Voice to Text "New Line/New Paragraph" does not work.

MacKenrick

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
My S10, which I believe is using Google voice recognition, does not respond to "New Line" or "New Paragraph". It stopped working some time ago and my internet searches have not produced any answers, only others that are having the same problem.
This is such a basic and very necessary command, I am surprised it is still not fixed. At least it does not work on my phone or my wife's. It does not work for Samsung Notes, Docs, Email, etc.
Does anyone know a fix to this issue? If not, is there another program I can use? It's my understanding that most Speech to Text Apps use Google Voice recognition so just installing another note taking app probably won't fix it.
Will installing another keyboard app like "Classic Big Keyboard, help?
Thank you very much for your help. I use voice to text every day and this is a real problem for me.

MacKenrick

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Mustang. Yes, I had checked that and Google speech to text is ON. I have been able to use speech to text, it's just not accepting the commands for New Line and New Paragraph. Is Google gboard a program within inself or is it like Google speech to text that will work on all the text editors like email, Samsung Notes, ColorNotes, etc? I noticed on Google Playstore that there are a TON of very poor ratings, most dated just within the last couple of days about Google speech to text freezing when trying to do an update and there is no way of getting out of it (rebooting, uninstalling, nothing seems to work.

Last edited:

MacKenrick

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I have a question about this forum. When I login to the forum and select Samsung S10, I don't see my post of today listed. I see other posts that were made, some of them two, three or more days ago but I don't see the one I just started today or the reply you posted today. I had to do a search for Speech to text. I do have Thread Display Options set to Show from Beginning and Show threads from last post. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have a question about this forum. When I login to the forum and select Samsung S10, I don't see my post of today listed. I see other posts that were made, some of them two, three or more days ago but I don't see the one I just started today or the reply you posted today. I had to do a search for Speech to text. I do have Thread Display Options set to Show from Beginning and Show threads from last post. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I changed you from guest to post owner that way you can find is easily

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Mustang. Yes, I had checked that and Google speech to text is ON. I have been able to use speech to text, it's just not accepting the commands for New Line and New Paragraph. Is Google gboard a program within inself or is it like Google speech to text that will work on all the text editors like email, Samsung Notes, ColorNotes, etc? I noticed on Google Playstore that there are a TON of very poor ratings, most dated just within the last couple of days about Google speech to text freezing when trying to do an update and there is no way of getting out of it (rebooting, uninstalling, nothing seems to work.
The Google text to speech should work through all those apps because u set the keyboard to use that

etrit

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
It's so frustrating that Google speech to text has been around for over a decade and they still haven't fixed this issue.

I've seen some other people mention that saying. But, it does not for me. I have also seen that saying new line and then your next word immediately after will give you a new line. For me, that works sometimes and I mean sometimes as in rarely. Normally it just says new line in text.

It is really so utterly stupid of Google not to focus on this issue. To me it kind of seems like they realize they would never be able to fix it and just gave up on it.

Although, there is an app called speechnotes that actually seems to have really good new line capability. The app developer says you have to pay for the app to get it to work however, I've discovered that you don't. The funny thing about it is that the app uses Google's speech to text engine just like all other apps. So in reality, it should be exactly the same is all other apps. For some reason though, it works fine.

So I'm really not sure what the issue is. I really wish it would work though because I want to start writing books etc using my phone and speech to text but you can't do that without a new line capability.

Mankx

Jun 2, 2022
Visit site
speech-to-text getting Dumber?

Make sure in settings >general settings that Google text to speech dictate is on if so then try Google gboard.

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here, As a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=409154

"New line" used to work just fine and then somehow doesn't now?!? I tried iPhone for a year and came back to a new s22 Ultra and I can't even get (saying) "quote" or "cap" to work.

Nor does there no longer seems to be the ability to add words dictation always misspells to a form of personal dictionary that I can find???

Does gboard or another solution help?

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: speech-to-text getting Dumber?

Used to work just fine and then somehow doesn't now?!? I tried iPhone for a year and came back to a new s22 Ultra and I can't even get (saying) "quote" or "cap" to work.

Nor does there no longer seems to be the ability to add words dictation always misspells to a form of personal dictionary that I can find???

Does gboard or another solution help?

The Samsung keyboard does learn new words just it ✓ and it will remember it

Mankx

Jun 2, 2022
Visit site

The Samsung keyboard does learn new words just it ✓ and it will remember it

??? Not sure what that means. There is no check mark I know of to (hit). I thought as we made manual corrections to dictation errors the system would eventually learn. My name for example; I've corrected countless times with no sign of the phone learning anyting.
My only guess at what you mean is if there was a spell check feature underlining questionable words, in olden times we could long hold and get a "add to dictionary" option. Could having predictive text turned off affect things?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

??? Not sure what that means. There is no check mark I know of to (hit). I thought as we made manual corrections to dictation errors the system would eventually learn. My name example I've corrected countless times with no sign of the phone learning anyting.
My only guess at what you mean is if there was a spell check feature underlining questionable words, in olden times we could long hold and get a "add to dictionary" option. Could having predictive text turned off affect things?
Let me switch to Samsung keyboard to show you

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

??? Not sure what that means. There is no check mark I know of to (hit). I thought as we made manual corrections to dictation errors the system would eventually learn. My name for example; I've corrected countless times with no sign of the phone learning anyting.
This adds words to your list when check Screenshot_20220602-152938_Messages.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I'm using Samsung keyboard but have disabled Samsung voice input, as some sources say having that and Google voice typing both enabled could cause conflicts. (not sure what to do with Google Legacy).
That was first thing I always do on my Samsung devices and never had a issue.

Mankx

Jun 2, 2022
Visit site

I'm using Samsung keyboard but have disabled Samsung voice input, as some sources say having that and Google voice typing both enabled could cause conflicts. (not sure what to do with Google Legacy).

Looks like predictive text must be turned on for the check mark to appear oh, and at that it's incredibly inconsistent!
Doesn't seem to appear with swipe or dictation, but only chicken pecking at keys after a couple letters, but goes away with more than three unrecognizable letters. ( trying to add "grrrr" and it appears after I type "gr" and disappears at the third r added.)
Also a thought , with predictive text turned on the system keeps suggesting I give grammarly full permissions oh, so I suppose that may the affecting things somehow.
( and is inserting "oh" before 30% of my commas a known issue also?)

I can live with only turning on predictive text when I need to add a word to the dictionary, but it appears that has no relationship to dictation because my name oh, now added, still doesn't transcribe correctly from voice.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Looks like predictive text must be turned on for the check mark to appear oh, and at that it's incredibly inconsistent!
Doesn't seem to appear with swipe or dictation, but only chicken pecking at keys after a couple letters, but goes away with more than three unrecognizable letters. ( trying to add "grrrr" and it appears after I type "gr" and disappears at the third r added.)
Also a thought , with predictive text turned on the system keeps suggesting I give grammarly full permissions oh, so I suppose that may the affecting things somehow.
( and is inserting "oh" before 30% of my commas a known issue also?)

I can live with only turning on predictive text when I need to add a word to the dictionary, but it appears that has no relationship to dictation because my name oh, now added, still doesn't transcribe correctly from voice.
Try Gboard if its any better