WAZE and GPS issues.

_YoKolorMeBadd

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
No, but glad you brought this up. It's something Waze is going to have to address. It's my go-to app for navigation, so hopefully they will look into it, but if it's only affecting Ultra users (or even S20 users) it may take awhile for them to notice.

I left a review stating the issue. Also, when you look at reviews and select "this device only" you will see the same complaints.
I was having the same issue with my S10+. GPS won't pick up at all.

Monee_121

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Finally I'm not the only one. I've had this issue where it lags before showing my current location. I emailed tech support and they told me to try a GPS test app and make sure location permission was granted. All of my GPS services are fine with every app except Waze. I emailed them back and said there is an apparent bug and they might want to address it.

daswooski

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
So what is the path forward here?
Are we waiting for Waze to update their software or Samsung?
6377ce778489ac967dc73698b60541fc.jpg

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Finally I'm not the only one. I've had this issue where it lags before showing my current location. I emailed tech support and they told me to try a GPS test app and make sure location permission was granted. All of my GPS services are fine with every app except Waze. I emailed them back and said there is an apparent bug and they might want to address it.

Just checked using a GPS tracking app. Keep in mind, this was measured indoors and is currently very cloudy/rainy weather.

Attachments

• 3279.jpg
    3279.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 34

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That would depend on what the problem is. I'm puzzled why only some are seeing it. I keep checking mine but I get a signal every time.
So what is the path forward here?
Are we waiting for Waze to update their software or Samsung?
6377ce778489ac967dc73698b60541fc.jpg
Hmm interesting, I just tried now and was able to replicate the problem. Earlier didn't have the issue. Weird I didn't change anything and I don't turn off any services since I don't believe in turning off things

I also checked Google maps at the same time and no issue there.

4fc1e437184d11580dbdcadfc12187f2.jpg

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
From same spot on my pixel 4 XL no issues with Waze.

75354f392c2eef77f4a894ae881f323d.jpg

Compared the Waze app permissions on my pixel and Ultra, they are exactly same and no change there. Same with location services and any other stuff since I don't mess around with any of those.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
After today's update, Waze is working for me. GPS lock is instant, wasn't working at all for me prior. They must of fixed the error.
Yep can confirm here as well, tried after the latest update on my US unlocked Ultra and GPS lock is super fast and instant on Waze app. Let's see if it's permanent or it'll come back. I originally didn't have the issue until I checked yesterday when the issue popped up for me. But after the update it works again and we will see how it goes over the next few days.

daswooski

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Can someone advise what update? What is the number? Carrier model or unlocked? US or which country?
Please be a little more specific?
Many thanks

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Can someone advise what update? What is the number? Carrier model or unlocked? US or which country?
Please be a little more specific?
Many thanks
There are couple of threads discussing the new updates. What carrier you are on? There is a new update rolling out on Verizon, Sprint and US unlocked models on Sprint, Verizon from yesterday night. If you fall into one of those category then may be go and check if there is an update available. If you are on TMobile or AT&T it should roll out soon.

daswooski

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
There are couple of threads discussing the new updates. What carrier you are on? There is a new update rolling out on Verizon, Sprint and US unlocked models on Sprint, Verizon from yesterday night. If you fall into one of those category then may be go and check if there is an update available. If you are on TMobile or AT&T it should roll out soon.
Thanks, US Unlocked using Tmo SIM but no update yet? Still getting error with Waze but hopefully update will reach me soon..

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, US Unlocked using Tmo SIM but no update yet? Still getting error with Waze but hopefully update will reach me soon..
Yes update is not available yet for you. Even though you are on US unlocked model it still depends on what carrier sim you are using and if the update is certified is for that carrier etc. You are using TMobile and the update isn't rolling yet for TMobile or US unlocked model using TMobile sim.

If it's confusing yeah it's little confusing the way Android updates are pushed based on what carrier sim you are using etc. FWIW it's the case even on Pixel phones.

If you want update immediately then if you have a friend on Verizon or Sprint, put their sim on you phone and restart and it'll register that your phone as tied to that carrier and you can pull the update. Once it's updated you can switch back to your TMobile sim. Or you can just wait

daswooski

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes update is not available yet for you. Even though you are on US unlocked model it still depends on what carrier sim you are using and if the update is certified is for that carrier etc. You are using TMobile and the update isn't rolling yet for TMobile or US unlocked model using TMobile sim.

If it's confusing yeah it's little confusing the way Android updates are pushed based on what carrier sim you are using etc. FWIW it's the case even on Pixel phones.

If you want update immediately then if you have a friend on Verizon or Sprint, put their sim on you phone and restart and it'll register that your phone as tied to that carrier and you can pull the update. Once it's updated you can switch back to your TMobile sim. Or you can just wait
Thanks bhatech!
I searched a bit and see that updates are rolling out that improve the camera as well...and in these posts it says the SIM should not matter? I have done the SIM swap deal many times to get into the beta builds
Anyway, since I am not traveling for awhile and won't need Waze, I quess ill wait...
Time to juice the Pixel 3 up and play with Android 11...
but thanks very much!

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks bhatech!
I searched a bit and see that updates are rolling out that improve the camera as well...and in these posts it says the SIM should not matter? I have done the SIM swap deal many times to get into the beta builds
Anyway, since I am not traveling for awhile and won't need Waze, I quess ill wait...
Time to juice the Pixel 3 up and play with Android 11...
but thanks very much!
It all depends, for Pixel phones even for Google store unlocked what SIM you are using matters. For Samsung US Unlocked phones it used to not matter and the updates to US Unlocked phones were used to be pushed only once all major US carriers have certified. But looks like for S20 series they are taking the Pixel route and push updates to the US unlocked as and when carriers certify instead of waiting for all carriers to certify. This is good so that it doesn't unnecessarily delay update for everyone because one crappy carrier is slow in certifying the update.

We will have to wait and see few more updates is that's truly the case but based on current updates it does look that way.

And the update strategy for the international unlocked models and other regions could be completely different than what they follow in the US models.

daswooski

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Updated to ATCH Build ...All good now on Unlocked S20+ w/ T-Mobile SIM
No Problems with GPS getting a lock on Location for Waze or Google Maps

As far as Camera...
Zoom, close ups, night shots all good
Camera Version is 10.0.01.098

Of course this a lot different for you all with the Ultra out there...but I hope you see some improvement?

CDEMP11008

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm interesting, I just tried now and was able to replicate the problem. Earlier didn't have the issue. Weird I didn't change anything and I don't turn off any services since I don't believe in turning off things

I also checked Google maps at the same time and no issue there.

4fc1e437184d11580dbdcadfc12187f2.jpg

CDEMP11008

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I had problems with Waze on my new S20 Ultra on ATT and Android Auto. I solved my problem by unstalling the app and reinstalling. Now Waze works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe