Weird rotation bug with Youtube

Frodont

Sep 16, 2022
Visit site
Hello people, following issue: When i watch youtube videos in landscape mode, the video stopped rotating depending on what side the phone stands.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 and I always use the portrait mode. Even in that mode though, apps would adjust the rotation depending on which side the phone stands. That still works for every other App, other than youtube recently. It just stopped doing that and always defaults to a left side position. I would have to do the rotation manually. I can enforce how it was before temporary, by switching from a app in landscape mode to Youtube, but that only works for the current video. I have tried restarting portrait mode, Youtube itself, then my phone, then did a complete system restart and a Cache whipe, but nothing worked.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you saying YouTube will only auto-rotate properly when you're holding the phone in landscape mode with the left side of the phone down, but if you turn the phone to landscape with the right side of the phone down, it doesn't rotate properly?

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Last edited:

Frodont

Sep 16, 2022
Visit site
Okay, OP of the thread here. Before I elaborate on my issue, please bear in mind that I'm not a native english speaker, so forgive any errors or wonky wording. To set the stage, Im using a Samsung Galaxy s10 and I'm aware that my phone is in Portrait mode. The issue is the following: When I use Youtube (The App) and enter fullscreen while in Portrait mode, I can still rotate the screen to left or right by doing the motion (which is, lying the phone down to either side). Since yesterday (The 15.09.2022 to be specific), this stopped functioning, but only for the Youtube app specificly. It now always defaults to the "Left down, right up position" when i go fullscreen on a youtube video and does not readjust itself depening on how the phone lies. I can enforce that by going to the homescreen while the video is in fullscreen, allowing it to rotate again, but that only works for current video and ceases to function again when i open up another on. I have tested the rotation after disabling Portrait mod and that works perfectly. But once I go back to portrait mod, it stops functioning again. I could temporary fix that by deinstalling and reinstalling all youtube updates, but that function randomly started to brick again after a couple of videos.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

Just to be sure, Auto-Rotate is turned on in the swipe-down Quick Settings panel, right?

And BTW, your English is great.:)

Frodont

Sep 16, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for that.

It isn't, but like I said, Auto-rotate is not the issue I have. It actually works without any issues. I'm strictly talking about Portrait mode. Before I had the issue, My phone would adjust the screen depending on which side it lies. This has worked in Portrait mode and it still works in Portrait mod for every other app that is used in Landscape mode. If the phone lies on the left side, it will rotate acordingly, if it lies on the right side it will too. Weirdly enough, it works for the browser version of youtube. It is only the Youtube App and it happened seemingly out of nowhere. I had no Updates before it happend and did no setting changes.

If the issue is too obscure and unfixable then oh well, it is what it is. I personally just really love the portrait mode as I use my phone primarily when lying down, so having to turn it off just for Youtube is annoying but not the end of the world. I really hope its fixable though.

Edit: And just to be totally clear, I'm speaking about Youtube Videos in fullscreen not adjusting themselve to the position of the phone in Portrait Mode, despite that working without any issues before.

Frodont

Sep 16, 2022
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your inpute. Your advice has sadly not become a permanent solution, but it helped me narrow down the problem. After clearing all Data on Youtube, the screen rotation works for every video until I restart the app, after which the function bugs again. Restarting App without clearing data does not fix the issue, so I think its fair to assume that it has something to do with the Data

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Try uninstall the update to YouTube to do so long press YouTube icon then tap info>3 dots upper right corner tap >uninstall update
Don't let play store automatically update it see if works on previous version.

Frodont

Sep 16, 2022
Visit site
Hi, yeah, seems like an issue with current version Youtube. I cant replicate the bug in factory new Youtube, but its not s helpful solution either, as Youtube forces me to update after a opening ans closing the app a couple times

Frodont

Sep 16, 2022
Visit site
Quick update: For whatever reason, a mystery I cant even begin to fathom, the issue resolved itself. It randomly started working again, without me doing anything like restarting, changing any settins nor updating anything. I just pray to god that it dosnt happen again. Thank you to everyone lending me their aid in this bizarre problem and apologies for this anticlimatic finale.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Quick update: For whatever reason, a mystery I cant even begin to fathom, the issue resolved itself. It randomly started working again, without me doing anything like restarting, changing any settins nor updating anything. I just pray to god that it dosnt happen again. Thank you to everyone lending me their aid in this bizarre problem and apologies for this anticlimatic finale.
Hopefully stays that way , definitely strange but glad it's back to normal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g1303bk