Warning: back plate lifting!

leroy1703

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

There is a huge manufacturing defect in our beloved Sony Xperia Z phones. The back plate of the phone is kept in place with a glue, in order to provide the phones waterproofness. When the phone heats up though (either through hot weather or due to the processor heating up), this glue tends to get softer. Which in turn causes the glass back plate to lift. This lifting occurs in a particular region, the upper left corner, where the camera resides. Apparently, the NFC pins are slightly pressing against the glass, causing the lift when the glue is not strong enough.

This lifting of the backplate compromises the waterproofness of the phone. It also makes the glass more vulnerable, might the phone be dropped. These are two very important reasons for Sony to do something about it. Sony is still denying the problem though! Therefore we as users need to spread our word, to get their attention. Next to that, a lot of users don't realize they have this problem. The lift is very small (but serious). Especially when using a cover, it is hard to notice if you don't realize it is a possibility.

On the XDA-forums a thread has been started about this problem: {DISCUSSION}Xperia Z back glass coming unglued - xda-developers. On this thread, some pictures can be found that clearly show the lifted panel. A user there has also started a poll, to find out more about which phones are affected. The poll can be found here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1UK3Y8o4zeLZnAiPYJbyZrGon9aHGGxBhG1sf40GHmp8/viewform. Results of the poll are available here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fbfahW_Xb--atjfsF-tQ23abneNLkLmOeEkFaqZH9UY/edit?usp=sharing. Currently 62% of the total 372 reports have this problem. So it's very serious!

Therefore this shout out to all of you, Xperia Z owners. Please check whether you have this problem or not. You can easily tell by sliding your finger over the edge on both sides, you should feel a difference. On one side the edge sticks out (as it should), on the other side the glass sticks out. If you have this problem, chances are you're phone is not waterproof any longer.
Also please fill in the poll, even if you don't have the problem.

I really hope we can create some awareness amongst users. Next to that, I hope Sony can come up with a proper solution. If you send your phone for repair now, the problem is likely to return, as the same glue is often used.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

There is a huge manufacturing defect in our beloved Sony Xperia Z phones. The back plate of the phone is kept in place with a glue, in order to provide the phones waterproofness. When the phone heats up though (either through hot weather or due to the processor heating up), this glue tends to get softer. Which in turn causes the glass back plate to lift. This lifting occurs in a particular region, the upper left corner, where the camera resides. Apparently, the NFC pins are slightly pressing against the glass, causing the lift when the glue is not strong enough.

This lifting of the backplate compromises the waterproofness of the phone. It also makes the glass more vulnerable, might the phone be dropped. These are two very important reasons for Sony to do something about it. Sony is still denying the problem though! Therefore we as users need to spread our word, to get their attention. Next to that, a lot of users don't realize they have this problem. The lift is very small (but serious). Especially when using a cover, it is hard to notice if you don't realize it is a possibility.

On the XDA-forums a thread has been started about this problem: {DISCUSSION}Xperia Z back glass coming unglued - xda-developers. On this thread, some pictures can be found that clearly show the lifted panel. A user there has also started a poll, to find out more about which phones are affected. The poll can be found here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1UK3Y8o4zeLZnAiPYJbyZrGon9aHGGxBhG1sf40GHmp8/viewform. Results of the poll are available here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fbfahW_Xb--atjfsF-tQ23abneNLkLmOeEkFaqZH9UY/edit?usp=sharing. Currently 62% of the total 372 reports have this problem. So it's very serious!

Therefore this shout out to all of you, Xperia Z owners. Please check whether you have this problem or not. You can easily tell by sliding your finger over the edge on both sides, you should feel a difference. On one side the edge sticks out (as it should), on the other side the glass sticks out. If you have this problem, chances are you're phone is not waterproof any longer.
Also please fill in the poll, even if you don't have the problem.

I really hope we can create some awareness amongst users. Next to that, I hope Sony can come up with a proper solution. If you send your phone for repair now, the problem is likely to return, as the same glue is often used.

Thank you for the heads up. Is your device affected?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Reminds me of the nexus 7 glass lifting. Maybe it just needs to cure some under mild pressure?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the Sony Xperia Tablet Z...the tablet version of this phone. My question would be how many Xperia Z owners are having this problem? If I were to look at Amazon's reviews would most of them speak of this? Regardless, I hope their customer service take care of you, that it's just a bad lot, and not a problem that most or all of the Z's have...and I sure as h*** hope I don't experience this or any other issue in my tablet.

How long had you had your phone before you saw this issue?

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

poisonivy66

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I asked Sony's customer service about this and i was told by the agent that she hadn't heard of it.....surely Sony know about it, you just have to google it to find other threads on it.

kabelace

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking of buying this phone but this is putting me off, are thee any updates on this problem?
Same here, this is really putting me off getting the Z, hopefully Sony comes out with a proper fix. It is a PITA to have to send a new device away for warranty repairs.
Just sent my son's Galaxy off to Samsung and that took 3 calls to support as they kept screwing up the info on the shipping label.

malt1977

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Z since March and not had this issue. I can assure you that other devices have many other issues, and don't forget that we only really hear of the bad things that happen.
I wouldn't let this stop me from buying what I want, at the end of the day we all take a chance with everything we buy, phone, car, house....

Buy it, it's a great device and you'll be happy with your purchase. Don't forget, it has a 2 year warranty.

Gabriel Arndt

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
My back plate lifted as well to the point that I did experience a water damage. The power button and volume rocker went crazy and didnt respond properly. So I opened the device, put a new flex cable in there, bought a siny new back plate which had the glue tape already on and voila, today it sticks there better than on day one. Recommended! Just buy a new back plate. They seem to have improved the tape.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackdroid01