13.S4_13.P61007.cab' is dead. Can anyone upload the file? Thanks/

Here I copy my post from another forum:
Has anyone successfully upgraded Optimums-V firmware VM670ZV4 to firmware VM670ZV5? I tried to use LGMobile Support Tool (from LG website) to upgrade the firmware. What I did was the following
1) By pressing Volume_Down+Home+Power, I put the handset to a special mode. The screen shows:
Android system recovery <3e>
Android system recovery utility
(selectable options are below: )
Reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

2) Connected the phone to my PC running WinXP SP3. In PC's Device Manager, the following shows up: ADB Interface, LGE Android Platform USB Modem, and Ports. I have captured my PC screen in the attached file.

3) I started the LG Tool. It first checked the phone, then created folder "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LGMOBILEAX\Phone" and downloaded the new firmware file 'VM670ZV5_07.cab' of size 101.4Mb into the folder. In this cab file, the following two files are packed:
VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.wdb 101Mb
VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.wdh 738 bytes

Immediately after these two files are unpacked into folder 'Phone', there was an error message by LG Tool about fatal error (not a MS Windows message). Then, the Tool automatically deleted all three files: 'VM670ZV5_07.cab', 'VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.wdb', 'VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007.wdh' as well as the folder 'Phone' itself.

I managed to capture all three files and checked the two unpacked files against the original cab. The files are the same, so there seems to be no file corruption.

So far, i have one specific question: In which mode should the phone be during the upgrade? Should it be the mode I have just described above (Is it actually called "Emergency Download" ?) If I try to put the phone in a regular powered mode, only 'ADB Interface' shows up in Device Manager (no Ports) and the LG Tool does not detect the phone presence (although the phone itself shows USB Debugging icon in the top left corner).

If I connect the phone un-powered , then LG Tool does detect the the phone at first, but then aborts just before downloading the cab file.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Reactions: JerryScript

rybshik

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
if you can find the missing VM670*.dll that's not included in the firmware cab files and post it.....
Is that <VM670*.dll> specific to firmware VM670ZV5_07.S5_07.P61007? Or is it a generic file, which work with any VM670 firmware for any carrier? Can you please give some pointers to how to use lgnpst with VM670 phone (better yet a brief tutorial) and what kind of version of lgnpst is needed?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe