Weird Text Issue

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Tried searching for a similar topic but didn't come across one.

Have a strange issue as of late with Google Messages ... I can be in the middle of a conversation with someone, but once they send a picture it'll start a new text thread from the contract and my cell number. See the pic below ...
I was chatting with the guy in the conversation circled for a bit. Then he sent me a picture and it started the another thread from him and my cell number. I can send a picture without issue ...it's just when I receive pictures. This has happened with multiple contacts ... it's very bizarre!

Anyone facing this?

Screenshot_20220419-135413_Messages.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've seen this issue as well (mostly on groups, since those come in as MMS). But once I tap on the 'duplicate' thread, it usually just disappears and the conversation list re-arranges itself. Try turning chat options on/off on Google Messages (don't know if this will work but I'd assume this would force a re-sync with Google's servers). Another thing you could try is switching default message apps (BUT last time I did this I ended up with a bunch of unread messages and a few duplicated text threads for some reason).

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I cannot get the threads to merge at all. I tried switching to Samsung messages and it didn't work there either. It's very annoying LOL

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled the Google Messages beta (forgot I was in the beta LOL) and tested things and so far so good. Thinking about who this happens with I think they've all been iPhone users, so I sent myself some texts from my work phone and then sent some pics and no duplicate thread. Hopefully it was a quirk with the beta

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled the Google Messages beta (forgot I was in the beta LOL) and tested things and so far so good. Thinking about who this happens with I think they've all been iPhone users, so I sent myself some texts from my work phone and then sent some pics and no duplicate thread. Hopefully it was a quirk with the beta

Ahhh. I figured this was a beta issue! Debating going back to the regular one too.

13Flossy

Apr 30, 2022
Visit site
Try s better messaging app like textra.
Ever since our last update my Google works only half the time at best. If so things Google ????????????*♀️

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Try s better messaging app like textra.
Ever since our last update my Google works only half the time at best. If so things Google ������������*♀️

I'd LOVE to go back to Textra... but web access is non-existent and their team has made it crudely clear that they're not even interested. That's what keeps me coming back to Google Messages.