Wasn't happy with G3 and M8, what's the next best coice(s)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
OPO or nexus

I wouldn't bother with any other device as who knows if it'll even get updates a year from now

I think if there's a notable flaw there'd be an update to deal with it otherwise updates for the sake of updates for the sake of some new, yet-unannounced, feature? I'd not recommend limiting phones choices based on thoughts of what updates it may or may not get but I know the idea of updates does appeal to some. ...just seems like you could miss out on a lot of nice phones worrying about whether or not they'll see some update.

I love what I've seen from the Note 4 and would recommend that.

Sent from my LG G-PaD📱

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I think if there's a notable flaw there'd be an update to deal with it otherwise updates for the sake of updates for the sake of some new, yet-unannounced, feature? I'd not recommend limiting phones choices based on thoughts of what updates it may or may not get but I know the idea of updates does appeal to some. ...just seems like you could miss out on a lot of nice phones worrying about whether or not they'll see some update.

I love what I've seen from the Note 4 and would recommend that.

Sent from my LG G-PaD������

Tmobile GS3 hasn't and probably will never get 4.4.

4.4 was released about a year ago.

You pay a premium for a device, yet they don't treat it like a premium device.

The best phones are the ones where google controls the updates (or cyanogenmod) and the manufacturer/carrier has little control over it. I would recommend Moto, but they gave me hell over the motorola photon update fiasco so I'm not giving them my money.

http://www.cnet.com/news/android-users-outraged-over-motorolas-broken-promise/

To those that think fragmentation isn't alive, get real. I love android, but fragmentation pisses a lot of people off. The only reason people don't make a big deal about it is because they just buy a new phone every year. The updates I did receive on many of the carrier-bloated devices are subpar. Some updates actually cause more problems than they actually fix. my sprint galaxy nexus never got 4.3, and Sprint released a very **** poor implementation of the update preceding of the update prior.

Part of the reason why I even switched from sprint to tmobile was to get away from carrier bloated locked down bricks and move towards unlocked devices.

Last edited:

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
my moto x 2013 is easily the most fluid phone i've ever owned or even played around with.

and it easily has the worst battery life. even worse than my gnex, which is saying something.

not sure i'd trust the new version.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
^ I enjoy android. A lot. However, when I buy a phone I buy it for the features it has WHEN I BUY IT, not features it might get with an update. An update that could potentially introduce a problem or might leave me with less performance, I might add. I couldn't care less whether or not my S5, Note 3, or this LG GPad get android L. I say that just to say we phone enthusiasts have varying priorities and perspectives. An important aspect to one is meaningless to another.

Sent from my LG G-PaD📱

Last edited:

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
^ I enjoy android. A lot. However, when I buy a phone I buy it for the features it has WHEN I BUY IT, not features it might get with an update. An update that could potentially introduce a problem or might not leave me with less performance, I might add. I couldn't care less whether or not my S5, Note 3, or this LG GPad get android L. I say that just to say we phone enthusiasts have varying priorities and perspectives. An important aspect to one is meaningless to another.

Sent from my LG G-PaD������

What about at the launch of the device, they promise they'll add certain features "later"

or my favorite

i.e. 4.4 was released a month ago, they release the device with 4.3 with a big fat promise to add it "shortly after" but never happens.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
What about the at the launch of the device, they promise they'll add certain features "later"

or my favorite

i.e. 4.4 was released a month ago, they release the device with 4.3 with a big fat promise to add it "shortly after" but never happens.

That would annoy me too. However, I would ask "How important is that feature to me?" Am I buying this phone because of a promised feature (not likely). Android hasn't been a buggy mess for many a moon now and that may be why I am not too pressed with updates. However, I understand that to a lot of enthusiasts those updates are exciting and that's cool but then you get in that waiting game, "Where's my frick'n update!?" "You owe me an update! I want my update!" I just try to enjoy the phone/tablet with what it came with and try to do a little bit of research to avoid bugs. When updates do come I just hope they don't scraw anything up or degrade performance. I see a lot of complaints about that 'round these parts.

I still recommend the Note 4 (trying to get back on topic :) )

Sent from my LG G-PaD📱

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I'd go for the Z3
Good design, battery, screen, processor, Camera, waterproof, etc.
Seems like it hits all of your main points and more

Posted via the Android Central App with my Galaxy S5

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
That would annoy me too. However, I would ask "How important is that feature to me?" Am I buying this phone because of a promised feature (not likely). Android hasn't been a buggy mess for many a moon now and that may be why I am not too pressed with updates. However, I understand that to a lot of enthusiasts those updates are exciting and that's cool but then you get in that waiting game, "Where's my frick'n update!?" "You owe me an update! I want my update!" I just try to enjoy the phone/tablet with what it came with and try to do a little bit of research to avoid bugs. When updates do come I just hope they don't scraw anything up or degrade performance. I see a lot of complaints about that 'round these parts.

I still recommend the Note 4 (trying to get back on topic :) )

Sent from my LG G-PaD??????

Kind of off topic from the original OP, but that's why I'm a bit concerned about the "internet of things/home automation."

I mean Tesla model S has been out for 2 years now and tesla consistently improves it by adding new features and keeps updating it. That's why I'm weary of buying some nest products. It'll only work as long as Nest allows the backhaul of nest to operate. I really wanted a wifi irrigation system, but am leary of how long some of these companies will even be around for and I'll end up with a dead brick.

OP, just go oneplus one, can't go wrong. You can get two for the price one note 4 ;)

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Similar position as OP. Am ready to sell my G3. I picked up a Lumia 1020 to futz with, and as a b/u device (if you wanna think outta the box, camera is awesome). I'll once again be in on the annual Nexus hype & buying frenzy.

But yeah, G3 performance has been disappointing. My N5 was way smoother.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Kind of off topic from the original OP, but that's why I'm a bit concerned about the "internet of things/home automation."

I mean Tesla model S has been out for 2 years now and tesla consistently improves it by adding new features and keeps updating it. That's why I'm weary of buying some nest products. It'll only work as long as Nest allows the backhaul of nest to operate. I really wanted a wifi irrigation system, but am leary of how long some of these companies will even be around for and I'll end up with a dead brick.

OP, just go oneplus one, can't go wrong. You can get two for the price one note 4 ;)

Is the OnePlus One simple to acquire now or are they still clowning around with that gotta-have-an-invite stuff? When they get fully past that it'll be a good deal indeed.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Is the OnePlus One simple to acquire now or are they still clowning around with that gotta-have-an-invite stuff? When they get fully past that it'll be a good deal indeed.

You can go on the OPO forums here and people just give away the invites or find the OPO group on google +

I got 2 invites in one day easily.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You can go on the OPO forums here and people just give away the invites or find the OPO group on google +

I got 2 invites in one day easily.

I just worry about a company's viability when they're still needing to have such a method of acquiring a product. If I can't walk into a brick and mortar and see the product it's a no-go for me. They may get there one day.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I just worry about a company's viability when they're still needing to have such a method of acquiring a product. If I can't walk into a brick and mortar and see the product it's a no-go for me. They may get there one day.

I could care less about walking into a store. Cyanogenmod has a proven record of quality updates and software.

Can't walk into a nexus store either, but that works as well.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I could care less about walking into a store. Cyanogenmod has a proven record of quality updates and software.

Can't walk into a nexus store either, but that works as well.

OnePlus is not Google though. 1.5 years ago many of us had never heard of OnePlus. I'd just want a company with a little more history (when there are so many choices) for hardware support. When the company can barely produce enough units it doesn't instill a lot of confidence, from my perspective. The hardware is indeed nice, I hope OnePlus gets things together in another 6 months or so and can produce enough units to not seem so fly-by-night.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
OnePlus is not Google though. 1.5 years ago many of us had never heard of OnePlus. I'd just want a company with a little more history (when there are so many choices) for hardware support. When the company can barely produce enough units it doesn't instill a lot of confidence, from my perspective. The hardware is indeed nice, I hope OnePlus gets things together in another 6 months or so and can produce enough units to not seem so fly-by-night.

It's not about that they can't produce enough units, it's more so producing enough units economically.

If you think the hardware is nice, the software is much much nicer ;)

Buttery smooth software with top of the line specs. Is there any other phone out in the market that has 3 gb ram, 5.5" screen, 64 gb storage, snapdragon 801 processor for $350 with top of the line support by cyanogenmod?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It's not about that they can't produce enough units, it's more so producing enough units economically.

If you think the hardware is nice, the software is much much nicer ;)

Buttery smooth software with top of the line specs. Is there any other phone out in the market that has 3 gb ram, 5.5" screen, 64 gb storage, snapdragon 801 processor for $350 with top of the line support by cyanogenmod?

What about hardware support? What's their track record? That is my big concern.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
What about hardware support? What's their track record? That is my big concern.

Considering most of them are part of hardcore geek squd and are roaming about on these forums, has anyone really had any issues thus far?

I google searched, there isn't much talk about people having to warranty it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Considering most of them are part of hardcore geek squd and are roaming about on these forums, has anyone really had any issues thus far?

I google searched, there isn't much talk about people having to warranty it.

Well, $350 certainly isn't prohibitive so the risk is small.