What is a good Android streaming device for use with Xfinity TV?

gil_happy

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Looking for Android streaming device for use with Xfinity TV

Hello,

As some of you know, Comcast offers the ability to watch / stream live TV (Xfinity TV) on up to 5 devices within your home - these include, iOS, Android, and PC based devices. Unfortunately this is not supported on Roku, AppleTV, etc. Rather than lease additional X1 set top boxes for all of TVs in my home, I'm thinking about using an Android based streaming box w/ remote for each of the extra TVs. The Android device must have the ability to install the full catalog of apps, in this case 'Xfinity TV'.

I'm looking at possibly using Nexus Player and rooting it (I think that is what is need to install Xfinity TV), or possibly another native Android streaming device (Chromecast, FireTV) from Amazon or eBay. I have tested an Android HDMI dongle a year or two ago from China, but the performance was horrible.

Does anyone have suggestions for an Android streaming device, with a remote control that would work with the Xfinity TV app so that I could play live TV on my flat-screen TV.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

gil_happy

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Looking for Android streaming device for use with Xfinity TV

Maybe this will help clarify things.... If I root / install custom firmware on any of the following; Nexus Player / Chromecast / Fire, do I have access to "ALL" apps from the Google Play market? If the answer is yes, then I should be able to install Xfinity TV.

Thanks

Wilberries

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Looking for Android streaming device for use with Xfinity TV

I have installed a custom ROM on the nexus player which provides a full Android 5 interface, this also provides the full google play store. I am not sure whether rooting provides full google play store. It may, but the nexus player OS uses the leanback launcher which is a modified version of android 5 and intended to work with a remote as the interface.

From what I read here [REF] List of apps that work with Nexus Play… | Nexus Player | XDA Forums

the Xfinity app is not supported (look near bottome of the page on the link above) on the nexus player, so you'd have to install a custom rom like the one below.

[ROM][AOSP][LolliRock][v.1.5] | Nexus Player | XDA Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abes