What determines how the phone unlocks?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes my phone makes me put in my number unlock and sometimes I can just use the fingerprint. Is there a way so that it always defaults to the fingerprint sensor and then maybe goes to the number if the finger fails after so many attempts? The finger sensor on mine works nice and fast. And, smart unlock doesn't work about 30% of the time so getting to use the FPS would be much faster/easier. I don't see a setting for that in the security options.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This has been discussed elsewhere, like here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/g...ern-unlock-not-fingerprint-2.html#post7019412. You can never have the phone rely only the fingerprint sensor, because it will always periodically ask for your PIN/pattern/password -- this is for added security, since fingerprint is actually not as secure. Before the Dec/Jan update, I believe the Pixel 6 line had a bug where it would ask for the PIN/pattern/password too frequently -- after the update, it sounds like that may have been corrected. But you still can't use fingerprint all the time without ever having to enter your backup unlock method.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC