Voicemail integrated with dialer app?

DallasXanadu

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
I'm on my second day in the Android world - my only experience previously is with Windows phone and Apple. I have an unlocked S10+ running on AT&T. I was surprised to not see a 'voicemail' button on the dialer app like on my previous phones. One where I could see a list of voicemails and listen to or swipe to delete them, etc. The voicemail app is a completely different app, and when I use it I'm prompted to enter my password, hit 7 to delete, etc. It's like I'm using GTE call notes in 1997. I do see that I can hold down the 1 key to connect to VM, but I still have to enter my password and what not. Is there a better way?

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
It is because you have an unlocked device.

On a AT&T locked device the voicemail is integrated in the caller app as expected.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Open the Phone app, tap Menu>Settings>Call Settings>Voicemail, and see if you can modify the Voicemail Number to include a Pause character (either P or a comma), then your PIN (and * afterwards, if necessary). If it doesn't let you do that, then create a separate voicemail contact with that number and set it as a speed-dial (or create a Direct Dial widget for that contact on your homescreen).

DallasXanadu

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Open the Phone app, tap Menu>Settings>Call Settings>Voicemail, and see if you can modify the Voicemail Number to include a Pause character (either P or a comma), then your PIN (and * afterwards, if necessary). If it doesn't let you do that, then create a separate voicemail contact with that number and set it as a speed-dial (or create a Direct Dial widget for that contact on your homescreen).

So I did install the default VM app and was able to set it up to where I'm not required to enter my password, and I can delete without having to listen to it. It's still a separate app, but I can live with that. We don't really live in a voicemail world anymore luckily!

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
So I did install the default VM app and was able to set it up to where I'm not required to enter my password, and I can delete without having to listen to it. It's still a separate app, but I can live with that. We don't really live in a voicemail world anymore luckily!
Don't laugh, but I've recently started using my Google voice number as my voicemail.

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm talking about hard coded inbuilt vvm. Holding 1 on keypad dials my vm yes.
Sadly, using an unlocked phone on AT&T gets you no visual voicemail, wifi calling & that AT&T video calling feature (which I've never tried). There might be something else missing too. AT&T *could* provision the phone but doubtful that you could find a willing employee. I think you can at least flash the AT&T carrier stuff onto the phone but I believe that will also come with their bloatware. It is a must that I have wifi calling so I'm forced to go with the AT&T version. Still haven't even been able to carrier unlock it even though I have the code. Just a pain having to be on the phone for an hour & a half every time I call them.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Sadly, using an unlocked phone on AT&T gets you no visual voicemail, wifi calling & that AT&T video calling feature (which I've never tried). There might be something else missing too. AT&T *could* provision the phone but doubtful that you could find a willing employee. I think you can at least flash the AT&T carrier stuff onto the phone but I believe that will also come with their bloatware. It is a must that I have wifi calling so I'm forced to go with the AT&T version. Still haven't even been able to carrier unlock it even though I have the code. Just a pain having to be on the phone for an hour & a half every time I call them.
If you have the Samsung unlocked version it Should be carrier unlocked no need for unlock code ?
You can flash to carrier firmware if you want the Att stuff like video calm and WiFi calling.

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
If you have the Samsung unlocked version it Should be carrier unlocked no need for unlock code ?
You can flash to carrier firmware if you want the Att stuff like video calm and WiFi calling.
Unfortunately, I have the carrier version & have had nothing but headaches trying to get the phone carrier unlocked. I give up & will probably trade it in anyway for a Note 10+ which will be another AT&T model. I can live with the bloatware.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately, I have the carrier version & have had nothing but headaches trying to get the phone carrier unlocked. I give up & will probably trade it in anyway for a Note 10+ which will be another AT&T model. I can live with the bloatware.
Oh wow , yeah not a bad idea , note 10 looking good .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I was able to pre-register (not pre-order) & they are offering $600.trade-in on note 9.
I've heard they offering good deals like that , might make me tempted to trade my Note 9 but this phone is a beast hate to part with it .
Led notification
Head phone jack when needed, or Bluetooth
Iris unlock
Rear fingerprint unlock
Really good battery life
It's tough decisions

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
I thought you would have said ,trade it in for an unlocked note 10 not another carrier locked one. Lol

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I thought you would have said ,trade it in for an unlocked note 10 not another carrier locked one. Lol
I thought about that but just don't want to deal with an unlocked.
@Mustang,
I will miss that iris scan. I like having the headphone jack as an *option* but to be honest, I haven't used a wired headset even once since I've owned this N9 & maybe only once or twice with my N8. The N10/10+ will come with a dongle so if needed, I'll use that. I still want the MicroSD card option & that will make me choose an N10+. The other item I wanted was a true full screen... Not even a small punch hole but it will still be a sweet, sweet phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I thought about that but just don't want to deal with an unlocked.
@Mustang,
I will miss that iris scan. I like having the headphone jack as an *option* but to be honest, I haven't used a wired headset even once since I've owned this N9 & maybe only once or twice with my N8. The N10/10+ will come with a dongle so if needed, I'll use that. I still want the MicroSD card option & that will make me choose an N10+. The other item I wanted was a true full screen... Not even a small punch hole but it will still be a sweet, sweet phone.
I know it's tough decision,even for myself lol , well you look like you have 2 feet in , I have 1 let's see what happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware