What does "launch" date mean?

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Oct 9th launch. Does that mean announcement that it is coming? You can order on that date? Buy it on that date? Future order date announced? Release date announced?

What exactly happens on the "launch date"

Guto Aaron

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Usually it means that's when they unveil the products and you can order one. The product may not be on shelves or be delivered for a few weeks/months more though.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
okay, two completely different opinions as to what "launch date" means

No, they are saying the same thing. Just need a bit more detail.

Launch date is when a phone is officially announced and generally available for pre-order, though sometimes pre-order might not be open for a few days. You can then place an order, but shipping/delivery may not be for a few days or even weeks in some cases.

Google's event date is October 9th and it's expected that the Pixel 3's will be available for pre-order on that date as well.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Oct 9th launch. Does that mean announcement that it is coming? You can order on that date? Buy it on that date? Future order date announced? Release date announced?

The launch date is the day they actually empty your wallet ;-)

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I've always took it that all of those except except the last one would/could fall under launch date. They launch their new device when they announce it, sometimes you can order or buy it on that date, sometimes they open preorders on that date or announce when it can be ordered on that date.

I've always taken the release date to mean the day they start shipping orders or the day customers can go into a store and buy them.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I always understood launch date to mean the day it's actually available for purchase at retail. Not when it's revealed, not when it's up for preorder.

Just like the launch date for a movie is the day you can watch it in the cinema. Not when the trailer is released, not when you can pre-purchase movie ticket.

October 9th will be the announcement date for the Pixel 3 and other Google products. Launch date will hopefully be revealed on the 9th.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Actually I don't see the term launch being used. Everyone is using the term release. On the Google site they just list it as updates and news. The bottom line is that last last year it was available for pre-order on the release date.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Google needs to rock the boat and make it "available today." Word on the street is that OP6T is getting revealed on Oct 17th.

If OP can get the camera software right, then they could undercut the Pixel 3 XL by $250+. And not to mention a more attractive implementation of the notch.

Pixel 3 needs to be priced just right around $700. starting at $650, available on a Verizon and GSM carrier (AT&T) and things get very interesting.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Google needs to rock the boat and make it "available today." Word on the street is that OP6T is getting revealed on Oct 17th.

If OP can get the camera software right, then they could undercut the Pixel 3 XL by $250+. And not to mention a more attractive implementation of the notch.

Pixel 3 needs to be priced just right around $700. starting at $650, available on a Verizon and GSM carrier (AT&T) and things get very interesting.

I guess making it available on AT&T could help exposure driven sales, but most people who want a Pixel can just buy it direct from Google

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I think it would definitely would. I recall seeing something about the P3 no longer being a Verizon exclusive and some code testing for an unspecified GSM carrier. Since OP made its deal with T-Mobile, AT&T is the logical choice.

There are still a ton of people who walk into their carrier stores and simply say, "I'm due for an upgrade," and let the sales rep take care of the rest.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think it would definitely would. I recall seeing something about the P3 no longer being a Verizon exclusive and some code testing for an unspecified GSM carrier. Since OP made its deal with T-Mobile, AT&T is the logical choice.

There are still a ton of people who walk into their carrier stores and simply say, "I'm due for an upgrade," and let the sales rep take care of the rest.

I feel sorry for those people

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

That's sad, and they aren't doing the rest of us any favors either by reinforcing the ridiculous price escalations :-[

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarkarsly