What Is The Best App For...?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
From an idea by @B. Diddy.

Members and guests sometimes ask for recommendations about various kinds of app, and of course, it's a perfectly legitimate topic of discussion and can lead to interesting exchanges. No problem there.

But, beware the spammers, who have no interest in anything other than promoting their own app for doing this or that. Let's take collage-making apps as an example. 'What,' we are asked, 'is the best app for making collages?'

Such a question, taken at face value, can hardly be answered. There are countless apps in the Play Store for making collages, and the only person qualified to say which is best would be the one who has tried them all and made a deep comparative study, and even then, what is 'best' for that person might be useless for someone else. Nevertheless, there are people who will immediately post a reply assuring the questioner that this or this app is the best. The result is a 226-point infraction and a permanent ban, because this is obvious tag-team spamming. The app itself may actually be very bad, clogged with ads which hardly give you the chance to use it properly, or requiring suspiciously many app permissions to which it has no obvious right.

Spammers will sometimes similarly promote certain types of software, such as that for data retrieval. This software, they assure us, is unsurpassed for the task. It is, in fact, the best. They neglect to support the assertion with any facts, don't mention the high price that the user will have to pay, and make no reference to unpleasantnesses of one kind or another which may find their way system-deep into your PC.

The easiest way to evaluate an app, for genuine enquirers, is to read the Play Store reviews of it, taking care that they're not fake reviews. Judge whether the required permissions are appropriate for the type of app.

Of software programs, be much more cautious, and read about them fully first.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
We've all developed a sixth sense for these spammers, so hopefully, you all as Android Central community members will rarely come across them because they will already have been condemned to the 9th circle of Android heck. If you do see any that seem suspicious, click that little Report button (that looks like a triangle with an exclamation point in it) and let us know!

dbsapps

Oct 27, 2019
Visit site
Hello,
I found this site after tediously trying to find out why and which app and/or what procedure I need to ''fix' the ability to copy and paste verbatim exactly the way I have always been able to do using Apple iPhone or Apple tablets. My switch to the newest Samsung Note 10+ and their tablets for my business and staff comes after using these Apple products for 5+ years and finding dissatisfaction with them within the last couple of years (since Steve Job's passing). While much is better about these Android based devices, what I can't figure out is why the function of copy and paste has not changed since around 2007 when I tried a friend's Android device and figured that since I could not make copy pasting in quite the same way I'll just 'stick with what works' for me and wait until maybe it changes.
It is surprising that here we are in 2019 and I am having the same issues with copying and pasting using Android based devices as in 2007. You may think it is stupid to save useful material as found online but too often, it has been extremely helpful not only for practical work related reasons but also demonstrative of examples of news and propaganda related activities which are consistently deleted.
In closing, I forget who coined the phrase 'Who controls the past controls the future' but my saved materials confirm this truth and, whether or not this is deleted by the time anyone finds this post, David Bowie in this shared interview was right about the Internet ( note: this site does not allow me to share a link to an interview with David Bowie, but in it, he was so right about what he said about the potential future impact!)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
I found this site after tediously trying to find out why and which app and/or what procedure I need to ''fix' the ability to copy and paste verbatim exactly the way I have always been able to do using Apple iPhone or Apple tablets. My switch to the newest Samsung Note 10+ and their tablets for my business and staff comes after using these Apple products for 5+ years and finding dissatisfaction with them within the last couple of years (since Steve Job's passing). While much is better about these Android based devices, what I can't figure out is why the function of copy and paste has not changed since around 2007 when I tried a friend's Android device and figured that since I could not make copy pasting in quite the same way I'll just 'stick with what works' for me and wait until maybe it changes.
It is surprising that here we are in 2019 and I am having the same issues with copying and pasting using Android based devices as in 2007. You may think it is stupid to save useful material as found online but too often, it has been extremely helpful not only for practical work related reasons but also demonstrative of examples of news and propaganda related activities which are consistently deleted.
In closing, I forget who coined the phrase 'Who controls the past controls the future' but my saved materials confirm this truth and, whether or not this is deleted by the time anyone finds this post, David Bowie in this shared interview was right about the Internet ( note: this site does not allow me to share a link to an interview with David Bowie, but in it, he was so right about what he said about the potential future impact!)

Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for the post -- but it's probably better to create a new thread for your thoughts, since it's not entirely relevant to the original post in this thread.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
And the other thing is the rating, an app with 500K downloads sometimes have just like 1000 ratings and another 500K downloads app has over 30 000 ratings, So fake ratings and reviews are becoming a common thing in play store. So in ratings, if the app has 1000s of ratings without Ms of downloads it seems like a fake in the first place.

Thankfully, fake ratings are easy to spot. Regardless of how many there are, go read them. If it's something generic and a lot of them are saying the same, then they are likely fakes. If they actually go into some detail, probably real. Also look at both the positive and negative reviews. The negative ones will be pointing out potential pitfalls of an app that a positive reviewer either didn't notice or intentionally avoided mentioning in their review.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej