Water Mark (Patch) on phone LCD, Need urgent help

newmanx

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I have been searching on this forum for various things for couple of years and never had the need to register until now, My Phone (Galaxy Mega 6.3 i9200) fell in water last week, not fully submerged, just the top of it for few seconds, i immediately pulled it out and have done the following as suggested by many in this same forum:

1. Dried in dry cloth and kept to dry for 1-2hrs
2. put the phone in a air tight container with unboiled rice for 4 days
3. put the phone in a air tight container with desiccant for 3 days

I have put some pictures and you can see the water level has gradually come down from the LCD screen and the cloud patch is somewhat gone and as you can see in the last image, that is what exists and this is not going at all, I have tried vaccum cleaner hot air for 3-5 mins but no luck.

Today i walked to samsung service center and they said i had voided the warranty which is obvious and the phone LCD replacement would cost $120 including labor, however there is one risk which they dont want to take, during the replacement of LCD, if the phone doesnt come alive, then i am stuck with a dead phone for life, I didnt agree to this and walked from there.

All the sensors including cameras work perfectly fine, no issues at all, *#0*# runs with all built-in function absolutely fine, even the battery has no issues and no bulging or no drop in performance and doesnt get heated up, so, here is my question:

1. As you can see the picture, the water level gradually came down, but stuck somewhat in the middle, will this eventually go away like the rest of the water patch or will it stick to LCD like a stain permanently ?

2. If its temporary, how do i remove the water which is in the middle of the screen? I have kept almost a week in dessicant and rice, should i continue or should i try something else ?

3. The last option for me: If this is going to be permanent, anyway to replace the phone LCD without damaging the phone, I dont understand samsung service center asking customer to take risk for water damage inspite of me agreeing to pay the money for the LCD replacement, not fair i guess....b.w all phone functionality could be lost in this case which is working perfectly fine.

so, guys pls suggest me how i can fix this, its a new phone 1 month old and i am feeling very sad for what happened....

Appreciate your replies

Thanks & Regards

Attachments

• IMG-20140702-00247.jpg
    IMG-20140702-00247.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20140706-00249.jpg
    IMG-20140706-00249.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20140709_230202.jpg
    20140709_230202.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 5

DickRilloa

Banned
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I have been searching on this forum for various things for couple of years and never had the need to register until now, My Phone (Galaxy Mega 6.3 i9200) fell in water last week, not fully submerged, just the top of it for few seconds, i immediately pulled it out and have done the following as suggested by many in this same forum:

1. Dried in dry cloth and kept to dry for 1-2hrs
2. put the phone in a air tight container with unboiled rice for 4 days
3. put the phone in a air tight container with desiccant for 3 days

I have put some pictures and you can see the water level has gradually come down from the LCD screen and the cloud patch is somewhat gone and as you can see in the last image, that is what exists and this is not going at all, I have tried vaccum cleaner hot air for 3-5 mins but no luck.

Today i walked to samsung service center and they said i had voided the warranty which is obvious and the phone LCD replacement would cost $120 including labor, however there is one risk which they dont want to take, during the replacement of LCD, if the phone doesnt come alive, then i am stuck with a dead phone for life, I didnt agree to this and walked from there.

All the sensors including cameras work perfectly fine, no issues at all, *#0*# runs with all built-in function absolutely fine, even the battery has no issues and no bulging or no drop in performance and doesnt get heated up, so, here is my question:

1. As you can see the picture, the water level gradually came down, but stuck somewhat in the middle, will this eventually go away like the rest of the water patch or will it stick to LCD like a stain permanently ?

IDK, and apparently the Samsung service peeps don't either. It would be a gamble for them too.

2. If its temporary, how do i remove the water which is in the middle of the screen? I have kept almost a week in dessicant and rice, should i continue or should i try something else ?

What you did sofar did mitigate the visible damage. Considerably, even, IYAM. Though obviously not enough yet. So in your shoes I would keep that process going in dry rice for at least another 3 weeks, replacing the rice daily with 'fresh' dry rice. And check/record (shoot pictures like yours above) any progress daily. No guarantees, however.

3. The last option for me: If this is going to be permanent, anyway to replace the phone LCD without damaging the phone, I dont understand samsung service center asking customer to take risk for water damage inspite of me agreeing to pay the money for the LCD replacement, not fair i guess....b.w all phone functionality could be lost in this case which is working perfectly fine.

The service people ought to be able to replace the screen without damaging the phone. Could you? Well, if you have to ask odds are you can't.
But the water could have damaged, invisibly, internal parts and modules of your phone too. With the adverse effects of that damage only manifesting themselves after Samsung have replaced your screen assembly. That's why they can't give you any warranty.

Last edited:

newmanx

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
@DickRilloa thanks for your reply.

yesterday it was raining heavily and my cousin became full wet along with his phone, he then put his phone under the seat of his scooter and drove whole day, when he reached home, the phone had became too hot and what a surprise it was fully dried and no water in LCD or whatsoever and absolutely working fine.

I took this idea and wanted to try the same but didnt want to drive a scooter in the rain :p
so, i decided i will put the phone somewhere it is not too hot and above warm, i took a small bag, put my phone (removed battery), connected my vaccum cleaner in opposite where you get hot air (blower) and closed the bag leaving small room for air to escape, left it for 15mins initially, there was no sign of improvement, then again left for 20mins and this is what the phone looks now (see attachment).

Eurekaaaaa! the water in the phone is getting dried much faster, i am gonna try this for some more time and post here if the phone is completely dried. :)

Attachments

• IMG-20140710-00254.jpg
    IMG-20140710-00254.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 6

wille8989

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
i put a small layer of plastic padding (elastic) on the back, and my lcd white marks are gone=),

but don,t know if it works for everyone, do it on your owen risk=),